Kung Fu movies

I really need a change up to my DVD collection to kickstart my movie watching habits again. I miss watching movies, I really do, and I haven't watched a whole lot lately because I'm kinda bored honestly. So, I've decided on a genre I've never really got deep into, other than having all of Bruce Lee's flicks, of which I've recently upgraded mine to the Ultimate Bruce Lee collection which are really great now.

So, I've started off by buying 4 DVDs from Amazon:

-The Hand of Death
-Wing Chun (Michelle Yeoh)
-Challenge of the Masters
-The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

How did I do? Any recommendations welcome. How good is Sammo Hung? I was eyeballing some of his stuff like Iron-Fisted Monk, but never seen a movie with him. Advice needed.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
www.hkflix.com for starters...they have sick clearance/sales, ship from the US super fast and give you 1% back in store credit. You can get like 5 DVDs for $20 and sample away. :)

I'm a big on Thai MMA movies so you could check out any of the Jaa flicks or (my personal favorite) Born to Fight. All of Jackie Chan's stuff pre-1997ish is great. For Jet Li you have a ton of options: the Once Upon A Time trilogy, Fong Sai-Yuk 1+2, My Father Is A Hero, Fist of Legend, Bodyguard from Beijing, etc etc etc. I'm not too familiar with Sammo's stuff but I recently picked up Millonares' Express based on positive feedback. There's a ton of great Donnie Yen stuff and since he's the only HK martial arts star making anything these days there's a ton of more recent, highly lauded flicks including Ip Man, Flashpoint, Sha Po Lang/Killzone, Legend of the Wolf, and the Fist of Fury TV show (hard to find but I have sources if you want it). Also, pretty much every Shaw Bros period epic is totally worth your time. Since you already have 36th chamber you should check out 8 Diagram/Invincible Pole Fighter and the Chamber sequels.

I'm a big fan of the domestic Dragon Dynasty DVD line but you have to be REALLY careful...some discs have a double disc "special edition" and a single disc without any special features. Plus, a lot of recent DVDs (mostly Jet Li stuff) have been cut and fucked with. All of their Shaw stuff and recent stuff is great though.

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
Shaw Brothers is a great place to start:

Chinese super ninjas
Kid with the golden arms
Crippled Masters
5 Deadly venoms
Ironhands

others that are worth checking out:
Shogun's Assassain
Legend of Ricky OH
Shaolin vs Wutang

All 8 of these are classics and a value to any movie collection...but thats just my opinion

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Ricky Oh is a great one...lot's of gore and kickass fighting. The classic "head smash" GIF was taken from that movie, aka this one

animated-head-smash.gif

If you want to upgrade your Bruce Lee discs even more you buy the Zoke versions from China...great PQ and they have the original audio. You can find them floating around eBay or they have them at hkflix.

I was impressed with a recentish HK actioner called Invisible Target...Wu Jing makes a great villain and it has Jackie Chan's son in it (who does a great job BTW) along with a bunch of other great HK talent. The one-on-one fight over the burning ground was great.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
A few of my favorites:

Challenge of the Masters
Martial Club (Instructors of Death)
Heroes of the East

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Sammo Hung is my FAVORITE martial arts star. Yuen Biao is a close second.

Winners and Sinners is my favorite kung fu movie. (with Sammo, Jackie Chan and Yuen Biao)
Prodigal Son is amazing. (also love Yuen Biao. Sammo does some AMAZING stuff in this.)
Dreadnaught is amazing. (again - Yuen Biao)

Righting Wrongs is another favorite (also Yuen Biao - with Cynthia Rothrock. More of a crime movie, but some really crazy shit goes down. Including fighting. Bizarre and awesome ending, too.)

OH OH and

Fight Back to School - really like that series.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
+1 for master of the flying guillotine.

My favorite Kung Fu flick of all time!

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
How good is Sammo Hung? I was eyeballing some of his stuff like Iron-Fisted Monk, but never seen a movie with him. Advice needed.

'Spooky Encounters' is a good Sammo Hung flick to check out. Got some horror elements, along with great physical comedy and sweet fight choreography.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
WTF,no love for Ong Bak?
Or the other movie with the same actor(can't remember the name)I loved those 2 movies for the fighting in it.
A lot that was mentioned i didn't see yet,i will.
Let it also be said that Kanyozakura has been very contributive in this topic:D

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I source Tai Seng revs of many of the above movies at all costs. The Legendary/Dimension/NewLine et al re-releases are wack. Dragons Forever is my favorite 3 Fortunes (Sammo, Jackie, and Yuen) flick. It also features a re-match between Jackie and Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez that is legendary. (They first fought in Wheels on Meals). Hong Kong action cinema is fantastic- don't just limit yourself to kung fu. Enjoy your fall down the rabbit hole!

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Monika Seleš;3034034 said:
WTF,no love for Ong Bak?
Or the other movie with the same actor(can't remember the name)I loved those 2 movies for the fighting in it.
A lot that was mentioned i didn't see yet,i will.
Let it also be said that Kanyozakura has been very contributive in this topic:D

I personally prefer Tom Yum Goong/The Protector to the Ong Baks and also Born to Fight over TYG but they're all awesome in the end. Chocolate is fucking amazing too, especially the ending.

Also, for Ong Bak 1 just stick with the standard US R1 release...I got the VCD so I could have the "uncut" version but all they cut out was a terrible sublot about that one chick's sister doing drugs and most of the 15 minutes that they cut are just the one chick screeching. You can still find the VCD around if you really want it but I don't think it's worth the effort.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Sammo Hung is awesome, but I prefer Donnie Yen.

I know it's not straight-up Kung Fu, but seriously, watch SPL. It's insanely awesome. It has both Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen. That's like awesome squared or so.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Sammo Hung is awesome, but I prefer Donnie Yen.

I know it's not straight-up Kung Fu, but seriously, watch SPL. It's insanely awesome. It has both Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen. That's like awesome squared or so.

Say word. Beer bottle scene FTMFW.:vik:

Daedalus

If there's a Bandwagon. I'm on it!
A bunch of pics and posts related to my list of movies have been done here....I'm telling you buy up, rent, or netflix the list I posted, you can't go wrong....if you even half like kung fu and do not like a movie I posted...there is something wrong with you :shame:

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
i have been watching a lot of fight movies and got to say Chinese is the way to go for kung-fu types. most are subtitled but they are good . i like legendary assassin , ip man is a great both part 1 and 2. the first ong bak was good the 2nd not so much.Storm warriors is also up there for me.

Anything with Donnie Yen is usually good.