Lmao Blade Runner 2049

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I don't have a lot to add to what has already said about BR2049 outside of the fact that I saw it last night after watching the original three times this weekend in various forms.

The bluray set I have has the Final Cut, '92 Directors Cut, Theatrical Release, EP Release, and Work Print in addition to the making of. The main screen writer of both BR and BR2049, Hampton Fancher, is interviewed in the making of section about a scene he wrote that was cut from the original film but that Scott found to be awesome, I think it was the scene that won him the job. That scene was the opening scene from BR2049.

RT's rating for the original BR is 90% and its current rating for 2049 is 88%. It also is being called an box office dud after only making $30m, just like its predecessor.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, I like how news is reporting it is a bust, yet it's #1 at the box office.....

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, I like how news is reporting it is a bust, yet it's #1 at the box office.....

$36mm over a 3 day weekend opening for a movie that cost $300mm after P&A is disasterous for a small studio (Alcon) with heavy losses historically (transcendence, point break reboot).

The expectation is that the movie will start strong, and BO revenue will wane over the next few weeks. But with a $36mm start the projections have been adjusted to sub optimal.

fake

15 Year Member
I don't have a lot to add to what has already said about BR2049 outside of the fact that I saw it last night after watching the original three times this weekend in various forms.

The bluray set I have has the Final Cut, '92 Directors Cut, Theatrical Release, EP Release, and Work Print in addition to the making of. The main screen writer of both BR and BR2049, Hampton Fancher, is interviewed in the making of section about a scene he wrote that was cut from the original film but that Scott found to be awesome, I think it was the scene that won him the job. That scene was the opening scene from BR2049.

RT's rating for the original BR is 90% and its current rating for 2049 is 88%. It also is being called an box office dud after only making $30m, just like its predecessor.

The orI Gina like (wow, my phone just autocorrected "original" to that) WAS a flop. It only gained a real following and a critical change of mind when it was reedited and released on video. 2049 made under 40 million so far. It needs to more than quadruple that to break even. There have been far worse flops, but it didn't do well on its opening week. Then again, I don't think they expected it to. Sometimes movie projects are just really expensive scratch tickets.

Edit: what I mean is that if they reeeeaaaly wanted this to make its money back, they would have made more of an effort to appeal to teenagers and young adults. This movie was obviously more for the fans.

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Not a hardcore Blade Runner fan, but I liked this movie. Visually, I think the movie is really appealing; I like the look of LA, the look of the police cars, the overall dreary atmosphere. I thought the score was good. I think the actors were good; even Bautista in his small role was good. The female replicant with Leto is cold and attractive. I think some of the themes could have been fleshed out better and the end could have ben tied up better, but I liked it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Edit: what I mean is that if they reeeeaaaly wanted this to make its money back, they would have made more of an effort to appeal to teenagers and young adults. This movie was obviously more for the fans.

On the contrary, this movie seems to only appeal to the nonfans.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Don't they factor international take + DVD/Blu-Ray sales as making the money back?

fake

15 Year Member
On the contrary, this movie seems to only appeal to the nonfans.

You can make something for someone and still not have it be appreciated. Like when you give a family member macaroni art as a kid and they immediately throw it out.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I tried to watch Rogue 1. It was a really bad movie.

Fury Road was had a bad plot and bad acting. But the cinematography was AAA.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Simple point for blankets in theaters here. Its hot as hell outside and cold as shit inside. I mean its humid and high 80's so you're wearing shorts and a light shirt. But inside the theater is around 60. Its moronic how cold they keep it.

I get that, it just seems like you're setting yourself up to fall asleep. I go with pants and bring a sweatshirt.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
The first movie's pacing was not NEARLY as slow as this movie is. I was just bored to death. This movie needs an 'Audience's Cut' release.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
The first movie's pacing was not NEARLY as slow as this movie is. I was just bored to death. This movie needs an 'Audience's Cut' release.

Speaking of cuts, here's the one cut / adjustment I really wish I could make...

Spoiler:

After Deckard is capture, K wakes up, very briefly, and we see an extreme close up on his face, which looks like charred dog meat. A single tear rolls from his cheek.

CUT!

This is the most powerful moment of the movie, as the music cue makes clear. K has just had everything taken away from him. His presumable father has been captured and his girlfriend has been murdered 2 feet in front him. Not to mention he can't go back home.

If he went on a rampage right after this, it would have been amazing. But instead he wakes up and is informed of the Replicant resistance and the fact that he's not Deckard's son. The Replicant resistance is cheesy and is the worst part of the movie, IMO. It brings it too much into Matrix Reloaded territory. Of course, we need K to realize that he's not Deckard's son. But K already has every reason to go on his rampage. If he were to kill all the Wallace people, save Deckard, and then say something a son might say to his father, and then Deckard looked confused, and said something like, "Kid, I don't know who you think I am, or who you think you are... But Rachel gave birth to a girl..." And then K went from murderous to being completely crushed... That would have been even more of an emotional rollercoaster and would have avoided the worst scene in the movie.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
for those who have yet to see the movie, watch the shorts on youtube first. Specially the animated one

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object

Spoiler:

After Deckard is capture, K wakes up, very briefly, and we see an extreme close up on his face, which looks like charred dog meat. A single tear rolls from his cheek.

CUT!

This is the most powerful moment of the movie, as the music cue makes clear. K has just had everything taken away from him. His presumable father has been captured and his girlfriend has been murdered 2 feet in front him. Not to mention he can't go back home.

If he went on a rampage right after this, it would have been amazing. But instead he wakes up and is informed of the Replicant resistance and the fact that he's not Deckard's son. The Replicant resistance is cheesy and is the worst part of the movie, IMO. It brings it too much into Matrix Reloaded territory. Of course, we need K to realize that he's not Deckard's son. But K already has every reason to go on his rampage. If he were to kill all the Wallace people, save Deckard, and then say something a son might say to his father, and then Deckard looked confused, and said something like, "Kid, I don't know who you think I am, or who you think you are... But Rachel gave birth to a girl..." And then K went from murderous to being completely crushed... That would have been even more of an emotional rollercoaster and would have avoided the worst scene in the movie.

YES! Nice! That would have been much smoother and more exciting.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,

Spoiler:

CUT!

Definitely agree.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member

Spoiler:

CUT!

HA HA MATRIX RELOADED! I was thinking the exact same thing at the end of the movie. TOO MUCH BORING SHIT - not enough real MEAT.

I have to say that there are some scenes that really stuck with me after watching so I may see it again at home in 30 min. chunks.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Watched it. Felt very much like Sicario in tone, which is dystopic and science fictiony.
Hence I liked it but I feel it wants to come off as a lot deeper than it actually is. Villneuve is a visual fetichist in my opinion, much like Refn. In fact Gosling works it the way he does in Drive and Only God Forgives.
Deep in my opinion is Lynch and Cronenberg. Most others are simply enamoured with their own reflection.

I agree with Norton on Rogue One comment. I found it to be horrible

Last edited: