Letterman Retiring in 2015

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
He was good in his day, but the last couple years, he just seemed to be going through the motions. Will be interesting to see what else he does. Guys like him never really stop.

Now the interesting news will be seeing who replaces him. Would be cool to see Conan come in, mostly because of the same jilted by NBC relationship. Much as I like him, I can't see them giving that spot to Ferguson. His brand of comedy is too crazy for the 11pm set.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I had a feeling once Jay went this time, Dave would soon follow. Dudes been doing this for decades now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Why would they need anyone to replace him? There's 33 years worth of reruns of reels in the back room.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
God no. Louie style of comedy would not fit late night network television.

Why even have a pretense of what would fit a late night network television show? The guy wrote for Conan O'Brien, so he knows how a late night show works. While I would prefer Louis CK to focus on his FX show, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something different on late nights if he wanted to host a show. He's smart and funny enough to pull it off if he wanted to.

SSS

neo retired
Hardest thing for Louie would be trading in the black t-shirts. Other than that I'd think he'd do fine in a similar or a bit different format. Chances are the network would probably pass though, they're probably looking for Jimmy Fallon style vanilla. I think CK's material would probably keep him from the gig.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Never cared for him. The few times I did watch the show I wasn't that impressed. I think the late night format died the day that carson left. Having said that Carson always wanted dave to take over and not leno. It was rumored that after carson retired he would write jokes and send them to dave.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/03/david-letterman-retiring/?ncid=webmail14

There goes the only late night host that ever made me laugh. He's earned a nice retirement, but I hope he's able to adjust to life without a steady stream of hot female interns. Vaya con dios, Dave. And Paul. It's not like he had a say, I'm sure.
I like Letterman better than any of the current late show hosts (Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, etc). But he was better when he was younger, in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Never cared too much for his comedy but my god, does he go way back...

I remember discovering late night tv when I was 14 (back in 94).
Highschool just started, popular use of the internet JUST started, mainstream era grunge just started, and my family PC cost 4 grand and had 8 megs of ram with 580 megabytes of hard drive space. And it ran on a connection that was only half as fast as SNKorSWMs! 28Kb/ps!

Fucking hell does time fly.

EDIT: I even remember the first top 10 list I ever looked up when screwing around on the internet in grade 9.

Top Ten Disney Productions in Times Square - February 4, 1994
10. When you Wish Upon My Lap
9. Mr. Toad's Pantsless Ride
8 Space Mounting
7. Mickey and Minnie, Doing It Live
6. Aladdin '94: "Rub This!"
5. It's a Large World
4. Mary's Poppin'!
3. Hookers of the Caribbean
2. Beauty and the Bobbitt
1.Free Willy

Last edited:

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Watched the show alot when I was a kid. Not so much these days.

Have a great retirement, Dave!

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's a good time to go out. Like what was said earlier, I doubt Ferguson will move up. The will probably go the younger route to match with Fallon.

DrScience

n00b
It is sad knowing he's going to leave the air.

As someone who grew up watching him he sure has changed over the years. I sure do miss the old NBC shows of him doing stupid human tricks, Chris Elliott, and Larry Bud Melman.
You know, back when SNL was funny.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No such time ever existed. Maybe intermittently during the first season.
SouthtownKid, you ignorant slut.

Anyway, I can't recall ever liking Letterman. Then again, I was born in 1990. He could very well have been funny in the past, like the Simpsons from the beginning to ca. 2003 (golden years ended when Greg Daniels left for KOTH, late 90s).

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid, you ignorant slut.

Anyway, I can't recall ever liking Letterman. Then again, I was born in 1990. He could very well have been funny in the past, like the Simpsons from the beginning to ca. 2003 (golden years ended when Greg Daniels left for KOTH, late 90s).
I think that happens with a lot of TV shows, where they go downhill in the last couple of years (after losing a key writer). It isn't just because they run out of ideas. Like with Seinfeld, Larry David stopped writing for it towards the end, and some of the last season's episodes weren't very good.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I used to watch him when he first moved to CBS and loved how he'd do stuff like Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, throwing shit off the roof and the quizzes. I'd always watch him on Thanksgiving because they'd do a Thanksgiving Day quiz then check in with his mom where he'd try to guess what pies she made. Then he'd ask to open up her fridge and it'd be stocked full of Colt 45 and Slim-Jim's.

But I will agree he's been going through the motions. He hardly does any of the skits that I wish I got to see when he was doing Late Night on NBC and he just seems like a grumpy old man. It's a shame that Craig won't get the bump in time slot. I rarely watch his show but when I do I enjoy it. His monologue is just him, not half an hour of shlock like Leno did where he'd keep recycling jokes with different punchlines. I also love Geoff, the two of the together is just comedy magic..

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
No love for Pat & Kenny Read Oprah Transcripts?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
While I never actively watched Letterman I always will give him props for having some weird music and guests on his show. There is a bunch of great footage of him with Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, and I think Tom Waitts too. All those interviews are just strange as hell, but Dave had them on.

Then I can't forget he has had some very non-traditional musical acts as well such as At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, and The Flaming Lips.

I always applaud a mainstream show presenting non-mainstream material to the general public.

Rumor is that Colbert is being scouted for the position.