Merc, Leiji Matsumoto Fans, how did I not hear about this?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I guess I'm glad I didn't know about this a year ago so I didn't have to go through the agonizing wait, but holy crap.

trailer is larger if you actually go to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJrCxD3Zz0

Looks like they took some inspiration from the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, especially in the pilot suits and helmets, but at the same time, it looks incredibly true to the original. The uniforms look great. It also looks like they are incorporating elements from the second movie/series, like the Space Marine Saito and his famous last stand.

There's an actual English language official site for the movie, so hopefully that means it will get some kind of release here in theaters (subtitled, please) and hopefully around the same time. As few movies as I go watch these days, I would definitely head to the theater for this.

It also says this is Steven Tyler's first project after disbanding Aerosmith. How weird a choice for a first solo project is that?

56 days until launch

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
It looks pretty damn sweet.

I'm also excited that Galaxy Express got licensed again in the US. Maybe now I can FINALLY get it on DVD... legitimately.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Hmm...that looks much better than expected.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Language origin question: Why is "Yamato" written in katakana?
Looks cool and always has been in katakana. Pretty common in titles. In fact, it's pretty nearly universal in anime titles: kanji and katakana.

I'm sure there are occasional exceptions, but the only one I can think of off hand is the 'no' in something like Hokuto no Ken. They rarely use the katakana 'no' for possessive. But that comes from a comic, and it's a little less universal in comics.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
A friend of mine just made me aware of it on Facebook about 2 weeks ago. I guess I didn't think to post anything on it. I have "mixed" feelings on it. But it looks like it might actually not suck. What worries me is seeing how the live action BUBBLEGUM CRISIS (original---Sonoda himself is involved) and Ghost In The Shell is going to end up?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It better be a better movie than G-Saviour. Ever since that movie, I've been like a whipped dog when it comes to live action adaptations of anime.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It better be a better movie than G-Saviour. Ever since that movie, I've been like a whipped dog when it comes to live action adaptations of anime.

I've purposely avoided G-Saviour other than to read the synopsis. No video, no screen shots. But right from the get-go, that was a horribly-written story, so there was a limit to how good it could have been even if the SFX needed to make it believable hadn't been too out of reach costly for them at that time.

But Yamato already has a great story to work from, so that is a huge head start.

Plus, G-Saviour was a co-production with the US or Canada or someone, and that always fucks things up.

There's always the chance for these things to go either way... I thought Casshern was excellent, but Devilman from around the same time was ludicrously bad. I think the big things Yamato has going for it is that the original was SO huge in the late '70s that I think there is a lot more pressure to do it justice and take it more seriously than many similar-type projects, and that every year they have waited (or been forced to wait due to litigation) has brought the FX and filmmaking technology they need to make a good Yamato movie closer within reach.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And I'd actually really love to see them take another stab at live action Gundam, based on the Tomino novels rather than a new story or adapting the animation. We're getting to the point I think it could be done well. Maybe in another 10 years.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
And I'd actually really love to see them take another stab at live action Gundam, based on the Tomino novels rather than a new story or adapting the animation. We're getting to the point I think it could be done well. Maybe in another 10 years.

Hathaways Flash could work well, I can imagine the big bulky mobile suit designs to translate well to CG and you could get some angsty teen to play Mafty/Hathaway :p (On a serious note, I think it could work well)

As for Yamato i'll give anything a chance :)

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hathaways Flash could work well, I can imagine the big bulky mobile suit designs to translate well to CG and you could get some angsty teen to play Mafty/Hathaway :p
Yeah, but I'd rather they start with the original novels so they could possibly introduce the franchise to a mainstream international audience. Hathaway's Flash relies too much on knowledge of previous continuity to mean anything to normal people.

Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the design of the Ξ Gundam. :p

rx-105.jpg

bleh.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Haha, true. Less we forget though, *SPOILERS* Amuro dies in the original novels in his G-3 Gundam.*END SPOILER* So maybe they can start with Beltorchika's Children?(Plus re-cap of original series or something to catch up to speed) I also agree with the Xi Gundam/Penelope Gundam designs haha, they look too much like Zeromyer

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I am enthusiastic about live action Yamato.

Less enthusiastic about Steven Tyler.

This project could go either way for me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Haha, true. Less we forget though, *SPOILERS* Amuro dies in the original novels in his G-3 Gundam.*END SPOILER* So maybe they can start with Beltorchika's Children?(Plus re-cap of original series or something to catch up to speed) I also agree with the Xi Gundam/Penelope Gundam designs haha, they look too much like Zeromyer
The thing that's great about the structure of the original three novels is that with all the Lalah stuff moved up, the first one could stand alone pretty well as one movie. So they wouldn't have to commit to a whole trilogy until they saw how the first one went and what the response was.

I bet if Yamato really takes off, they at least start considering it carefully, kind of mirroring the original Gundam compilation movies following the success of the Yamato animated movies of the late 1970s.

I first saw the design of the Ξ Gundam while playing Gundam Battle Universe, and I was shocked and completely disgusted by it. I felt like punching the designer in the throat.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
The thing that's great about the structure of the original three novels is that with all the Lalah stuff moved up, the first one could stand alone pretty well as one movie. So they wouldn't have to commit to a whole trilogy until they saw how the first one went and what the response was.

I bet if Yamato really takes off, they at least start considering it carefully, kind of mirroring the original Gundam compilation movies following the success of the Yamato animated movies of the late 1970s.

I first saw the design of the Ξ Gundam while playing Gundam Battle Universe, and I was shocked and completely disgusted by it. I felt like punching the designer in the throat.

You are absolutely correct. I also think even a live action version of the Movie Trilogy(which I absolutely adore and watch more often than the series) would work well too. Xi Gundam seems to be a casualty of 80s mecha designs(Zeromyer, Dangaioh etc) I loved the novel though(the little I could understand) if not for its signature Tomino creulty. A live action Ideon movie would be amazing too, I cant imagine finding someone with a fro as big as Cosmos though haha.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, Ideon could be a great (if a bit surreal) movie or two. Kind of a Gundam meets Blake's 7 with the end of the Universe.

edit: BTW, there was a hilarious chapter in the comic Gundam Sousei relating to Ideon, if you are following that. I love Gundam Sousei.

Last edited:

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah, Ideon could be a great (if a bit surreal) movie or two. Kind of a Gundam meets Blake's 7 with the end of the Universe.

edit: BTW, there was a hilarious chapter in the comic Gundam Sousei relating to Ideon, if you are following that. I love Gundam Sousei.

I haven't been following it recently but I am a fan. I gotta catch up. Been reading a lot of 4koma for Super Robot Wars games recently that and a healthy dose of Osamu Tezuka mangas. Have you ever read Crossbone Gundam? It builds on the F91 era of the UC pretty nicely, although I have a soft-spot for those designs and characters.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
I for one was always pissed that Kusko Ai was totally removed from the animation of Mobile Suit Gundam. She was equally bad ass to Lala Sun and the whole NewType phenomenon in the original 3-part novel series.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
I for one was always pissed that Kusko Ai was totally removed from the animation of Mobile Suit Gundam. She was equally bad ass to Lala Sun and the whole NewType phenomenon in the original 3-part novel series.

It's very strange but it seems with time parts of the novels have become cannon(G-3 Gundam for example) but Kusko Ai from what I know isn't. I love that we have this alternate version of the 0079 story as I feel some parts of the novel are superior to the animated version and vice-versa. BTW Merc, I didnt get to post in the other thread in which we were talking about Votoms, but I would very much like to read your Votoms side story if you do end up finishing it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

I like the character, too, but technically, she wasn't removed from the animation -- she was added to the novels. The novels actually came second. In my mind, I think they were Tomino's response to having to make everything he did be a 30 minute toy commercial. The novels were his chance to retell the story in a more adult way as he probably always would have liked to without having to cater to sponsors.

Have you ever read Crossbone Gundam? It builds on the F91 era of the UC pretty nicely, although I have a soft-spot for those designs and characters.

I've only read the first few chapters of Crossbone so far. I can't help wondering how much Tomino was actually involved in writing the story, since the characterization and pacing is so different than normal for him. I don't know if it's just the different medium, or if he just came up with the concept and let Hasegawa tell the story his own way. I know there are some cases like that in manga where they use someone's name in the credits for the name recognition and to lend legitimacy to the comic more than for the person's actual contribution. I have no way of knowing; it's just something I wonder about.

As for the Crossbone Gundams themselves, they are a little too Harlock for my taste, when it comes to Gundam. I love Harlock, but the two things together are such a weird mix and I don't know if it works for me. I definitely like the look of the Ver. Ka Crossbone model with the slightly more understated chest logo over the regular MG giant chest skull version. And I saw a youtube review for a Ver. Ka Crossbone 2 Gundam (repainted Crossbone 1) that I thought looked pretty sweet.

But I do like the F91 movie a lot. I think it takes a lot more criticism than it should. The story is good, the animation is beautiful, and the Crossbone Vanguard grunt suit, Denan Zon (basically, their Zaku) is one of my favorite mobile suit designs of the entire franchise (although it might be supplanted by my growing like for Unicorn's Geara Zulu).

ban960475.jpg

But yeah, I like Seabook and Cecily, so I do plan to eventually read the rest.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
BTW Merc, I didnt get to post in the other thread in which we were talking about Votoms, but I would very much like to read your Votoms side story if you do end up finishing it.

Did you read the entire thread where I mentioned the "Blue Knight Berserga" novels and all that and linked to Armor Hunter Merowlink? (in case you missed it).

And as far as that fan fiction novel goes. One day I'll finish it, but right now my priority is finally getting published my future noir action-drama story. Imagine "Band of Brothers" in the AT VOTOMS universe, and that's kind of the direction I went with. Though when I penned (most of it) Band of Brothers hadn't been made yet. I wanted to take the reader back into the 100 Year War, and be a grunt. Thing is, the main character goes off on some crusade, and it's HIS actions that actually cause the Planbandol Scandal (from Merowlink) to happen, and is basically more responsible for Merow's plight. But this stems from something that happened during the Fiura Campaign (from off of the RPG timeline, and talks with Tim Eldred)... the story ends prior to episode 1 of the TV series (still have to right that part) and directly before the event's of Tim Eldred's "Supreme Survivor" manga, in where Chirico shows up.

I like the character, too, but technically, she wasn't removed from the animation -- she was added to the novels. The novels actually came second. In my mind, I think they were Tomino's response to having to make everything he did be a 30 minute toy commercial. The novels were his chance to retell the story in a more adult way as he probably always would have liked to without having to cater to sponsors.

WOW. Thanks for clearing that up. :eek:

All this time I thought it was the novels that came first and he (Tomino) had to dumb it down for TV. I guess this makes sense then. I really did like the novels much better than the anime though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I really did like the novels much better than the anime though.

Me too, for the most part. Especially the end. I really would have like to have read Tomino's Z Gundam novels (and there were 5 of them for Z, compared to the 3 novels for the original series) to see how he carried on from that point... If the story would have gone a different direction without Amuro, or if the novels would have been based more on the tv series where Amuro was still alive and not be a continuation of the original novels. I was really hoping those would get translated (along with Beltorchika's Children), but I guess the original novels didn't do well enough in the US to warrant it.

The funny thing is that although they might not have sold too well the two times they brought the novels out here, they go for a completely ridiculous price now. Amazon sellers offer the second english version of the novels for about $200.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Amuro dying is a fail for me, so no novel series adaptation to live action for me, thanks. Actually, they could adapt the novels but don't kill Amuro at the end and I'm cool with it. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

And +1 for F-91. I think it's a pretty good movie but was probably a victim of the changing climate of anime at that time. Seabook is, maybe, my favorite Gundam pilot and F-91 is my favorite Gundam.