Missing Neo postal advice *help*

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Ok ,any advice/help that can be given will be greatly appreciated as Ive never been in this situation before and need to know im doing this by the book as it where.

OK, I sold a Unibios 2 AES system and Fatal Fury 3 on Ebay:

These 2 sales were seperate - not one bundle as shown in the links below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8218214474

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8219665008

Fatal fury 3 was paid for by the buyer by paypal e-cheque which has now cleared.

The Unibios was paid for in cash by the buyer.

I sent all the items out together in one bundle and said that I would send the bundle out FOR FREE (i paid for the posatge) if he bought the system as well - which he did.

I insured the bundle upto £200 - which is what the buyer paid for the bundle. Although the parcel is fully insured, it is not trackable online and I told him this is how I would be sending the item as I was paying for shipping.

I sent the goods out on Thursday 22 of September by Parcel Force and this cost me around £10 which included the extra compensation and it can take upto 7 working days to arrive.

I emailed the buyer when it had been sent and told him it would take upto 7 working days to arrive.

The problems started on Monday of this week, the 26th - so just 2 working days after being sent with the buyer asking where the parcel is.

I'll keep long story short, today is thursday and Ive had 6 emails from him (all pleasant and polite) asking where the parcel is, and everytime Ive told him that it can take upto 7 working days, so please be patient and if it is not with him by Monday evening (the 7th day) to let me know and Ill start compensation proceedures.

I got this email from him this afternoon:

"So if the parcel does not turn up on monday how long is this going to take for
me to be refunded, to honest with u david im not very happy about this, its ok
for you
because ive sent you all the money and you've received it with no problems but
ive still yet to recieve my stuff you did not even send the items via a
trackible service
if the items do not turn up by monday i would like a full refund.
K.

I emailed him back to say I was disappointed in his attitude and he must be more patient.
I also said that I would refund him the money out of my own pocket, if it came to that BUT not on Monday as I dont feel anywhere near enough time has elasped and he also needs to comply with parcel force for a refund to be issued.

Basically, what I need to know is this:

Did I do the right thing by saying no refund on Monday, especially as its not trackable online I cant clarify whether its arrived or not until the Parcel Force enquiry starts?

I was abit annoyed by his statements over the postal service I used, especially as he got it for FREE. Ive used parcel force for 5 years and never once had a problem.

So, honest opinions please - what would you do in my shoes :spock:

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Honestly, from that email, he's sounds like a wanker but that's my oppinion.
Anyway, How can anyone expect shipping to be ON TIME, it never is unless it;s EMS or whatever.

The shipping was totally FREE?, that's damn generous and hell that guy shouldn't be complaining.

You did the right thing and said no refund on monday as he's being an impatient bitch, I'm so patient with shipping time.....1 and a half months to get a sega saturn, hell I didnt complain, you get what you pay for.
But in this case the damn shipping it FREE....some people are just soo paranoid about shipping and expect it will be at their door in an instant.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
lachlan said:
Honestly, from that email, he's sounds like a wanker but that's my oppinion.
not just your's. he's either a wanker or just plain stupid.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
I never quite understood why ParcelForce dosent have a tracking number? annoying... I would leave it Longer than 7 days, maybe up to 10 days. Then give him a refund, but do it by cheque, that way you can cancel it if he says he got it on the 11th day! :)

He sounds like a twat anyway. Sign his cheque by wiping your arse on it :kekeke:

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Thanks for the comments guys - just wanted to make sure I wasnt being unreasonable or anything like that - I ran it by my sister and she was of the opinion to tell him to stop moaning and grow up, but thats just my big sis :D

I just got this email from him about 10 mins ago,

"Ok no probs, I can c you are a honest seller and I will wait till monday and c
what happens but the royal mail should no I have not recieved it because ive
not signed for it, I am sorry david but you have to look at it from my angle, I
will do anything you need me to if the parcel does not arrive i.e confirm in
wrighting but I must admit Ive been dealing with the royal mail a lot longer
than five years and things have gone missing before I think you are putting to
much faith in our postal service.
many thanks K. "

Alot more reasopnable than before, but I have a horrible feeling that if it hasnt arrived by Monday shits gonna hit the fan and he'll be jumping up and down for a refund again.

I mean, dont get me wrong, ill refund the guy out of my own pocket if I have to, but the only way I'll know 100% he hasnt got the parcel is going through the insurance process which takes time and patience - Im just concerened that if I refund him too quickly and something goes wrong with the insurance claim, ill be £200 out of pocket + £200 worth of goods as well :annoyed:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
man, fuck that asshole. i hate buyers that email the next day asking where their package is. the fact of the matter is you paid for shipping it a certain method which he agreed to. as long as you have the reciept and can offer up proof you shipped it the problem is not yours.

if the seller was so concerned about the saftey and timeline of his package arriving he should have sprung for a different shipping method with tracking. how the hell can the seller be responsible for what happens during shipping, unless the item was packed like shit?

if you can provide evidence that you shipped via the agreed upon method (IE: scanner and reciepts, customs forms, etc) then you should NOT offer a refund.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Next time, use a trackable shipping service. This guy could just say that the pacakge never arrived and take the goods and your refund. With tracking, there's no lying about it!

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
ki_atsushi said:
Next time, use a trackable shipping service. This guy could just say that the pacakge never arrived and take the goods and your refund. With tracking, there's no lying about it!

yeah, good advice - I think next time I try and do someone a favour over shipping I'll go halves with them on the cost on trackable shipping rather than standard.

I do have the reciept which confirms date/time of shipping which also confirms that I paid extra for compensation upto £200 wo I am covered with the post office

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
beh3moth said:
I never quite understood why ParcelForce dosent have a tracking number? annoying... I would leave it Longer than 7 days, maybe up to 10 days. Then give him a refund, but do it by cheque, that way you can cancel it if he says he got it on the 11th day! :)

He sounds like a twat anyway. Sign his cheque by wiping your arse on it :kekeke:

I would not suggest issuing a refund until the insurance claim has been fully processed. Don't know parcel force, but USPS can take 2-3 months to process a claim. You don't want to refund, and then find out 2-3 months later proof from the postal service that the package was delivered and signed for.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
yeah, good advice - I think next time I try and do someone a favour over shipping I'll go halves with them on the cost on trackable shipping rather than standard.

I do have the reciept which confirms date/time of shipping which also confirms that I paid extra for compensation upto £200 wo I am covered with the post office

Thats good. Let the guy who bought that stuff from you know that you won't give him a refund, the postal service will if it truly has been lost. There's way too much opportunity for you to be scammed in this situation.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
if its insured why would you refund out of pocket? let the post office take care of it.

not like it even matters since the thing isnt even supposed to arrive yet. :lol:

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
great, sellers vs buyers thread again...

djrconsoles kr1 - i do feel you frustration, and all the posts thus far suggested for you to "cover yourself ..." at all times as a seller.

while it will be possible that the buyer scam you by claiming he never recieved the package, if you have no way of proving that (a) sent the item (b) the package, for some reason, did not reach intended location. these are the two areas that you are culpable for as a seller, and in both areas that you have to cover your ass. item (a) yes you can prove but what about item (b)?? if you have delivery confirmation and tracking that would prove the parcel reach the intended destination and signed for by the buyer or buyer representative then that will cover your ass in item (b) which looks like you do not have item (b) covered...

bottom line, buyer satisfied his end of the bargain, and have certain (hopefully) reasonable expectations of service (shipping methods, reciept of item as advertised), whatever the buyer met his end of the deal, now its your turn. buyer should not be involved in any way of the parcel's distribution, all of this is on the seller's domain and the sellers choice of mail carrier. if the buyer does not get the parcel at a reasonable amount of waiting period it should be buyers right to ask for refund.

i am not sure of your customer service threshold, certainly how much money was dealt with, but no matter how the deal had went, whether you agreed that you will cover the shipping expense, you as seller have control of that deal and made the commitment to it, hence responsible for making sure that the parcel reach destination and customer had indicated he/she in fact received parcel and the item is what the buyer expects. if the item is satisfactory then that where you are free and clear of the transaction, not before.

i do hope for you that the mail carrier you used simply was slower this time around, and this experience pass. hopefully you would cover and anticipate better on your next transaction if you are a seller. :smirk:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
i disagree. i think the sellers responsibility ends when he or she ships the item via the agreed upon method. it should be the buyers responsibility to cover the costs of any shipping method he prefers and any services like tracking and insurance.

many buyers want the cheapest possible method, so why should the seller be put at risk because the buyer wont spring for tracking/insurance? this is the reason i will only ship with tracking and/or delivery confirmation and leave insurance up to the buyer. on the flip side, if the seller will not ship with a method that allows for tracking, i will not buy from him.

just saying you shipped it isnt enough though, which is why all reciepts and paperwork should be held until the deal is finished.

evasyar

Genjuro's Frog,
i do agree that usually shipping is mutually agreed method bet.buyer and seller...

...it just did not happen on this instance, tho.

seller voluntered FREE shipping (very nice gesture) and hence all responsibility shifted solely on seller. buyer did not have control. in this instance, dj may lose out unnecessarily (i do hope it does not happen worse case scenario) or maybe not. this predicament could have been avoided and seller protecting self to potential scamming threat. i hope the buyer is honorable. :spock:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
If the item is insured and the buyer claims that the item never arrived. Get the claim, go through the process and once it is paid, send him that. The only money you should lose out on is the money spent on shipping.

Buyer does not seem to be very reasonable and doesn't shut up as the 7 business days covers 9 actual days upon the shipping date. - so there should have not been any more coorespondence during that period.

Don't let him have his cake and eat it too.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
evasyar said:
...it just did not happen on this instance, tho.

seller voluntered FREE shipping (very nice gesture) and hence all responsibility shifted solely on seller. buyer did not have control. in this instance, dj may lose out unnecessarily (i do hope it does not happen worse case scenario) or maybe not. this predicament could have been avoided and seller protecting self to potential scamming threat. i hope the buyer is honorable. :spock:

naw, the free shipping was part of the sale that the buyer agreed to. im assuming the buyer knew what method the item was shipping with, so if he didnt agree with it or wanted something else he should have brought up the subject before bidding.

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
FeelGood said:
naw, the free shipping was part of the sale that the buyer agreed to. im assuming the buyer knew what method the item was shipping with, so if he didnt agree with it or wanted something else he should have brought up the subject before bidding.

Again, thanks for all your comments - thats why I started this thread, so I could see how other people would see the situation from a third party view.

The buyer was aware of what shipping method I was going to use before I sent it out - I confirmed for him when I would be sending it out and I also said I would pay extra for the compensation, which is just as well now.
So the buyer knew what shipping method was going to be used and I paid for insurance, not the buyer.

Ive not heard from him in the last 24hours as Ive said theres nothing I can do until at least Monday when a claim can be started, so Im sure I'll hear from him then.

ALso, it does take around 2-3 months for claims to be completed - I had a samurai shodown 4 US AES go missing about 4 months ago and the seller made me wait the 3 months for the claim to go through - which I did as I trusted the seller and was kept informed throughout.
I just know that this guy will not wait that long by his previous actions and I'll more than likely get 2 negatives on Ebay by then :very_ang:

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Dave, you're a nice guy and you need to be careful that people don't take advantage of that. He could be a scammer and get the parcel and the refund if you're too nice. You need to play it by the book and only give him a refund if and when you get compensated by parcelforce. The chances are the parcel will arrive in the 10 days anyway!

I know it's a bitch that people might leave you bad feedback because a parcel got lost in the post, but you get your chance to respond to bad feedback and most buyers will read that and realise that the buyer was being a twat and it wasn't your fault that the parcel got lost.

I'm in that situation at the moment. I bought a game on ebay a month ago. After 2 weeks I emailed the guy asking where it was and he said he had a death in the family so hadn't posted the item, but it was now in the post and would be with me in 10 days. 2 weeks later I'm still waiting... What should I do? I don't want to leave bad feedback because it's not his fault if the parcel got lost. But what if he's trying to scam me? It sounds unlikely because he's got over 700 positive feedbacks and over 99% positive. Good job it's only worth 10 quid.

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Cheers very much for that mate, I really appreciate it.

I am starting to lose my patience a little now as I got another email from him around 12:00pm today saying he still hasnt got the parcel and he isnt happy -

Thats not a bad statement in its own right, but as I told him yesterday(twice) theres nothing I can do until MONDAY and I asked to email me on Monday, Ive no idea what he expects me to do today, thursday, as he knows we're both waiting for Monday - he just seems to have no patience at all!

I hope you're situation works out buddy, and I suppose its as you said, at least its a tenner so not a major amount(although thats not the point but you know what I mean) - his purchase was £210, so I dont want to give him that out of my pown pocket and find I also lose £210 in stuff thats never returned to me or refunded by parcel force - then im out £420 :very_ang:

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Jesus, things go from bad to worse in the space of an hour!

I just went to the post office after I got his email to see if there was anything I could do as he's pissing me off and becoming the bain of my life.

They gave me a form that needs to be filled out which needs all of the buyers details, i.e. name, address, post code etc as well as my detials, receipts and loads of other crap.
The post office told me that once Id sent this form, along with the original reciept, parcel force would be in touch within 1 week and would start an investigation.

I emailed him saying that I'd been to the post office and I needed his details so I can fill out this form and parcel force can start its investogation(bare in mind this is still within the 7 working days!) and I got this email back:

"Hi there david this hole matter is going to take nearly 1 month im sorry but
you cannot expect me to wait for the compensation claim to come through for me
to get a refund, please dont take this the wrong way but by law if you pay for
a item and do not recieve it the seller must refund the money or replace the
goods with the same goods or if agreed a replacement item im very sorry david
but i cant wait this amount of time.
K."

Notice no sign at all of his details that I requested?

I emailed back saying we need to wrk together to even start the investigation and under no circumstances would I provide a refund until parcel force has started its investogation as I cant get a refund, so id be £420 out of pocket.

So I guess Im waiting to hear back from him now......

I have also kept every email he has sent to me, and every email I have sent back as proof(to ebay and paypal) that ive done everything I can to help this guy and I am now of the opinion that he is being unreasonable - I mean, the 7 working days hasnt even elapsed yet!

Kjcos_999

Overtop Pathfinder
I've had this problem earlier this year with lost parcels.
DO NOT PAY HIM UNTIL YOU HAVE THE REFUND
I'm currently £80 out of pocket from a parcel that went missing in July, and I refunded him whilst Parcelforce have done feck all about my claim so far.

It does sound like a scammer trying it on.

beh3moth

Robert "Helmet" Patrick
he sounds creepy, is his name Brian Peppers ?

Or maybe Hal 9000 ?

I had the same problem with lost parcels, and the post office won't accept a photocopy of your original reciepts (even if the make the copy themselves!).

So if they lose your form, and your reciepts, then you are royally fucked!

I was lucky, the girl I dealt with was really fast processing my claim, she mailed me when it was ready and confirmed by phone.
But that was for a recorded delivery item, why oh why do parcelforce not give you a reciept??!!?!? They say that it is their 'Courier' department after all.