keep your sad ass news to yourself

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
So I was watching twitch today, and the streamer looked at chat and said “whatever dude, I get its 2019 and that its popular and accepted that you tell me very personal and very sad shit going on in your life but for the sake of everyone else shut the fuck up, we dont want to hear it.”

So Im not talking trash on people that post very sad personal shit on this forum, Im pretty sure Ive probably done it here once or twice over the years. I just never thought of that act in the way that the streamer was talking about.

Has bringing up personal tragedy become accepted and popular? Should you be thinking of others and their day more before you bring up yours?
Keep your sad ass threads to yourself, just sayin'.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I think this could be a better discussion at a different time. Someone just lost the love of his life and needs support.

Make a parody thread about it, I dare ya.

I say we should all just internalise all our shit until we explode and neck ourselves while we wait for NGDEV to ship Slope slasher part 3.

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
As creatures, we humans seem to lack the ability to balance things. There was a time where people held everything inside, often at a great personal cost. Now, we've tipped the scale in the completely opposite direction.

Agreed, there should be a balance. Shared some sad ass stuff over here as well. I don't mind people sharing their sad stories. The bad part is that sometimes it gives them some sort of entitlement. We shouldn't get cought up in that, stay humble and let go of those big ego's. If it's just about venting i'm all ears.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I've always thought, in general, it weird to spew one's personal problems to virtual strangers.

It has a certain safety net to it. Some people do not want to share certain things with people in the real world, sometimes people on the other side of a screen are safer.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This was the riskiest parody thread I ever made, and it did not work out well for me, and in hindsight was too tryhard. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?225715-What-do-you-think-TonK-charity-fund-edition

They can't all be winners.

hqdefault.jpg

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
There's nothing wrong with sharing personal matters during difficult times... when someone asks or it's among people you feel comfortable around. People announcing how miserable they are on social media in front of random ass strangers are largely sad attention whores/teenagers and our current culture encourages it.

Exception to every rule of course... but it's true far more often than not.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Is there a link to sage's parody of this thread?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
People who gets bothered by people sharing something difficult in their life are probably shitty people in real life.

Or they could be just over sensitive, maybe even depressive and just try to shield themselves. Anyway, it's ok to share, but one has to know the limitations of sharing: it can help, but it can't replace the time you'll need to accept what happened, it can't replace what's lost. It's a temporal patch, mostly single-use.

Personally, I think it depends how one shared those experiences. You can be modest about it, leave a door open for hope, even humor or you can just pretentiously wallow yourself in self-pity, parodying feelings. I sympathy with both, losses can be devastating, but the difference in character won't escape my notice.