aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
New translation; Includes scenario with the original 4 heroes. New graphics

has a limited edition.

500x_lunar.jpg

I'll be picking it up. Anyone else? Comes out on 2/23

califoreigner

Dodgeball Yakuza
This has been on my radar for awhile now. im hoping it doesn't take forever to hit the ps store because ive only got a go.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'd totally get this if I had a PSP.
Silver Story's my fave RPG ever.
i wanna be a dragonmaster when i grow up

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
the demo is up on psn anybody play it yet?

I'd try it;except I have a 32meg card that came with the original PSP.

Apparently, the demo save carries over to the released game.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
Tried it. MEH.

Imagine the PS1 version with very generic anime graphics. I was actually excited to play it, but meh.

I actually loved the Sega CD versions to death back in the day. I have yet to really enjoy a remade version.

I think the problem for me is the lack of random encounters. I hate entering a room, getting butt swarmed by enemies for like 5 battles in a row and then walking around bored after because there is nothing to fight.

I dislike not being able to explore the world map also. You just select where you want to go (I'm fuzzy on wheather or not the PS1 version is like this).

I also prefer the Sega CD sound track to the PS1 version used in this game.

One thing I found nice was that they went back to the source animations rather then using the washed out mpegs from our PS1 version. The cartoons look nice in their original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Another negative about this one is that the script is very dry and it's jarring to hear the new voice actors.

I guess I'm not going to flat out say that this version is terrible, just that it is not for me. This is probably a better choice then the gba version for a portable Lunar.

In many ways I think the jrpg is long dead (except for Dragon Quest). Either that or I'm becoming an old grumpy nerd :P

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Just finished the demo. I thought it was pretty good. Liked the updated graphics. I own and have played through the sega cd, ps1, and gba versions and I am still excited to play through this one. There is supposed to be a special "prize" if you start a new game with the demo save game...

One thing I wasn't to sure about is nall's voice, he no longer sounds like a little girl, but more like a young boy...

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
If I was fond of the 2 Working Design versions of this game, should I pick this one up?

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
If you liked it on PS1 and you're in the mood to play Lunar you'll probably like this one. Try the demo.

I'm going to have to pass on it myself.

kspiff

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm likely going to pick it up, but the LE bonuses are lacking compared to the PS1 box sets. Working Designs was king.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's now pushed back to 3/2 according to Gamestop. :scratch:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Not the update I wanted to read:crying:

I have set aside the money already.

I have the sega cd, ps1, saturn versions & gba of Silver Star Story:buttrock:

pepharytheworm

Super Sidekicks 3
Was the GBA one any good?

I liked the GBA port, a lot of the weapons are different and you can make more hits per turn then in the ps1 version. The sprites are quite large and now you don't move around on a open map. Its setup more like a guided map which doesn't matter since there were no map battles in the ps1 version. All the cut scenes are now pictures or real-time cutscenes and no voice acting. The script is supposedly closer to the japanese version. Its not better then the ps1 version but I liked it more then the sega cd version.

I didn't like the GBA version. To me, the story was gutted and dumbed down. The only other version that I have and played is the PS1. I never had the chance the play the Sega CD one. :envy:

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Sega CD Ver. = The G.O.A.T.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
The first time I ever played this was on PS1, and I remember liking that version a lot. Still, I'm guessing that the translation hasn't aged all that well (though it might be fun to chuckle at the old out of date pop culture references), and playing this on the go would be fun... I'll think about getting it. We'll see. Sounds like that demo is worth a go, at any rate.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'd rather see a new and really GOOD Lunar game released than all those ports.

Even if there are differences it boils down to the same game again in the end.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Hey, why do all these new members use Al Bundy as their picture..?

I agree though. A new game would be nice — it's not like we haven't seen Lunar before, and several times at that. Still, the PS1 version is pretty hard to come by these days, for a reasonable price, anyway.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The PS1 games are just ports of the Saturn ones. The second one even has slowdown when the battle menus come up.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
The sega cd versions of the two lunar games are king. Also, the pop culture references change in each version...they are based on the time that each remake is made.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Working Designs does the pop culture stuff. There weren't a lot of pop culture references in Ubisoft's translation of the GBA one. It was a more respectable, standard translation.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I wonder if XSEED will include references to the drama with the old WD team. Vic Ireland is a riot!