LIght Gun games

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
We should have a dedicated thread of light gun games.

I just found out Point Blank has new one. This is by far my favorite gun game series.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
sounds like a great idea. In the last 6 months I rediscovered the Time Crisis series after realizing Doh I have a PMV. So YES I can play these games again.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
...and let me drop one of my favorite lightgun arcade games.

Steel Gunner 2

Maybe it's 2D but I don't care. It's a fun Namco shooter from the early 90s. I tossed way too many quarters on this thing during the summer at the beach.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The point blank games are great! I always enjoyed the Jurassic Park and House of the Dead games too.

The positional gun games like steel gunner are great. I spent a lot of my parent's quarters on Operation Wolf and Zombie Raid. Pumping the shotgun to reload in Zombie Raid was the best.

The Virtua Cop games were always my favorite though. Justice shot!!! The gunshot sounds were so satisfying.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm a huge fan of lightgun games. Have most of the NES titles, all the PS2, and House of the Dead III for Xbox as well.

I'm just bummed I can't use an actual lightgun on my Windows PC GroovyMAME (15khz CRT) setup...only crappy IR lightguns seem to work with modern versions of MAME (unless I find discontinued lightguns from 5+ years ago, and use a version of MAME like 10 years old...nothing modern seems to run on real lightguns which are much more accurate than the IR versions).

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
For a random NES recommendation, try To The Earth sometime if you haven't before. By far one of my favorite light gun games for the console, and fucking hard. As somebody who's seen the Duck Hunt score roll over back to 0, I've never been able to make much progress.

Also, to Bleagh, Virtua Cop is the shit. Haven't played it in years, but have really been wanting to buy a Saturn and the associated gun to play through it again. Honestly, never thought I had too much nostalgia for the Saturn because I never had any of the really sought after titles, but watching Lazy Game Reviews on YouTube review some Saturn to PC ports made me realize I had a LOT of fun with Virtua Cop (and Daytona USA, oddly enough - I tend to hate racing games, maybe because I suck at them; I don't even have a driver's license irl).

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member

Steel Gunner 2

Maybe it's 2D but I don't care. It's a fun Namco shooter from the early 90s. I tossed way too many quarters on this thing during the summer at the beach.

I've always liked the look of those early 90's sprite based light gun games. Although the scifi/cyberpunk theme some of them had also helped. I played a ton of Space Gun and Gun Buster. Space Gun also has some amazing sound effects. It's a great alien knock off in every way.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I fucking loved the PS1 Guncon games, had the big box versions of both Time Crisis and Point Blank.

I'd love to get an arcade lightgun setup going, but it's just so much stuff to fuck around with. Really wish the Naomi gun setups were simpler, that with netboot would be the ultimate combo.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
what a coincidence im tweeking some of my saturn stunners right this minute. getting them to be more responsive.

what i intended to do was put some cherry switches in them but i couldnt find examples (the pics on the thread i was watching are all down) and really didnt feel like working it out myself.....but i will later on.

for now all i did was add a drop of hot glue to the trigger actuator or whatever its called. just enough to reduce the required pull for triggering the switch. pretty big improvement for such a minor tweak.

now i'll actually be able to really PLAY HOTD and VIRTUA COP

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I think Wii has best light gun game library:
Ghost Squad
HOTD 2&3
HOTD Overkill
Resident Evil The Darkside/The Umbrella Chronicles
Dead Space Extraction
Gunblade NY/L.A Machineguns

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think Wii has best light gun game library:
Ghost Squad
HOTD 2&3
HOTD Overkill
Resident Evil The Darkside/The Umbrella Chronicles
Dead Space Extraction
Gunblade NY/L.A Machineguns

Except the Wii "lightgun" is very unresponsive compared to a proper lightgun... :rolleyes:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Except the Wii "lightgun" is very unresponsive compared to a proper lightgun

That's still better than not being able to play games like Ghost Squad at all. Outside of an arcade, that is. I love lightgun games, but it's a dying genre. I was so happy to see Hotd4 on PlayStation 3. I even bought Overkill for the PS3, despite owning it for the Wii. I really wish we could get ports of games like:

● Let's Go Jungle
● Let's Go Island
● Golden Gun
● Operation GHOST
● Virtua Cop 3

... and many more. Sega should release a compilation, seeing as Move is still a thing on PS4, thanks to PSVR.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I like the Wii lightgun games as well. I use the Perfect Shot for the Wii controller and it does the job well.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Still trying to get a hold of Russian Roulette for NES.

West

Mr. Big's Thug
Loving this thread. I played the fuck outta Ninja Assault, Time Crisis 2, and Vampire Night back in the day. And of course HOTD was always in rotation back at the Berkeley Bearcade (RIP). Sadly I sold all my GunCon stuff years ago probably for store credit on like 1 PS3 game.

I gotta get on some of those Wii titles, particularly because they can be played on a bigass projection screen ;)

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
tell me more

Technically, not improve the wii remotes, themselves, but rather the performance of them. I can't find the specific article I read, but it involves some diy hack to improve the sensor bar's range by extending it with other materials.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member

Steel Gunner 2

You'd like Horned Owl on the PSX, it's very similar in style to this. :)

BTW, another big lightgun game fan here! Hoping Namco port Time Crisis 5 to PS4 :D

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
So what's the best console?

DC
Sat
Wii
PS2

My choice is PS2 paired with a Gun-Con2:

Time Crisis 2
Time Crisis 3
Crisis Zone
Gun Vari Collection: Gun Bulllet 1 - 3 and OG Time Crisis
Virtua Cop: Elite Edition

And a few others... Resident Evil / Gun Survivor, Vampire Night, Ninja Assault...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
For the PS2, let's say you have an RGB cable with RCA female plug added for lightgun use.

You would only need one of the T cables for using two guncons right, instead of the two you would normally require?

RGB Cable RCA female --> T Cable side with male/female --> T cable opposite end with female/female connections --> Each going to guncon male plugs?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For the PS2, let's say you have an RGB cable with RCA female plug added for lightgun use.

You would only need one of the T cables for using two guncons right, instead of the two you would normally require?

Just plug the composite from player one's lightgun into the back of your RGB cable, then piggyback player two's composite into the player one plug and you're all set.

This even works when I'm running everything through my Extron Crosspoint switch...even works when I run it through my RGB to YPbPr converter for use on consumer CRT TV's (i.e. you really can't fuck it up).