Low-balling asshats

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I really think it is some kind of mentality of entitlement. I feel like it is grown from an inflated ego and ignorance. From my experience, most of the people who have pulled that kind of shit with me have also magically been the kind of people I wouldn't want to have to be in the same room with.

Out of all the outlets that I've tried doing business on, I think Craigslist has been the worst, followed by Armslist, and then ebay. Anything I've listed on Craigslist I've had several people offer me next to nothing for and then try to argue why I should sell it to them for that.
Pretty much the same thing on armslist. Then ebay is a whole different can of worm. Seldom have i listed anything over the last few years that I've not had a flipper message me to just buy it outright for crazy low price. Then after I refuse they want to argue about it. I usually just block them from bidding on my stuff there at least.

I honestly think a lot of this kind of thing is rooted in some form of mental illness.

I'm with you man, I haven't sold anything on Clist in a very long time, but I'd get calls from people trying to pull all kinds of shit, the ones that bothered me were when the dude would call and act like he was running the show. "Give me your address, I'll come get it now, I've got $50 for you that's all it's worth." - Uhhh fuck you asshole.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I get low ball offers all the time which do insult me but I just compose myself and kindly respond that I am not interested in their counter offer. If they persist in their low balling I make it clear in a polite way that I am not open to negotiations with particular them anymore and its either leave it or take it.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
It's just business. Don't take it personally.
I see this everyday and do it everyday.

That guy was clearly out of line though.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm not too bothered about lowballers, as long as you've got the price in mind that you are willing to go to then you can politely tell them to go fuck themselves without too much bother.

The ones that get to me are the ones who purposely get wrong what the deal is time and time again hoping that you'll just let it slide, the ones who 'forget' about the postage or the paypal fees etc etc when they make the transfer. I never forget when I pay someone else, why do some people so conveniently forget this all the time?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Everybody thinks they're Rick or Big Hoss from Pawn Stars. But in reality, the only thing these people have in common with Pawn Stars is a problem with obesity.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You guys should see the PM that I've received on klov for some PCBs I was selling...

wait a minute, here it is:

Luddite said:
Guwange, gunbird 2, Shippuu Mahou

I am interested in all 3. I would do $40 each. So $120 shipped for all 3.
Thanks,
Mat

Best part is how he gets from $40 each to $40 shipped (internationally) each in the blink of an eye. I've printed that post and hung it on the wall the first time I read it, it still there and makes me chukle every fucking time I see it :lolz:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
You guys should see the PM that I've received on klov for some PCBs I was selling...

wait a minute, here it is:

Best part is how he gets from $40 each to $40 shipped (internationally) each in the blink of an eye. I've printed that post and hung it on the wall the first time I read it, it still there and makes me chukle every fucking time I see it :lolz:

Klov is home of the low ballers. If its not pacman/donkey kong they are out of their element and have no ideal what a game made after 1990 is worth.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I'm with you man, I haven't sold anything on Clist in a very long time, but I'd get calls from people trying to pull all kinds of shit, the ones that bothered me were when the dude would call and act like he was running the show. "Give me your address, I'll come get it now, I've got $50 for you that's all it's worth." - Uhhh fuck you asshole.

Hahah... I've had that one several times... I love the trade offers:

"I'll trade you a broken laptop and some 2600 games for your arcade machine! The 2600 games are super rare!"

Tacitus

Staff member
There's one guy who endlessly spams CL scooping any and all vintage games. He loves to lowball people and gets VERY angry when you don't take his shit offer. I'll dig out the emails.

He fights it out with a few other flippers daily... Its amusing to watch them flag each other's posts and then see them post up threats or insults when their WTB ads get yanked.

He offered me $150 for my 4 slot and then told me I didn't know shit about video games or the neo when I laughed at his offer.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I generally put a disclaimer on all of my sales threads that lowballers and timewasters will be exposed. Also, I only deal with established members of this board. If there's a person on here that has less time and less posts, I'll need to get a reference from someone established. The lowballers aren't the ones that piss me off as much as established time wasters. They get put on that list and we never do any kind of business again.

The only people I hold items for are usually those from here that I talk to on a regular basis, most of the people I've met face to face, or a chat regular.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Hahah... I've had that one several times... I love the trade offers:

"I'll trade you a broken laptop and some 2600 games for your arcade machine! The 2600 games are super rare!"

HAHAA!! I've had a couple really lopsided game item for game item trade offers, never a good lot of misc. shit, but a guy tried trading me (what I suspect were Harbor Freight) tools plus a "little bit of cash" for a dedicated MK2 cab.

I do enjoy ads where you see people trying to hock a bunch of misc. junk like that for big money - " 27" CRT, P4 Laptop, Coffee table, Little Tikes playset, 2 PS2 games - $500 FIRM. "

Tacitus

Staff member
HAHAA!! I've had a couple really lopsided game item for game item trade offers, never a good lot of misc. shit, but a guy tried trading me (what I suspect were Harbor Freight) tools plus a "little bit of cash" for a dedicated MK2 cab.

I do enjoy ads where you see people trying to hock a bunch of misc. junk like that for big money - " 27" CRT, P4 Laptop, Coffee table, Little Tikes playset, 2 PS2 games - $500 FIRM. "

Heh... absolutely. One guy wanted to trade me this list for a VERY expensive piece of electronics a while ago because I put it in the ad.

This guy throws up a bunch of red flags for online transactions on top of clearly dumpster diving. (How do you know it's working if you can't find the wires???)

original email said:
Hi my name is Luke i have recently stumbled across you're ad on CraigsList in which you stated you were interested in trading you're item for old video games i am interested i have plenty of old consoles and accessories available to trade if interested i will list all i have and condition below hope to hear back from you soon.

Sega Genesis "Generation 1 And 2"

Condition-Used-Fully Operational

Sega Saturn

Wires-Controllers-Not sure if i have hook up wires.

Condition-Used-Fully Working

Nintendo

Wires-Controller also have one of those guns and wires not sure if i have or not

Condition-Unsure if the wires were broken or console so not sure if system was blown out or not.

Super Nintendo

Wires-Not sure do have controller

Condition-Fully working operational

Gameboy Advanced Sp

Condition: Used Normal Wear

Wires:None

Nintendo 64

Wires-All wires and controllers included oh the av wires for this i believe have been previously repaired and wires spliced

Condition-Working fully functional

Dream Cast

Wires-All wires included as well as controller with memory card

Condition-Working fully functional

PlayStation

Wires-I believe i have all hook up wires and controller included with memory card

Condition-Unsure believe working and fully functional

PlayStation Portable Original "First Generation"

Wires: Homemade Charger

Condition- Used has some normal wear

Battery Not Included

Xbox 360

Wires-Power Brick and compatible ac cord

Condition-Open previously repaired seal broken has Red Ring Of Death

Love the meth heads.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
HAHAH!! Varying levels of completeness is def. a red flag. I hope you at least entertained meeting the guy in person. ;)

Tacitus

Staff member
HAHAH!! Varying levels of completeness is def. a red flag. I hope you at least entertained meeting the guy in person. ;)

Red Flags:

Can't Spell
Can't Use Punctuation
Can't Use Contractions
No Wires
Claims of "working" despite obviously having no way to test
Doesn't know where pieces are
Repaired/Still Broken Crap
Email address is a drug reference

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer

I have a coworker who sells a lot on Craigslist and he taught me to direct the other person as much as possible and and quick as possible to direct the sale and make sure it goes through. As they are all a bunch of lowballers and flakes. If they try to lowball me if it was severe enough I wouldn't bother answering, but then I thought I should take ownership of my sales as any opportunity is an opportunity. So I got creative and when I got lowballed on something I told the person, well it's worth this minimum. Your offer is lowball, the lowest it will do is higher than yours of course but lower than the original price. However I won't include the ac adapter, video cables, or controller.

I also hate the assholes who say oh gimme your address, I'm just like we didn't even set a time or day yet. And you know damn well those fuckers would try to lowball you in person too. So I make sure to establish a price beforehand as well and let them know about it more than once just so that they know

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Whenever I sell things on Kijiji, I specify that the price is firm, or that it is OBO. When I specify that price is firm (and it is a somewhat expensive item), I receive less replies and it may take longer to sell something, but I am usually only contacted by serious buyers and not resellers.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I also hate the assholes who say oh gimme your address, I'm just like we didn't even set a time or day yet. And you know damn well those fuckers would try to lowball you in person too. So I make sure to establish a price beforehand as well and let them know about it more than once just so that they know

Yeah, I find that pushy and creepy. I want the sale established before I give out any personal information like my address or even phone number. I don't know why people ask for a phone number when you can discuss anything you need to through email.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
You don't have to answer lowballing. Just tell the other person that there are a lot of people waiting in line, so kindly vacate your asshat offer. Always worked for me.

Also don't take no shit from anyone who tells you that you're lowballing yourself by setting your asking price below market. What price you set for your sale is your business.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
On the other side of things I hate dealing with jerk ass people who are selling things and tell you a bunch of crap so you'll come buy the item and then get ther and it's all wrong. I get that one on craigslist a lot, or rather used to.

The last one was a guy had 2 machines and described them way better than they were. The pictures were kind of shitty so I was going to take the gamble on them as they were in storage. I drove to his city and then once I got there, the units were a bit worse than expected but not bad enough to be an issue. Though the problem was he decided to jack the price up now that I was there.

Had pretty much that same thing happen again except when I got to the place the guy decided he didn't want to sell the machine. I'm pretty sure someone offered him more for it after he agreed to sell it to me.

Oh.. then again I bought a machine off of Klov. The guy wanted 1700 for it and I offered him 1500 for it. He told me that there was a guy ahead of me comming to look at it but if that guy didn't take it then he would sell it for 1500. So a few days later I get an email asking if I still want it. We work out the details for the game and then the shipping and I send the money.

But .... ooooh wait.. I get told now the game does not work and something is wrong so he does not want to sell it like that. I'm like, hey thats fine I've sent payment already. I'll take it as is just have it ready for the shipping.

But... oh no.. I don't feel right about selling it like that...

Anyhow no contact after that but at least got my payment back.

Then there is the usual arrange a time and date.. but no one is there... used to get that one a bit.

lastly there is that one other kind of seller. Lets just call him....

Kingsley Chang

zorro

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I've had an asshole seller on Craigslist jack up the price on an item described as non-working(at least I knew it was non-working before the deal) too once I got there, there 40 minutes put of my way.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I also hate the assholes who say oh gimme your address, I'm just like we didn't even set a time or day yet.

whoa, hold up. when I buy from classified ads, I MAKE SURE they meet me in a public place, like a grocery store parking lot to make sure I'm in a HIGHLY conspicuous place so I don't get robbed, gunned down, or both. anyone asking for my home address gets the spiel, and if they persist, get hung up on.

lastly there is that one other kind of seller. Lets just call him....

Kingsley Chang

I reached out to Kingsly recently to ask if he had any 2player NOIR Clone panels as he sells them on EBAY REGULARLY (since I have a 1p and don't wanna play alone). He told me he would check and asked what I picked mine up for (I got mine locally for less than half what he's charging for them). I made the mistake of telling him and I call it a mistake because he immediately replied that he didn't have the part in stock, and would never get it in stock again. Now it's a very big possibility that's true, but even still, it's very suspicious.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If I was selling something for 500 and a dude offered 400 I'd tell him to piss off.