Just nailed an interview so I'm moving to China

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wow, 'sage, had no idea you had applied --you're going to have, at the very least, a very mind-opening experience. Life in China is different, but I think you're going to enjoy this.

[Kiel: he's far from Shanghai, closer to Beijing]

I'm in Times Square right now and I had too much 160 proof vodka to drink and I have to pee real bad right now but I read a lot of your China posts from 2005 or whatever and they helped me get an idea for what I'm ready for so thanks a lot also woo hooo New York fuck this city and the prices but i likea da pizza

edit: i'm drunk right now but this is a great top post

SIXPACK

Armored Scrum Object
Home is where the heart is and i left mine in China....wish you the best!

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
can we be culturally insensitive and change his name to Ronesage?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ok back from NY, had a great fucking adventure but time to start looking up some plane tickets, I guess. I'll have to get to Tangshan by Feb 10th, and yeah just teaching English. Here's part of my contract:

Remuneration
The Intern’s remuneration will consist of the following:
1. A basic monthly salary of RMB4000 for the three months (probation period), and then will be paid to 6000 RMB from the 4th month .Which is due and payable on the 5th of the month after the working month, not in advance. (The attendance record will be tracked from the 1st to the last day of the previous month)
2. The completion bonus will be paid as 2000RMB at the end of the contract
3. The Intern will be reoffered a one year contract when complete the internship, the Intern’s salary will be adjusted to school’s regular pay based on his performance
4. The Employer will provide Intern with an apartment to live in for the length of the contract term with bedroom, one sitting room, one bathroom, western toilet, kitchen, and with appliances such as water heater, washing machine, refrigerator, furniture, color TV with cable, air-conditioner, cooking stove, Telephone, computer with free internet access. Employer is to pay RMB200 bills of gas, electric, and water per month. The extra fee needed pay by the Intern. And the Intern is responsible for the telephone fee.
4. The Employer will provide RMB300 with meal allowance each month.
Other benefits
The Intern will enjoy on cultural tourism and be provided 1 hr mandarin lesson per week freely

Working Hours
Working load is max 25 teaching hours per week; no more than 50minutes for per teaching hour, The Intern will be given a weekly schedule, however the Employer reserves the right to change schedule as required. The Employer will try to accommodate the Intern’s schedule to offer two days off. However, due to fluctuating student demand, the Employer reserves the right to separate those two days off.

Free rent, free Mandarin lessons, 300 extra renminbi for food on top of my salary, 25 hour work weeks? Sounds solid to me.

About Bobak's China posts, anyone interested should search them. I really enjoyed reading them and it gave me an idea of what it'll be like. I do have asthma so the polluted air is a minor worry for me but I'm sure I'l be fine. I think exploring the world is seeing the grime along with the glitz of it so I'm really excited for it; like everyone knows I didn't go to college and don't have a degree but hopefully in a few years I'd like to go to Thailand, which is a place I've wanted to go for a while now. I'll be putting my motorcycle on craigslist pretty soon and I'm thinking of a checklist for everything; a month isn't a lot of time for me to say goodbyes and all but the sooner the better.

I didn't buy any luggage bags in NYC while I was there but maybe I should have? In retrospect the prices looked decent and maybe buying luggage suitcases online would be more expensive. Oh well.

Any suggestions for a cheap, nice laptop I'll take into consideration.

Really surprised at the support and feedback - I mean I'm moving irl, not online, so it doesn't affect any of you (as long as ng.com isn't firewalled by china), but thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Just seeing this Sage. Congrats man!

Sounds like one helluva an adventure. {fist bumps}

But you're a Runaway train, runaway train. China ain't gonna know what hit them.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Congrats man. You will love the food, and I know what you mean about the grime, there is something charming about it. I'll PM ya.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
That's awesome, Sage! Teaching abroad is my dream job. I hope you have a really good experience there and tell us all about it.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
That's awesome, Sage! Teaching abroad is my dream job. I hope you have a really good experience there and tell us all about it.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a video of him singing in Mandarin (broken) outside of a Beijing McDonalds, with break dancing police officers armed with OZB-95s.

:buttrock:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wait, you have to pay for your own airfare over and are only getting slightly less that $630.00 a month for the first 3 months?

Also expect all that shit they promised you to be in your apartment to either not actually be there or if it is to not work. Also expect your employer to not stick to their word on around 75% of the other shit they promise you.

Not trying to shit on your "adventure" but as someone who's been to china as well as had my mother teach over their I can tell you it any little thing that you would expect to be a given will be a huge pain in the ass ordeal.

Also what age group will you be teaching and what sort of teaching material will they be providing you with? What kind of english speakers are going to be around to help you out both at work and to help orientate you to the area and living conditions?

And yes the pollution is as bad as people make it out to be. Those people you see walking around with medical masks on aren't doing it for fashion.

This is all shit that you need to be clear on before you fly over.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wait, you have to pay for your own airfare over and are only getting slightly less that $630.00 a month for the first 3 months?

Also expect all that shit they promised you to be in your apartment to either not actually be there or if it is to not work. Also expect your employer to not stick to their word on around 75% of the other shit they promise you.

Not trying to shit on your "adventure" but as someone who's been to china as well as had my mother teach over their I can tell you it any little thing that you would expect to be a given will be a huge pain in the ass ordeal.

Also what age group will you be teaching and what sort of teaching material will they be providing you with? What kind of english speakers are going to be around to help you out both at work and to help orientate you to the area and living conditions?

And yes the pollution is as bad as people make it out to be. Those people you see walking around with medical masks on aren't doing it for fashion.

This is all shit that you need to be clear on before you fly over.

You're not shitting on anything, it's good to be inquisitive. I get reimbursed for airfare when the internship's done. As for all the shit in my apartment, yeah I don't care about that. I'll be bringing a tiny TV and blu-ray player and of course my own laptop.

$630 a month is fine by me, especially when it seems living expenses are so cheap - I imagine I'll live comfortable. I'm not doing it for the money and I'm not materialistic anyway. Age group is anywhere between 4-15.

There's really not much more to it than trust that this is a legitimate school. If it isn't and really is a scam and I'll be working in the Chinese salt mines, well, okay. I really am bored with life and a journey to a foreign country where English-speakers are such a tiny percentage of the population is enticing. It's time for me to leave my comfort zone and do something.

I do have a few grand in my bank account so I reckon that would be a safety net in renminbi. I also need to talk to Wells-Fargo to see how I'll be able to close my account with them and transfer all money to a new Chinese bank account.

Last edited:

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
I've got family teaching in Korea and I know a few people who've taught in China; They've all had great experiences.

I doubt you'll be working 25 hour weeks, but if you are you should look into supplimentary teaching jobs at other private schools. Could be a great way to make a little extra cash on the side and stay busy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I'll be bringing a tiny TV and blu-ray player and of course my own laptop.

Age group is anywhere between 4-15.

I do have a few grand in my bank account so I reckon that would be a safety net in renminbi. I also need to talk to Wells-Fargo to see how I'll be able to close my account with them and transfer all money to a new Chinese bank account.

Don't bother bringing a BD player everything over there is all bootleg DVD and VCD. Just set your laptop to be region free.

They didn't outline any sort of lesson plan or provide you with material to provide you a basis of what you're going to be doing?

Also do not transfer american money to a Chinese bank account. What you need to do is get an international credit card and use that. Have the school setup a bank account for you and have them direct deposit your pay. Then when it's time to leave withdraw all your money in cash then have someone trustworthy over there write you a check in USD bring it back here and cash it.

Also make sure you get all your shots before you go. You don't want to get something horrible in your first week and end up in a Chinese hospital.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Don't bother bringing a BD player everything over there is all bootleg DVD and VCD. Just set your laptop to be region free.

They didn't outline any sort of lesson plan or provide you with material to provide you a basis of what you're going to be doing?

Also do not transfer american money to a Chinese bank account. What you need to do is get an international credit card and use that. Have the school setup a bank account for you and have them direct deposit your pay. Then when it's time to leave withdraw all your money in cash then have someone trustworthy over there write you a check in USD bring it back here and cash it.

Also make sure you get all your shots before you go. You don't want to get something horrible in your first week and end up in a Chinese hospital.

This sums up what I was going to type.

Also, if and when you go for a local Chinese account, brace yourself for fees when withdrawing your funds if you leave Beijing and go to another province. I was told by the locals that this is normal. Probably not too exorbitant, but something to think about.

Also, air quality. Or lack thereof. That's all for now.

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
If you get lonely between Feb and June and would like to hang out with a fellow "waiguoren", let me know. I'll be in Fuxin, which is about 250 miles north-east of Tangshan.

Last edited:

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm chinese and I hate Hebei..was there for 2 months on a work assignment before moving on for 3 months in WuErMuQi. Beautiful scenery but the place is dirty to hell and they love to rip off foreigner..

But then, Most Angmoh (Red Devil, white man) are treated like God there so you polly have it REALLY good (esp with the ladies).

Please please...get your Vaccination..100% must...please eat at decent food outlets. And ALWAYS bargain..

Good luck!

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Well let me know if you ever come down to Hong Kong. Really.

Good Luck and make a safe trip.

China is awesome.

doggydodomi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
4000RMB is peanut even for a intern.

Chinese is all about face..having an angmoh teaching in one school is very prestigious to the chinese but they are paying peanut.

Try Singapore..the many pop up schools catering to the large influx of China National are paying very good $.

Yes..bed the chinese girls but $$$ remain in your pocket at all time. Too many sob stories of Angmoh getting cheated in Asia.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks for the advice guys. I hadn't thought of Singapore.

aria

Former Moderator
I've been reading this thread on the fly for the past few days and wanted reply again:

Lonesage, keep in mind I wrote my views, as you noted, in 2005. Six and half years ago in China-time is a long time because they've been booming and building like mad --especially in a place like Beijing that was building up for the 2008 Olympics and was no doubt better than when I visited as they were finally getting work off the ground. A place like Tangshan is probably less developed and more like 2005 Beijing, but has no doubt modernized and will have interesting opportunities for you.

Are you being paid a lot? No. But the cost of living in a provincial town (its US sister city is Cedar Rapids, Iowa, though it's still a huge place of over 3m) is going to be lower than Shanghai or Hong Kong, and you can get amazing food for cheap in China if you're willing to try new thing.

As people have mentioned, doing private tutoring is a popular way of getting more income. I know the tutors in Japan do that a lot.

About food and water: this is the most important health things for you to keep in mind:
(1) Do not, do NOT drink the regular tap water. You will get sick. Bottled water and bottled items are your best bet. This means NO ICE. Also be careful at places that serve fresh produce washed in the water, so stay away from green salads at most places. When I travel to places like that I brush my teeth with bottled water (you'd be surprised how little you really need). You can always rinse your toothbrush after with tap water and then quickly rinse with bottled water. Be careful about swallowing water in the shower. You won't die from any of this, but you will run a big chance of getting painfully sick to your stomach! Don't panic, these rules are actually very easy to follow!
(2) Food. Most Chinese food is pretty well cooked and cheap, which is in your favor. When I was stumbling around Beijing in 2005 I actually found my way into a locals' grocery store (no foreigners, instead people would giggle and say the name foreigner when we walked around), the place was cheap and had plenty of good options. If there's an Asian grocer near you, you can always visit and try and find Chinese items to try now before you go.
(3) With cheap street food the rules-to-live-by are pretty simple: Look for places that people are voting for with their feet--Does the place seem popular? That's a good thing. If people seem to avoid it, that might be a sign that they know something you should know (I learned this one from Andrew Zimmern and it's never steered me wrong). If a place gives you a bad feeling, don't eat there. Again, be sure to watch their hygiene levels to prevent contracting water- or food-borne illnesses.
(4) If you use Tylenol or NyQuil, you can always bring a few large container of pills with you for your trip (don't bring a bunch of small bottles or you might have questions at customs if they search your bag and thing your smuggling narcotics in them).​

Don't let your self get paranoid, but always be on the lookout for getting scammed. You will have people try to charge you more than Chinese, even if that happens, often you will think "well, that was still a lot cheaper than in the States". You are going to stick out, so if a person is already a scammer, you're going to be an easy mark. Just don't follow people who invite you to places unless you know them, they'll often take you someplace where you can be cheated with little recourse. Often they invite you to see things as innocuous as their "art" (its mass-produced), a really good restaurant (where they will charge you 10x what any other place would for the same or worse food--think about that, a good restaurant won't hide), or a dozen other plays to get you somewhere you shouldn't be. A simple "no thanks", "no" or "boo-yao" will keep you safe. No one is going to abduct you.

Unless you're at a grocery store, department store, American-style store, etc --bargaining is the rule! They will quote you prices a lot higher than what they'd even quote Chinese people, so be prepared to haggle like a pro--or learn how to on the fly :D

Those are the thoughts off the top of my head, if I can think of more I'll let you know.

When do you leave?

Hope you don't get stuck in one of these ;) LOL!

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I've been reading this thread on the fly for the past few days and wanted reply again:

Lonesage, keep in mind I wrote my views, as you noted, in 2005. Six and half years ago in China-time is a long time because they've been booming and building like mad --especially in a place like Beijing that was building up for the 2008 Olympics and was no doubt better than when I visited as they were finally getting work off the ground. A place like Tangshan is probably less developed and more like 2005 Beijing, but has no doubt modernized and will have interesting opportunities for you.

Are you being paid a lot? No. But the cost of living in a provincial town (its US sister city is Cedar Rapids, Iowa, though it's still a huge place of over 3m) is going to be lower than Shanghai or Hong Kong, and you can get amazing food for cheap in China if you're willing to try new thing.

As people have mentioned, doing private tutoring is a popular way of getting more income. I know the tutors in Japan do that a lot.

About food and water: this is the most important health things for you to keep in mind:
(1) Do not, do NOT drink the regular tap water. You will get sick. Bottled water and bottled items are your best bet. This means NO ICE. Also be careful at places that serve fresh produce washed in the water, so stay away from green salads at most places. When I travel to places like that I brush my teeth with bottled water (you'd be surprised how little you really need). You can always rinse your toothbrush after with tap water and then quickly rinse with bottled water. Be careful about swallowing water in the shower. You won't die from any of this, but you will run a big chance of getting painfully sick to your stomach! Don't panic, these rules are actually very easy to follow!
(2) Food. Most Chinese food is pretty well cooked and cheap, which is in your favor. When I was stumbling around Beijing in 2005 I actually found my way into a locals' grocery store (no foreigners, instead people would giggle and say the name foreigner when we walked around), the place was cheap and had plenty of good options. If there's an Asian grocer near you, you can always visit and try and find Chinese items to try now before you go.
(3) With cheap street food the rules-to-live-by are pretty simple: Look for places that people are voting for with their feet--Does the place seem popular? That's a good thing. If people seem to avoid it, that might be a sign that they know something you should know (I learned this one from Andrew Zimmern and it's never steered me wrong). If a place gives you a bad feeling, don't eat there. Again, be sure to watch their hygiene levels to prevent contracting water- or food-borne illnesses.
(4) If you use Tylenol or NyQuil, you can always bring a few large container of pills with you for your trip (don't bring a bunch of small bottles or you might have questions at customs if they search your bag and thing your smuggling narcotics in them).​

Don't let your self get paranoid, but always be on the lookout for getting scammed. You will have people try to charge you more than Chinese, even if that happens, often you will think "well, that was still a lot cheaper than in the States". You are going to stick out, so if a person is already a scammer, you're going to be an easy mark. Just don't follow people who invite you to places unless you know them, they'll often take you someplace where you can be cheated with little recourse. Often they invite you to see things as innocuous as their "art" (its mass-produced), a really good restaurant (where they will charge you 10x what any other place would for the same or worse food--think about that, a good restaurant won't hide), or a dozen other plays to get you somewhere you shouldn't be. A simple "no thanks", "no" or "boo-yao" will keep you safe. No one is going to abduct you.

Unless you're at a grocery store, department store, American-style store, etc --bargaining is the rule! They will quote you prices a lot higher than what they'd even quote Chinese people, so be prepared to haggle like a pro--or learn how to on the fly :D

Those are the thoughts off the top of my head, if I can think of more I'll let you know.

When do you leave?

Hope you don't get stuck in one of these ;) LOL!

Someone told me something similar in regards to S. Korea but you seriously elaborated what was told to me. I'm keeping this in mind!

Borgeois

n00b
Great advice from some people here! I haven't been to China just yet. Everyone I know that's gone there has said that it's an absolute blast though! Have fun! :D

Oh, and one piece of advice I can give you, given if you haven't actually lived in a large city, or traveled to too many yet, is about walking in huge crowds. Always look dead ahead of you, don't look at people in the eye when you're walking because you will be constantly bumping into folks, or having the whole should-i-go-left-or-right show down. Just look straight ahead to your destination. People will understand that you're on a mission to get where you're going and will move out of your way. It works wonders!

Good luck!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Lesson plan?? What on earth for?? Teaching English abroad is a monkey's job. Just land and teach whatever book they put in your hands. It's not rocket science.