Mayan Credibility Is On the Line

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Not many days left before Mayan put-up-or-shut-up day. No more property taxes. No more income taxes. No more worrying about health insurance, car insurance, or other modern life bullshit problems. Will the Mayans come through? Will you ever be able to trust the Mayans again if they don't?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The world isn't that exciting and we're just not that lucky.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Every few years, people scream about the end of the world. It's as if people forgot that last 100 end of the world predictions flopped. It's retarded.

EDIT:

crazyman.jpg

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Any bets on the body count from the inevitable end of the world shooting spree?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Even when the world ends Death never seems to break even.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Did the mayans ever come out with a statement saying the world was ending or did they just run out of room on the calendar and planned on making a new one this year? We should check their twitter.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I want to read that last issue of The Invisibles. Anyone got it?

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Did the mayans ever come out with a statement saying the world was ending or did they just run out of room on the calendar and planned on making a new one this year? We should check their twitter.

No and no. :) Mayans have ever said anything about it being anything.

Without going into too much details and oversimplifying: Long story short, the mayan calandar in question (there are 2 used for different reasons) mostly deals with cycles with the day being the smallest unit. So you count of (20 AFAIR) days, once you reach the end of that cycle, it starts over and increases the count of the next unit, once that count of that unit reaches its maximum it increases the count of the next unit over, etc... etc... Think of it like interlocking cogs of different sizes turning together like a massive clock.

What's happening is that on December 21, 2012 the typical representation of the long count date would reach its roll-over point. Some people are taking that as the Mayans knew that the world was ending... Unfortunately for them, there are even more units higher that are just not typically added to the long count and if I remember correctly there are records of dates going passed Dec 21, 2012 using those units. :P

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Without going into too much details and oversimplifying: Long story short, the mayan calandar in question (there are 2 used for different reasons) mostly deals with cycles with the day being the smallest unit. So you count of (20 AFAIR) days, once you reach the end of that cycle, it starts over and increases the count of the next unit, once that count of that unit reaches its maximum it increases the count of the next unit over, etc... etc... Think of it like interlocking cogs of different sizes turning together like a massive clock.

What's happening is that on December 21, 2012 the typical representation of the long count date would reach its roll-over point. Some people are taking that as the Mayans knew that the world was ending... Unfortunately for them, there are even more units higher that are just not typically added to the long count and if I remember correctly there are records of dates going passed Dec 21, 2012 using those units. :P

I would have explained this myself earlier, but I realized it's a joke thread. :p

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
I know... But someone actually asked a question? :)

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I can't wait for all the "anthropologists" "scientists" or whatever they call themselves, to realize they have wasted their lives. Sadly they will probably just glom on to some small idiosyncratic detail of the "Mayan prophesy" and say that's why the world didn't end.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Anthropology isn't a valid science? It merits derision by being typed in quotes? I'd love to hear why anthropology should be discredited.

Anyway, I stopped trusting Mayans after they told me that KOF XII was going to be good.

So fuck them.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Anthropology isn't a valid science? It merits derision by being typed in quotes? I'd love to hear why anthropology should be discredited.

Anyway, I stopped trusting Mayans after they told me that KOF XII was going to be good.

So fuck them.

Anthropology is a valid science. The idiots who call themselves anthropologists and propagate this niche conspiracy/prophesy bullshit under the guise of some kind of science, are who I was referring to and why I used quotes.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

Ah, here comes the beginning of the inevitable Mayan backpedaling. td741, you and the rest of your Mayan buddies can sit on it. We see through your lies now.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
This model of reality was not designed to last as long as it has. We have already gone past the point where the original coders thought it would have ended so everything after that has just a repeat of the previous coded events with a few random things that resulted from unexpected interactions. Day time televison being one example as well as all those strange things through history have really just been little bits of bad code or other errors in the system. Sea monsters, ufo's, ghosts and such just system errors in the universe and pretty soon we will reach the day when everything is expected to reboot.

We're using up too much of the system memory in the universe. Everytime someone does something then the system has to fill in and create new textures and such. See, if I were to go out in my yard and dig a hole, well at the moment there is really nothing under the ground layer but once I start to remove the top ground layer the universe has to render the dirt and such that is under there. Basically anywhere that anyone looks ever has to be created when someone looks there. Because people are so darn curious they are filling up the memory of the universe with useless crap. Also the program only generates so many random objects so after a while things it starts to render become strange. Examples being when someone went into the woods and found a platypus, I mean what the hell was that really supposed to be?

It was a system error, but now we got tons of the darn things spawning everywhere. Same as when those science types had to go check out the bottom of the ocean and found all that strange ass crap. None of that existed until someone went looking around. Pretty soon we are going to use up all our available memory and crash hard. Though some expect things to slow down to a crawl due to system lag before it happens. At this point all we can do is stop doing new things and quit looking places we've not looked. We need to turn off that darn space telescope, quit going, humm.. I wonder whats in here, and go back to doing the same old shit all the time if we want this world to last.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

So fuck them.

I have an "anthropology" degree.

It probably isn't real science.

;)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I have an "anthropology" degree.

It probably isn't real science.

;)

Do you at least have a fedora, a gun and a whip?

Because goddamit, I know you history seekers are some bad motherfuckers.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The rich dude that used to put up all these signs about the World ends in May 24 doesn't seem to be bother doing that again.