keep your sad ass news to yourself

So I was watching twitch today, and the streamer looked at chat and said “whatever dude, I get its 2019 and that its popular and accepted that you tell me very personal and very sad shit going on in your life but for the sake of everyone else shut the fuck up, we dont want to hear it.”

So Im not talking trash on people that post very sad personal shit on this forum, Im pretty sure Ive probably done it here once or twice over the years. I just never thought of that act in the way that the streamer was talking about.

Has bringing up personal tragedy become accepted and popular? Should you be thinking of others and their day more before you bring up yours?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I went to grab a tomato sauce (ketchup) bottle once, y'know the really big ones fat people buy? and I shook it to make it all come out easier....but someone left the cap half on... (tears) and .. and.. IT WENT ALL OVER THE KITCHEN! :crying:

Fuck your tragedy! mine's more important!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Depends on the context, how personal it is and how long / well you know the people you share it with.

Depends on the context, how personal it is and how long / well you know the people you share it with.

I specifically mean publicly shared tragedy.

Is there a chance that sharing that personal tragedy when it wasnt asked for is going to distract and depress, possibly shit on some random persons day? We all go through serious shit, talk about it with your loved ones or a therapist but its rude to shit on random folks days. I think that was the point this streamer was trying to get across.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve noticed this trend too, especially with people I work with in their 20’s. A cordial wave and a “What’s up?” will get you a blow by blow account of their sad tragic lives. It really seems like these people are in a race to the bottom of who has the saddest situation.

I’ve tried to just avoid these folks but it’s hard with a factory job. One particular chick in her early 30’s drives me crazy with this shit. I realize having a couple kids, working, and going to nursing school is hard - but I’m not responsible for your poor life decisions. After I told her as much she didn’t talk to me for two weeks. Problem solved.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I’ve noticed this trend too, especially with people I work with in their 20’s. A cordial wave and a “What’s up?” will get you a blow by blow account of their sad tragic lives. It really seems like these people are in a race to the bottom of who has the saddest situation.

I’ve tried to just avoid these folks but it’s hard with a factory job. One particular chick in her early 30’s drives me crazy with this shit. I realize having a couple kids, working, and going to nursing school is hard - but I’m not responsible for your poor life decisions. After I told her as much she didn’t talk to me for two weeks. Problem solved.

Happens to me at work as well but I usually just interject and say “excuse me, I have to run to a meeting/call” and then I pop off into the bathroom and jerk off for an hour or so.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

I specifically mean publicly shared tragedy.

Is there a chance that sharing that personal tragedy when it wasnt asked for is going to distract and depress, possibly shit on some random persons day? We all go through serious shit, talk about it with your loved ones or a therapist but its rude to shit on random folks days. I think that was the point this streamer was trying to get across.

I'd agree with k'_127. If you feel you know people enough that they would care then sure, tell them, you don't have some duty to shield others from life. If you don't know them enough then they probably won't care anyway so no harm done.

I remember famicommander mentioning a young cousin who drowned when he was a kid. I still think about that for some reason, and feel shit about it every time I do, but why would I think negatively of him for that? If anything it helps build a a character beyond the run of the mill stuff we all post on here.

I prefer someone who posts something about themselves, good or bad, far more than someone who just sneers then stays anonymous. Remember kiatsushi? He was proud about how little anyone knew about him on here. Why spend your time typing out 20k posts or whatever to people who don't have the faintest idea who you are?

People fishing for sympathy is a different matter though, there's definitely a lot of that that goes around, but that's always been there, it just used to be at the bar in the middle of the day and now it's gone digital.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
It's part of being human. People want empathy/sympathy, on some level we all do. Sharing your personal problems with complete strangers is kind of a shot in the dark, but, sometimes you find someone who's currently going through the same shit, or went through it, and can really help you out. Sadly, some people really do have no one that they can talk to about those things with in their real lives and need online support. If some people are offended by that type of thing, just don't read it or avoid the person in question.

At one of my jobs, one coworker recently had a hysterectomy, another has cancer and is gone to Mayo for treatment, and a third's husband is dying of cancer and he likely only has days left to live. I can't just pretend that shit isn't happening when they want to talk about it in the break room.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
People who gets bothered by people sharing something difficult in their life are probably shitty people in real life. This is also really bad form after that one dude just lost the love of his life. I know you say not this forum but really that's pretty much the same scenario from the twitch stream.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
hyphen.jpg

Sad ass-news

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So I was watching twitch today, and the streamer looked at chat and said “whatever dude, I get its 2019 and that its popular and accepted that you tell me very personal and very sad shit going on in your life but for the sake of everyone else shut the fuck up, we dont want to hear it.”

So Im not talking trash on people that post very sad personal shit on this forum, Im pretty sure Ive probably done it here once or twice over the years. I just never thought of that act in the way that the streamer was talking about.

Has bringing up personal tragedy become accepted and popular? Should you be thinking of others and their day more before you bring up yours?

Maybe if you weren't such a miserable cunt other people's problems wouldn't bother you as much. Just a thought.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Maybe if you weren't such a miserable cunt other people's problems wouldn't bother you as much. Just a thought.

I think there’s a difference posting here, where people have invested time in each other and accepted that we’re going to have to live in the same jungle, and

Some guy(rl) hopping on a twitch channel and hijacking it, which is super popular these days with kids, who will cross post to their /r/trans reddit friends to brigade the channel.

People who gets bothered by people sharing something difficult in their life are probably shitty people in real life. This is also really bad form after that one dude just lost the love of his life. I know you say not this forum but really that's pretty much the same scenario from the twitch stream.

I know, and I read that thread and sympathize. As mentioned, Im pretty sure I have posted some of my own personal stuff on here over the last ten years. It had just never occurred to me that it may impact other people negatively, and I knew it would immediately look like I was judging when I posted this. I just heard a guy say a thing today and thought it would make for some better conversation than the recent roker or sage threads. Judge me if you want but there is actually no good time to make this thread, someone is always going to have something tragic happening.

What does being a miserable cunt have to do with it? If other peoples problems dont bother you than doesnt that make you the miserable cunt? The thread is asking if its become more accepted to make news of your tragedy publicly these days, or should you consider others before you tell your story. Maybe its more polite to stay quiet? Try adding something thoughtful or telling us a story from either side of the coin, instead of being a dumb bitch.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think this could be a better discussion at a different time. Someone just lost the love of his life and needs support.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think this could be a better discussion at a different time. Someone just lost the love of his life and needs support.

Truth be told my first thought based on the thread title was pretty much this.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sometimes people just don't know who else to talk to...

There's so many reasons why people do this that you have to take it on an individual basis.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Scoring victim points is the modern social currency.

As creatures, we humans seem to lack the ability to balance things. There was a time where people held everything inside, often at a great personal cost. Now, we've tipped the scale in the completely opposite direction.

StevenK

10 Year Member
As creatures, we humans seem to lack the ability to balance things. There was a time where people held everything inside, often at a great personal cost. Now, we've tipped the scale in the completely opposite direction.

Let me guess, everyone here who agrees with that isn't guilty of it themselves.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Let me guess, everyone here who agrees with that isn't guilty of it themselves.

No, not at all.

I'm known around here as a resident cunt...I bitch about all kinds of vapid stuff, I'll admit it.

The only difference between myself and some others is that I don't feel I deserve anything because of it. Some feel their woe's are not only other's problems, but that they deserve something because of their pain/misfortune...which they don't. I think this is the big swing, we went from people bottling everything up, to people feeling encouraged to share their pain, to people feeling the world owes them something because of it.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
There's so many reasons why people do this that you have to take it on an individual basis.

I agree with this completely. I don’t need to hear about how hard my millennial coworker’s life is when I barely know them, and their life isn’t actually hard at all.

But dealing with death, disease, and other life changing BS is some serious shit. Having dealt with these things before, I’m certainly not going to crap on someone trying to cope. Forum members posting about personal stuff is a good outlet for greif. But maybe a streamer’s chat room isn’t the best place to talk these things out. ;)

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
this is probably the last place where I would disclose personal matters, right after 4chan.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
this is probably the last place where I would disclose personal matters

I've always thought, in general, it weird to spew one's personal problems to virtual strangers.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I've always thought, in general, it weird to spew one's personal problems to virtual strangers.

Isn't that the kind of interaction that moves someone out of the stranger category?