Metal Slug X - BRAVO!

Stryder

n00b
I'm still pretty new to the Neo Geo scene and just got my consolized MVS hooked up over the weekend. I just finished Metal Slug X and fully enjoyed it. Great non-stop action, great music and an all around great experience :buttrock:

How does Metal Slug X rate against the others? I'm curious because this is the only one I've played, or own for that matter.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Stryder said:
I'm still pretty new to the Neo Geo scene and just got my consolized MVS hooked up over the weekend. I just finished Metal Slug X and fully enjoyed it. Great non-stop action, great music and an all around great experience :buttrock:

How does Metal Slug X rate against the others? I'm curious because this is the only one I've played, or own for that matter.

The best, side-by-side with 3. You'll like 2, since it's almost the same game (X is a "special"version of 2), but have too much "deja vu" feeling.

Some people says 5 fares well against his older brothers, but it's a love-or-hate issue.

4 is the weaker.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A lot of the more serious players/1CC'ers/score mongers swear by the first one. They're right; it's a masterpiece.

If you like one, get them all.....they're all great. I suggest you play 4 next, that way it will be special to you and you wont hate it. Personally, I love the game. True, it is the weakest of the bunch, but there has to be one on bottom and if your a true Slug fan you'll focus on what's new and not what's missing.

I debate myself on a regular basis which is the better between 1 and 3....basically, you can't go wrong with either

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
MSX was the first Slug I ever played and now I have 1, X, 3, 4 and 5...I still think X is the best. For me, some of the stages on MS1 are way too short. I recently swapped out my X cart in my 4 slot for MS1 and while it's still a good game, MSX just seems faster paced and the controls seem a little tighter/quicker. You can't really go wrong with any of the slugs, in my opinion. MS4 is kind of pants, but is still better than a lot of other games that are out there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
2>X

I like 2 the best, then 1, then 3, then 5 - have not played 4 or 6.

Just pick up 1 or 3. Unless you become a DIEHARD Slug fan then, you don't need MS2 (Even though it is better than X).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't mind that some of the stages in the first game are kind of sort. That increases my chances of being able to get through some of them without taking a hit. I've tried to see how far I can get without dying in all of the MS games. And in most of them I can get to late in the 2nd stage or the 3rd stage, but it all goes quickly downhill from there. MS1 is the one exception I guess where I can get a little further sometimes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Neo Alec said:
I don't mind that some of the stages in the first game are kind of sort. That increases my chances of being able to get through some of them without taking a hit. I've tried to see how far I can get without dying in all of the MS games. And in most of them I can get to late in the 2nd stage or the 3rd stage, but it all goes quickly downhill from there. MS1 is the one exception I guess where I can get a little further sometimes.

MS1 is the only one I am fairly certain I can ICC - I have beat it on 3 credits before (i was so close!).

MS2 I like to play for High Score, and I believe I can get 5th Mission on 1 credit? I think it's fifth at least.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
MS1 is fun and probably the easiest in the series.

4 isn't that bad, but only get it to complete the full collection or you will be disappointed.

and finally...

2>X :D

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Actually, I thought 4 was magnificent when I first got it. I got them all in order. It's still not bad at all.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
topher said:
when playing on an emulator with no slowdown, 2>X :D

Fixed. Yes, if there were no slowdown, 2 would be better. Guess what? That's not the case. 2's slowdown is so horrible, it takes all the fun away.

Stryder

n00b
Verythrax said:
(X is a "special"version of 2)

I wasn't aware of this. So if I have X, should I pass on getting 2?

And thanks for everyone elses input. I will be looking to get a couple more Slugs :buttrock:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
Fixed. Yes, if there were no slowdown, 2 would be better. Guess what? That's not the case. 2's slowdown is so horrible, it takes all the fun away.

Fail, fail, fail, fail.

The slowdown in 2 is not that bad, nor does it break the game in anyway.

I honestly feel the slowdown is only bad in Mission 2, and after that I barely notice it.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
bighedkingpin said:
If you like one, get them all.....they're all great. I suggest you play 4 next, that way it will be special to you and you wont hate it.

If he plays 4 next, he might no longer want to play any others ^^

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Atrophyed said:
If he plays 4 next, he might no longer want to play any others ^^

I agree, 4 is fucking terrible. stick with 1, x and 3.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Stryder said:
I wasn't aware of this. So if I have X, should I pass on getting 2?

And thanks for everyone elses input. I will be looking to get a couple more Slugs :buttrock:

Let me explain, X was made because 2 came out second (well, duh) and while it did some awesome things to expand on the first, the slow down (in some opinions, such as mine) was fucking horrible. So horrible, that they actually made another game... and that is Metal Slug X. Yes, you can argue that the colors are better in 2, and yes, they give away the surprise alien ending by showing them on level 4. Other than that, there's more enemies, more weapons, and no slow down. I say pass on 2 and go to 1 and 3. Seriously.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:
Fail, fail, fail, fail.

The slowdown in 2 is not that bad,

Then tell me, good sir, why did they make Metal Slug X? If it wasn't that bad, why didn't they leave in the slowdown in X? Explain this shit to me.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
yes, they give away the surprise alien ending by showing them on level 4.
You can also see an alien ship floating by in the far off background at the very opening of the first stage in X. It's quite cool -- subtle. And I don't see the problem with revealing the secret earlier on, since most players have already seen the story in the previous game.

The slowdown in MS2 is tolerable enough if you play on 1-player. No worse than a game like Blazing Star, really. I'm glad they fixed it so it wasn't as bad in future MS games though.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Here is the deal, as unbiased as you can get. The general consensus, as far as the population outside this board is concerned, is that 3 is the best game. However, X is the only slug game that was on IGNs top 100 games of all time list, although it has now been removed. There is a lot of love though for the first Metal Slug as well.

So all that said, overall the best are considered to be X, 3, and 1 (not in any particular order or rank)

All this crap about Slug 2>X is just a fad existing only among a dozen people on this board. It's the same thing that happens to people who listen to one band all the time. After they burn the singles or more popular songs out, they go to the B sides or non singles. And then it becomes trendy among fans of that band to regard the B-sides as more "artistic" than the others because it's underground, not as well known or liked, etc. The truth of it is, just like MJs "Thriller" album doesn't continue to sell because of songs like "Human Nature", the Metal Slug series isn't a popular and highly regarded game series because of Slug 2. Remember that when deciding which slug to buy next.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
caleb1883 said:
All this crap about Slug 2>X is just a fad existing only among a dozen people on this board. It's the same thing that happens to people who listen to one band all the time. After they burn the singles or more popular songs out, they go to the B sides or non singles. And then it becomes trendy among fans of that band to regard the B-sides as more "artistic" than the others because it's underground, not as well known or liked, etc. The truth of it is, just like MJs "Thriller" album doesn't continue to sell because of songs like "Human Nature", the Metal Slug series isn't a popular and highly regarded game series because of Slug 2. Remember that when deciding which slug to buy next.

Fact: Human Nature features the band Toto.

You're dead wrong though. Your opinion borders on Darky Andy moronism.

As a diehard Metal Slug Fan I feel 2 is better than X. And I even played 2 first you dolt. The remixed parts of X are shit, complete with BOSSES FROM METAL SLUG 1, and new terrible color palette swaps. The only thing X has going for it that makes it in anyway better than 2 is no slowdown.

They aren't the exact same game, and any slug fan will tell you that. No one says they like X better because the remixed parts are better than 2 (They aren't) - it's because of NO SLOWDOWN.

Hell, I even TOLD him to STICK WITH X unless he REALLY gets in to the Metal Slug series.

I think I also reccomended a purchase of either MS1 or MS3. MS1 has a beautiful simplicity to it, and MS3 has multiple paths, an epic scope, and badass vehicles.

In short, go fuck yourself.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Seriously though, Metal Slug 5 is worth if if you can get it for a decent price.

I mean, yeah there is a new (stupid) mechanic...but....but...the music is amazing, and that combined with some fairly cool new slugs, and interesting level design (though it does seem all over the place) make me feel like it's a worthy addition to the series, though clearly not as good as 1, 2, or 3.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Metal Slug 2 slowdown isn't an issue if you overclock your cpu ;)

But even with the nicer color palette, X provides better sound samples ( it is nicely noticeable on the subway stage, and Slug 3 is even more noticeable )

There are different hidden bonuses, longer stages, no slowdown, more enemies, more weapons...

It's the best Slug along with 3.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Spike Spiegel said:

Wrong. I personally find myself playing 2 on my cab more then any other slug followed closely by 1 then 4.

The only time X makes it into a cab is if someone asks to play it. Most of my friends prefer 1 over all but really aren't bothered with slowdown either. Gives you a chance to evaluate the playfield for a second if you know how to use it to your advantage.

X isn't a bad game, I personally don't think it's as good as everyone makes out.

X really is the B-side to 2.

And Biblophile, no, not a fad -- personal opinion. Really, that's all any of this comes down to.

G

giligan1004

Sorry to just randomly pop in but when i first got my wii i rented metal slug anthology
loved every game!!!! and when my dad got married in 2004 there was a metal slug arcade machine at the lodge place thing,,,
now im hooked lol