KOF 98 is so damn good

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Man, I've been playing 98 the past week or so religiously (after not playing the game for a year almost), and I'm actually shocked at myself at how I'm NOT getting bored at the game. What the FUCK! Jesus, this game is the peak of 2D fighting games.

I've recently discovered my love for Brian, he's one hell of a character. He feels so complete in his moveset, he has everything really. I never gave him much thought since his character design is retarded and he seemed like a goofy fuck, but he's actually real damn good. I'd even use him in a high level tourney. I gotta admit his qcb A/C chains are overpowered tho, they do too much damage.

It just amazes me how after 9 (close to 10) years, I'm still discovering new tactics and having fun with new characters, and I've been playing the game competitively since it came out.

I think I can say 98 is my fav game of all time without a second of hesitation. I love you SNK.

P.S. At the moment, I think Lucky is the weakest of the sports team (used to think it was Brian just a week ago) Heavy D is still the strongest tho. :mr_t:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
KOF98 is probably the best KOF, ever.

Arthas said:
P.S. At the moment, I think Lucky is the weakest of the sports team (used to think it was Brian just a week ago) Heavy D is still the strongest tho. :mr_t:

Lucky isn't the weakest, his sC has amazing reach, and he is all about distance and mind games.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Mushiki said:
KOF98 is probably the best KOF, ever.

Lucky isn't the weakest, his sC has amazing reach, and he is all about distance and mind games.
Well, all 3 can be incredible if played right, but I still stand by Brian being a notch above Lucky.

His crossover combo with his air qcf A/C (should be 3-4 hits), standing C (2 hits), qcb A/C, hcf A/C, ddd D, du C does more than half a bar's worth of damage. It's really incredible how much damage Brian does (which is why I said I feel that particular combo is overpowered)

Not to mention his down B poke is incredible, and he has some wicked recovery time for some of his special moves. He's an agressive machine to the max. You could cheese it out by just spamming his qcf-uf C to just keep flying all over the place too. Man, Brian is a beast.

I am trying to improve my Lucky tho :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i would have to say the only KOF games that i actually like/play are 96, 98, and 2003. all the rest i don't care for at all.

96 - Geese/Krauser/Mr Big team

98 - i thought it was pretty well balanced and not too overboard on characters

2003 - i liked the switch system, also not too overboard on characters & some pretty decent characters to - not to mention if you're an AOF fan i think that this had the best versions of both 'King' and 'Robert' out of the whole KOF series

question though on 2K3... Ash & Dudlon.. those are dudes right? :spock:

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
WakuWakuWeirdo said:
i would have to say the only KOF games that i actually like/play are 96, 98, and 2003. all the rest i don't care for at all.

96 - Geese/Krauser/Mr Big team

98 - i thought it was pretty well balanced and not too overboard on characters

2003 - i liked the switch system, also not too overboard on characters & some pretty decent characters to - not to mention if you're an AOF fan i think that this had the best versions of both 'King' and 'Robert' out of the whole KOF series

question though on 2K3... Ash & Dudlon.. those are dudes right? :spock:

theres somebody who actually plays 96? damn i bought and sold that game for my cd in 3 days back in 96. might be fun with all those infinites in 1p mode, but since we usually played 2p 95% of the time, the game sucked and got returned. still don't like playing it, even though geese is one of my all time favorite characters along with yamazaki and terry.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
E=MC2 said:
theres somebody who actually plays 96? damn i bought and sold that game for my cd in 3 days back in 96. might be fun with all those infinites in 1p mode, but since we usually played 2p 95% of the time, the game sucked and got returned. still don't like playing it, even though geese is one of my all time favorite characters along with yamazaki and terry.
'96 has such a terrific presentation with shit gameplay. Such a shame, it was the first KoF that I played competitively in the cades tho, so it'll always hold a sweet spot for me.

Ultimate '98 is going to have the 96 characters + Eiji supposedly. If SNKP manages to implement them well, I don't think I'll ever need a new fighting game ever again. K' is such an incredible character tho, wish he'd have been made in the pre 99 games.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
WakuWakuWeirdo said:
'2003 - i liked the switch system, also not too overboard on characters & some pretty decent characters to - not to mention if you're an AOF fan i think that this had the best versions of both 'King' and 'Robert' out of the whole KOF series

Hated King back when she was a cheap tick damage bitch, but she was better than the gay projectile whore she's become since KOF 03. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that she's a boring character now that she has high/low projectiles.

This series didn't need another lame Sagat type character. :oh_no:

Robert, I could go either way though personally, he was a monster in KOF 01.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I like the rank I have now because it's absolutely true.
Sports Team is a beast and Lucky is insane. I also love their redone sprites, they look great.

and oh yea
98 > 3S

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I am a big fan on 98' the battle system was balanced & fighting system was tight witch made for some exciting matches.

I have Garou, & The Last Blade, witch i love, however 98' is still the fan favorite.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
'98 is pretty much the pinnacle for me with KOF. I didn't care that much for anything beyond it (aside from XI). The cast is great and it plays like a dream.

As Arthas said, if they can implement the characters they are adding into '98 Ultimate Match well enough, it would only make it that much sweeter.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
98 is still my favorite KOF. XI is a close second, but nothing tops the rock solid cast and roster of 98. The intro is just soo cool.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Been seriously practicing with EX mode the past 2 days, it's pretty damn fun.

Totally different playstyle than from Advanced. Hardest part is knowing when to properly cancel an AB dodge into a combo to take full advantage of it.

The first fight in this vid was what inspired me to fool around with EX mode

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T1i-uhmBV-Y

My EX team consists of Brian, '95 Kyo, and Lucky tho :smirk:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
There was a time when i had fave kof titles. they were 96 , 98 and 02. But now,when i come to think of it, they are all good. I love 94 and 95, the japan stage on 94 and the team fatal fury stage and it's music of 95 .iory's stage and the aof stage of 95 is also great. 94 and 95 to me is a kof version of ff 2-sp and aof . I think if you like the early ffs and the aofs, you will like 94 and 95.
96 is probably the best kof as a package after 98. the characters the stages the sound track . All great ,the fatal fury and art of fighting stage and the iory stage i also love.The boss team is what makes 96 so special, Geese and Krawser in a kof!? WOW!. But unfortunately some of the characters lack moves and are hard to controle. but still one of my fave kof till this day.
97 is just a crap version of 98 which is still good and is known as a kof with one of the best gameplay.
98 is probably the best kof of all time .the characters ,with the right moves, the stages, the soundtrack. the game play. and it has my fave kof opening. It's just perfection.
99 has some memorable stages such as the rain in the park , the air port , even the sewer stage is great. The characters have some changes in there moves such as Robert which I think for the better. Terry’s moves are also slightly altered .Some people find the new moves better to pull off a combo with, I agree when it comes to Robert . 99 also has a good selection of Kyos .The new Kyo from 99, 00 . 01 and 02, kyo 1 which is Kyo from 95 and Kyo 2 who is Kyo from 96, 97 and 98.And kof 99 is the first aperance of the fan fave K.
2000 has amasing graphics. The stages of the game are boring ,but the graphics really make up for it. One of the best things about 2000 is the ex characters you could pick from such as mr karate with his mask on, and characters from other neo geo games.
2001, for most this is the worst kof ever. It has very bad graphics , bad stages and bad end boss. But what I like about 01 is the that all the characters are here and they all have great moves. And the way you could pick 3 characters as ex characters and be able to call them all at once is pretty cool.
2002 in my opinion would of rivalled 98 if it had king my fave female character of all time. Why leave out king why!. Besides the lack of king, 02 has great game play,great graphics and great stages And I love the way Rock appears when you beat some one with Terry.And Rugal is the final boss which is so original.
2003 is very enjoyable . I love kyo ,whos moves are lot like Kyo of 98 and has a great new appearance . Terry , same appearance as motw and has that great new power stream move.And 03 has the best K I have ever played with. The possibility to switch characters in mid gameplay is also in 03. And 03 has one of my fave stages ever, the one on the roof of the neo geo building .
So really I can play any kof title and enjoy it. Do I realy have a fave ?. not realy I like them all. I wouldn’t be able to pick from 94,95,96,98,02 and 03.
Thank you for reading this.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
98 and 00 are the only two games i could play 2p nonstop.
they're my favorite competitive kofs.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
98 is FUCKING amazing. I want a dedicated kof 98 machine some day... what a great game. Almost 10 years old now. They just don't make them like this anymore. Sad.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Yeah, watching the '98 intro gets me very hyped indeed.
Anyone who doubts this as the cream of the KoF crop needs to have their head examined, especially anything AFTER '98.

KoF XI is a fun title that deserves to be played, but it's like comparing Niggaz4Life with Straight Outta Compton.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Loopz said:
Anyone who doubts this as the cream of the KoF crop needs to have their head examined, especially anything AFTER '98

Despite it's totally shitty presentation (insert extra shitty comment here), I prefer 2k2 from a game play standpoint to 98 as I feel it pretty much ripped out 98's soul and added some features and characters I like. It feels like the same game with slightly better roster and game play but ten times shittier backgrounds and music.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I remember when the DC first came out late '99, me and like 2 friends in college played the living shit out of the DC version.

I've pretty much stopped playing fighting games, but I still love KoF '98.

I'm too used to the DC port though; I don't think I could play the Neo version. LoL

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
You know what I love about this game, is everyone's got SOMETHING that seems an unfair advantage. But, not everyone can be unfairly badass. This guy has auto guard, that guy has too many projectiles, this guy's too strong, that guy's throws are too good.... not everyone can be too good. All the characters have awesome cards up their sleeves. Name me a character, and I can tell you whey they're so badass in this game.

Lucky is "weak", but he's got just too damn many ball throwing moves. From above, from differnt angles... Also, his standard moves have absurd range. Think auto guard is cheap? I've auto guarder Kyo's auto guard uppercut with Takuma's QCB P and won. It was almost as if the game went in slow motion to decide who's auto guard was going to outlast the other. Awesome game. Easily one of the best fighters ever made.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
ST and '98...

both the fifth iteration of their respective games...

Fucking head and shoulders above the rest.

SFIII should have gotten another couple of tweaks and it might have reached perfection. Don't confuse gameplay with art.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I kicked ass with the '95 team over the weekend. Kof '98 is the best ever.

EDIT: Lucky kicks ass, seriously.

Last edited:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Spike Spiegel said:
You know what I love about this game, is everyone's got SOMETHING that seems an unfair advantage. But, not everyone can be unfairly badass. This guy has auto guard, that guy has too many projectiles, this guy's too strong, that guy's throws are too good.... not everyone can be too good. All the characters have awesome cards up their sleeves. Name me a character, and I can tell you whey they're so badass in this game.

Lucky is "weak", but he's got just too damn many ball throwing moves. From above, from differnt angles... Also, his standard moves have absurd range. Think auto guard is cheap? I've auto guarder Kyo's auto guard uppercut with Takuma's QCB P and won. It was almost as if the game went in slow motion to decide who's auto guard was going to outlast the other. Awesome game. Easily one of the best fighters ever made.

why don't you go to CAD on fridays to play KOF, it's not that long of a drive from rockford

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
why don't you go to CAD on fridays to play KOF, it's not that long of a drive from rockford

The question is, why don't you guys come here... where it's FREE? I've got enough fighters to satisfy about 6 or so people at one time. CvsSNK2, Super Turbo, MOTW, KOF98....