Move to Japan?

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Hey there everyone...

My wife is finishing up a doctoral internship in clinical psychology. Getting to the point where we need to decide where to spend the next phase in our lives. An interesting opportunity came up, and she was told about a position in Japan on a military base.

I wanted to get some feedback from the awesome people here that may have lived there, or perhaps know someone that does live there. This would be a temporary (year or two) position.

My initial thoughts are that it would be an amazing experience. Our two kids would have a great opportunity to experience a different culture first hand.

She can go anywhere in the world that has a US military base, so other opportunities are sure to arise. Japan and Germany are the two in the highest demand right now though.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Depends on the age of your kids, as younger definitely would be easier for this sort of thing, but if it's a good position and you can pay the bills and keep things steady for the fam for a couple years, then I'd say do it.

Work for you will likely be hard. It's very difficult for a non native person, especially if you don't speak Japanese, to find a job, so take that into consideration. I can see the base helping out, though, and I'm sure you could find something to do especially if you're the more entrepreneurial in thinking. Hell, just doing exporting or etc could net a bit of cash on the side to help things out.

So, I'd do it in a second, especially if it was short termed and work was easy to get in a few years somewhere else. I mean, you basically have nothing to lose... And, kids are pretty damn resilient. Especially younger kids, as they can fall into cliques and find new friends pretty easily. Not to mention, they'd have a pretty rad cultural experience to last a life time.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Go for it. My only advice is make sure the base covers your family's needs, i.e. School/Medical/Special Needs/etc. Like Rabbit said, finding work will be tough. Make sure your wife is cool with being the bread winner.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Make sure your wife is cool with being the bread winner.

That's a non-issue. It's understood that with her being a Dr, she'll make more than I do. Even with my MBA...

I am fairly certain the base will provide a certain degree of familiarity in terms of livability. We are both vets, and I've lived in Korea and Kuwaitt. One kid is a teenager, and the other is a 8.

As far as living in Japan goes, I am sure I have some great scenario in mind. I think for a year or two, it would be awesome. Thanks for the input!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I would do it as well. I'd think I'd be a great experience for the entire family. Heck, your income could be supplemented by selling members games at a profit for you but not quite at ebay prices :lolz:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I lived in Japan for 3 years & its one of my fondest memory as a child. Growing up with the 80s anime, arcades, & video game was such a blast. The people were nice too & the 4 seasons was great. We stayed at Camp Zama.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I have to ask this question. I often read good things about Japan and its people but there have been more than just a few times I have read things such as the Japanese being xenophobic to the point of making San Francisco look like Mississippi.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The xenophobia exists, but it manifests itself in different ways and all depends on your perspective. Sometimes a random group of Japanese people will approach you in a park simply because you're foreign, and you'll become best friends. Other times you'll be turned away at a restaurant no reason other than being foreign. If you can take it in stride and laugh at the good and bad of it, you'll be fine. It's never malicious.

I've lived in Japan on and off for a number of years and have always had a great experience; some of my longest lasting friendships are from there. It's not always easy, but knowing it's a short term thing makes it a lot more approachable.

If your kids are up for it, I'd say go for it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sounds like an excellent idea really, your lives with be enriched by this I'm sure.

As a kid I would not have liked it, I didn't like changing states or schools let alone country.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Sounds like an excellent idea really, your lives with be enriched by this I'm sure.

As a kid I would not have liked it, I didn't like changing states or schools let alone country.

Really? i enjoyed going country to country...

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
If you're willing to learn the language a bit, already enjoy some part of Japanese culture, and the kids are onboard then go for it. Just don't go to Akihabara or you'll go crazy in the retro shops :)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I have to ask this question. I often read good things about Japan and its people but there have been more than just a few times I have read things such as the Japanese being xenophobic to the point of making San Francisco look like Mississippi.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Thank you all for the great feedback!

We are involving the kids in the decision. They have known for about a year that we will most likely be moving from Wisconsin once the internship is complete. They are excited about the idea, but we have no first hand experience with living in Japan.

I mostly have youtube videos, and people I've never met in person to help guide this decision. It is not an easy thing to pack up and change countries. However, the more I look into it I am seeing fewer reasons not to go through with the change.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I lived in Japan for years. It's a different place, but it's very clean and safe.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I don't know what type work you do, but I would jump on this in your place. I now telework for my job. So I can live anywhere.

The big factor in my mind is the kids. How willing are they to move and leave their friends behind? Will you go back afterwards? or you're moving regardless. It's just a matter of which country?

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
or you're moving regardless. It's just a matter of which country?

We are moving regardless... We can move to just about anywhere in the US, but the option of Japan was brought up.

My job wouldn't be a barrier to the move.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
What base? Okinawa is a big difference from the mainland.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
DU IT!!!

If the kids are young this is a great opportunity for them to learn the language too!

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
If Okinawa is the only option, does this idea still get the same enthusiastic "DO IT NOW!"?