Move to Japan?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If Okinawa is the only option, does this idea still get the same enthusiastic "DO IT NOW!"?

Not necessarily. Okinawa is 400 miles away from the mainland. Not really easy to just pop on down to the landmarks you might be expecting to. As far as family-wise it really doesn't make any difference but just be aware of the different culture and the distance if you're expecting it to be like central Japan.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Isn't there a dislike from the local Okinawa population of the US military base(s)? I'm certainly no expert, but maybe someone else can chime in with more insight. Or at least maybe read up on the issues before committing to the move.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Isn't there a dislike from the local Okinawa population of the US military base(s)? I'm certainly no expert, but maybe someone else can chime in with more insight. Or at least maybe read up on the issues before committing to the move.

There is dislike, but you generally don't see/hear it until somebody fucks up. For example, you probably don't want to be there right now since a sailor was accused of raping a woman a couple weeks ago. The hate boils over when that shit happens, and understandably so.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If Okinawa is the only option, does this idea still get the same enthusiastic "DO IT NOW!"?

I'm hoping that people are telling you to move for the chance to experience new things, a new culture, food, ect. and not for OMG video games and arcades. If you're thinking of uprooting your family so you can be close to games then you need to stop and examine your life.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I'm hoping that people are telling you to move for the chance to experience new things, a new culture, food, ect. and not for OMG video games and arcades. If you're thinking of uprooting your family so you can be close to games then you need to stop and examine your life.

I certainly hope I am not getting advice based on "OMG video games"... I haven't even considered that to be a possibility.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Would the kids attend an international school free-of-charge?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I certainly hope I am not getting advice based on "OMG video games"... I haven't even considered that to be a possibility.

Judging from a couple of replies in this thread, I'd seriously consider it. Sage has lots of experience living overseas though, so he's going to be a great resource of info for you.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Judging from a couple of replies in this thread, I'd seriously consider it. Sage has lots of experience living overseas though, so he's going to be a great resource of info for you.

Thanks for that.

I appreciate all of the feedback I've received. It's not like I'm going to say, "Hey wife, we're moving because the guys on the Neo Geo forum says do it!". :)

Just one more data point to consider.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I was in Okinawa from 2007 to 2013 (Air Force). Loved all 6 years of it. Also at Yokota near Tokyo for three years. My family preferred Okinawa. Just beautiful and he locals were great. Let me know which base and I can answer most of your questions.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
My understanding is they would attend school on the military base.

That makes a difference. Being the new foreign kid in the traditional school system would be torture for your kids.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

The only advice I have is if they go there earlier to travel, buy a Japan Rail Pass (you can only buy this outside of Japan) for the family so they can save a lot of money using the shinkansen. That shit was dope; go to the train station, tell them I wanna go to Kyoto/Nara/Himeji/Hiroshima/_____, and in five or ten minutes you're on a shinkansen going 300km/hr with some train attendant bowing and speaking to an empty train car except for you and one businessman. Unlimited train rides anywhere (well except for Okinawa - that's a separate pass) for a week.

Other than that China and Japan are apples and oranges. Japan's uptight and has a lot of rules, like taking your trash out only on certain days of the week, giving your landlord a ridiculous amount of money at the end of your lease, etc. Not sure I'd want to live there.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
That is a great idea. I did not know about the rail pass.

We would visit the place before making it official. Thanks for the heads up!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusuku_Sites_and_Related_Properties_of_the_Kingdom_of_Ryukyu

The only UNESCO World Heritage Site in Okinawa, although really it's a collection of nine sites all together. I've never been to Okinawa but I'm big on visiting UNESCO/historical and cultural sites of interest, so looks good to me.

Also now I'm unsure about the Japan Rail Pass being used in Okinawa, as I was thinking of Hokkaido being the one using an alternate Japan Rail Pass. Do your homework, here's a good place to start: http://wikitravel.org/en/Okinawa

Sounds like you guys are going to Okinawa. Fuckin do it man...Wisconsin?...yeah, just go to Okinawa.

Marek

Banned
Interesting to watch this.thread go so well when the "moving to Hawaii" thread majorly crashed and burned.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Interesting to watch this.thread go so well when the "moving to Hawaii" thread majorly crashed and burned.

The main difference being this guy's wife has a career where she can find a job there, and in the other thread Snairdogg/bubu_x/blue steel had (has?) a serious problem with alcoholism, no skill set to find a job in Hawaii and said he was willing to sell coconuts on the street if he had to.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're forgetting pops is a survivor, he can sleep under any bridge no probs and I'd prolly be right next to him passing the joint, couple of indigenous rascals...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I am...the fuck else is in japan anyway.

Pantsu vending machines!

Seriously this is a no brainer go to another country or move to Wisconsin...Not really sure about Okinawa though, my only experience is from the Karate Kid 2. Looks too remote to live in but im sure its better then Wisconsin. The beaches look nice & maybe might run into Kumiko she was so hot.