More ebay bitching

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This guy just bought repro labels, slapped them on trash carts. Notice how there has been no effort made to wipe the filth out of the plastic of those carts? Also, the wear makes no sense, if it's that dirty, why would a label be that perfect. If it was originally the old stickers, it can check out. It only was a matter of time before those assholes selling packs of labels for the rarest games caused open scams. Disgusting crap.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Only way I can tell if a label is right is by looking at the reflection of a light and see if the texture match. This is probably not something that can be verified on an ebay photo.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Only way I can tell if a label is right is by looking at the reflection of a light and see if the texture match. This is probably not something that can be verified on an ebay photo.

This. I have been fooled before. If in doubt, ask.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTMwWDE0Njg=/z/2WsAAOSwEeFU23Ra/$_57.JPG

After 1994, the labels are more paperlike sticker quality, and prone to rubbing lines that are prominent where the sticker goes from edge label to front. Anyone with a killer instinct that was heavily used has experienced this rubbing effect at some point in childhood. It sticks out more because the game cart color is pitch black. This line will always be white as the printing wears.
I do not own Hagane. Can anyone confirm if this conforms to this change in quality? If it doesn't, and Hagane IS paperlike, it's a candidate for concern. That shouldn't be glossy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Guns-G...293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4d2d068705

A example of what I feel Wild Guns should look like. IE; ex rental sticker is removed, more paper like label has easily torn, while if done right, you can avoid that damage if the original glossy label is intact. just make sure it doesn't get underneath the sticker. This makes sense, as it is a death sentence here. (The old trick of taking the sticker and pushing it on the sticker residue to remove it will actually start pulling parts of the cheap stickers off.. Glossy label stuff or GTFO basically..) Soooo, explain to me why that Wild Guns exhibits a nice glossy sheen off the picture that was done of that there?

Once again Metal Warriors. 1995 title. Seems impossible to me it should have a glossy label in the USA. Should have a more paper like label. It is GLOSSY though. I think they might be repro labels. I am curious if he EVER owned the original boards that are claimed to have belonged here as a incentive to his sale, unless that picture's lighting is the culprit, it isn't looking good.

People who buy or collect games need to gain expertise. This cash grab stuff is a real issue because people are not well educated, nor do they educate themselves to these types of points. They spend money blindly and ignorantly and fuck up the market for the rest of us who aren't into gaming because it's 'trendy'. Everyone unloading cash SHOULD know the details of what they are tossing serious cash into. Ebay's so well designed to conceal fraudulent nonsense. I swear to god, I wish they were forced into a IQ test before being allowed to use Ebay. This whole situation has gotten as dirty as some meth deal in a back alley.

Basically SNES has three types of labels.

The first is one that is glossy, like NES carts. You can put rubbing alcohol on them to remove marker or stains and it won't do a thing to them as long as the laminate is there. These ones are always made in Japan iirc and look the best.

Then we have the semi gloss ones, stuff like mega man x3 (made 1997). They can take a little abuse, but liquids should not be used on them if at all as you risk damage. A lot of them show the creashes where it folds at the top due to no lamination. The label still states made in Japan.

then we got the shit majesco type paper labels. These ones get damaged just by touching them. The game states made in Majesco or Mexico.

A good example of games that have both are Super Mario RPG/Mega Man X as they both got reprinted by Majesco. The majesco labels suck ass, as wel as the manuals being black and white.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Semi Gloss and Majesco style labels can be damaged by touch. Killer instinct is a typical game to show the 'white line' To coincide with the crease.. Which with repeatedly and intense handling goes bad. You also cannot remove stickers from them easily or its taking the label right with it. I owned that mega man x reprint. It was printed in mexico and the manual was in black and white. The quality was atrocious.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I just think japan semi-gloss is a little more durable, but if you have dorito hands it really is a moot point. I always make it a point to wash my hands before switching games as getting oil on games isn't good.

I really think its bullshit that all games didn't have glossy labels, with how expensive they were. Just look at Nintendo 64 JP vs English, the japanese ones are all glossy and nice and ours are shit. Everytime I see a name wrote on a non-glossy paper label, it is one more person added to the list who shall feel the wrath of Shao Kahn.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Doesn't that suck the big one? Especially since all legit super famicom titles had them. I think the vastly inferior 50hz PAL even stuck with glossy for the duration. US got cheaped out stuff. Probably at the worst time. N64 labels were trash for US games from the get go. It's ashame really. Rare exceptions would be like Majora's mask. Generally speaking, I agree. I typically use body wash to get marker off of stuff. I HATE how the matte style of snes carts just loves marker.

Last edited:

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Why is it so hard to get Genesis games with good cases? I've been trying to buy cheap games for their cases (so I can replace some crummy ones I have), and every time I buy one, it always ends up looking shittier than the pictures make it out to be.

I just bought an NFL QB Club for 32X, looked fine in the photos, get it in the mail, and I see there's a fuck ton of pockmarks/dimples in the clear plastic that make it look like absolute shit. Hooray for wasting money.