Mercari - Have any of you used it also some pimping from me.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Okay here is the deal.

I got sick of dealing with ebay and thought I would give it a try.

So far it's okay. The thing I have noticed is that the user base is small enough that you can sometimes find deals on there.

I've managed to snag a few deals on gaming items for good prices.

There are things I like about it and things I don't.

First, they give you a coupon for 5 bucks for buying something, $20 or more just for listing something. So I listed some crap I didn't really expect to sell, just to get the coupon.

When you buy or sell something, they hold the funds until the person who gets the product confirms getting it and then leaves their review, or 3 days after the tracking shows it arrived. Whatever one is first there.

That is interesting as it kind of forces any issues with the item to be taken care of right away.

I've not had any issues with the things I've bought.

Next, you get a coupon for installing the app and making a purchase. It was like 20 off of something, but I don't remember the minimum amount to spend. I ended up using that to buy a Nintendo Switch.

I don't like how it shows you sold items when you do searches, but I understand the thinking they are going for there.

Lastly, and here is me doing some pimping out.

I get a link for that anyone uses it to sign sign up and they get discount coupons.

It works like this. They get $10 off thier first order and $20 when they make their first $100 in sales.

I get a little coupon for some cash the fist time they buy or sell something.

I'm not saying you should sign up, but here is my link if you want to.

https://merc.li/wvSY6qSnb

Over all it is lacking in a lot of ways, but maybe it will grow and be able to take on ebay. I'm giving a shot as I've lost about 1k in ebay scams just this year alone and am sick of spending money with them.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I used to to sell some stuff and make some buys. It makes haggling easier, and I don't think the fee is as large to sell as on ebay, though I haven't sold on eBay in a long time.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I use Mercari as well...bought a few things like LEGO sets on there and you are right, there seem to be more deals to be had than on eBay. Or maybe I just got lucky...

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I like that, I don't think the structure is there (the way it is with ebay) for people to be sitting up bots to just buy shit when it is listed.

I've had that happen on ebay a few times with "buy it now" listings where an item sells the moment the listing goes live. Sometimes when that would happen a day or two later I would get an email with someone wanting to cancel the sale. I suppose their app bought it when it wasn't quite what they were looking for. Last one I remember like that was a Genesis game with a reprint case insert. The auction explained that the insert was just a print out I made, it sells the second it goes live and days later the guy wants to cancel because of the insert.

I think if people are actually having to look through the listings and it takes a little work, there is more of a chance for people to find the deals before the resellers get the stuff.