Mai Shiranui connection to The Knack

SongSiuHua

Overtop Pathfinder
LoneSage said:
Jubei Yagyu is a historical figure, but yeah, even with that in mind I can see some similarities I suppose. Nicotine and that old man are definitely off of each other.

Yes, there were SNK guys working on Ninja Scroll, I think.

If you look in the background before they first send the Koga ninja out to be killed by that sick rock dude with the huge sword, it looks like the Yagyu Jubei from the game is there eye patch and all! All you can see is his head from the shoulders up so he kinda blends into the crowd.

Last edited:

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
ForeverSublime said:
Is "Shiranui" a real Japanese name?

Yes. I don't know about last name, but I know of a ship named that and like an old city or something. That's all I got from the little research I did.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Source: http://www.geocities.jp/yadayo8/eiga/hu.html#pldt-contra

fmj01.jpg
nam01.png

fmj02.jpg
nam02.png

fmj03.jpg
nam03.png

I thought that was pretty interesting. Man oh man, does SNK ever love the pop culture references...

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
I don't think that's stupid at all, infact I think it's entirely possible judging by the references you've pointed out.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Hey, let's not forget that if it's true, it doesn't make it any less stupid.

Just... so... stupid.

Actually, come to think of it, if it were true, that would make it even more stupid.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
This thread so did not need a bump.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
EX_Andy said:
SNK tried to make subtle "hip" references to pop culture and American music in a bunch of its games (e.g. Galford makes a reference to The Vapors in SS4).
Rasetsu/Bust Galford's victory quote when he finishes his opponent with a Danmatsu Ougi / Fatality / No Contest? He only says "I'm think I'm turning Japanese!" in the English dialogue. The original Japanese quote is "Mita kai? Kore ga ore no yamatodamashii sa!" [You see? This is my Japanese spirit!] Personally, I don't think the nonsensical gibberish and lame attempts at humor that pervade the English-language settings of NEO games really form much in the way of support for Lone Sage's idea about Mai's name.

--Chris

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, I know the last two are from FMJ for sure. I can't remember what part of the movie the first scene is from since it's been a few years since I've seen it last, but if I had to guess it was probably during the final half hour or so.

The second scene was when Pvt. Pyle went nuts and killed R. Lee Ermey, and the last scene was when the Vietnamese lady got shot.