Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Im so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've never seen a more philosophically thought-provoking sci-fi flick.

Agreed!!! I only hope the sequel holds up the same when it comes out. Best sci fi movie I can think of in the last 15 years. Ex Machina gives me the same vibe in a sense. Fuck the opening is gorgeous, scenery makes me want to see Iceland where they filmed it.

Sleepy Hollow is on Netflix. Remember wanting to see this as a kid. Good old Tim burton and his creepiness ;)

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Sleepy Hollow is on Netflix. Remember wanting to see this as a kid. Good old Tim burton and his creepiness ;)
I watched it last night for the first time since I saw it in theatre and it's still good cheesy fun. Depp's overacting is hilarious.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Woman in Black- the atmosphere is so well done for that horror movie.

Sinister- seen this again.... Fantastic!

Prometheus- such a great movie that deserves all its praise. The people who bashed it cause "they didn't get it" could suck dick.

Im so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've never seen a more philosophically thought-provoking sci-fi flick.

Third…I own Prometheus, it is a beautiful film…and highly enjoyable. Like you two, I'm not sure why people dislike it so much.

…finally…

…FINALLY…

Watched Mad Max on Blu Ray tonight…on the 4K LG 49" set I just picked up today…

God in heaven…such beauty. Not only is the film one of the best put together films I've seen in years, but the colors, the visuals…holy shit, it is all such an amazing package.

FUH-KING-AMAZING…

So much love went into that film…it is a masterpiece...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Mad Max (1979): I was pumped after Fury Road so I go back to watch the originals. Eh, big mistake, I don't like the original at all. I know it is highly regarded but it just seems so tame (vacation trip in the middle of the movie, boring car chases, etc). I am sure it was good back in late 70s but the 90 minutes felt twice as long. I blame today's movies :D
I don't think the original is all that well-regarded. It's Road Warrior that is well-regarded, and that movie still holds up very well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't think the original is all that well-regarded. It's Road Warrior that is well-regarded, and that movie still holds up very well.

I love Mad Max…yeah, its a bit corny at times, but I still love it.

Road Warrior? total classic.

It's Thunderdome that I am not a big fan of...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Mad Max is to Road Warrior what Evil Dead is to Evil Dead II.

The first is great, but made pointless by the sequel which is better in every way.

The one thing that caught me off-guard about Mad Max is the ending which did what Saw would do some 20+ years later.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Racking my brain here. Pls explain :D

it's been some years, but the ending. Max handcuffs one of the bad guys to something. Ther...

FUCK IT i'm just gonna look up the wiki. ok here itis

"In a cold, suppressed rage, Max handcuffs Johnny's ankle to the wrecked vehicle, and sets a crude time-delay fuse involving a slow fuel leak and Johnny's lighter. Throwing Johnny a hacksaw, Max leaves him the choice of sawing through either the handcuffs (which will take ten minutes) or his ankle (which will take five minutes)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max

It did the 'make a hard choice between mutilating yourself and potentially living' thing way before Saw and I'm having a helluva hard time thinking of any other movies doing that. I can just totally imagine the writer of Saw watching Mad Max one night and being inspired by it. i dunno. maybe i'm just retarded but that's how i feel about it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
OIC! Totally forgot that part at the end of Mad Max.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The ending to Mad Max is perfect…and brutal. It perfectly depicts his slip into barbarism.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
It Follows - Interesting take on the puritanical "sex kills" trope of horror movies. The guy who did the music for Fez did the soundtrack which really threw me off at first but was also somehow fitting what with the broken down suburbs of Detroit and the "retro but not quite" look of the clothes and technology. More than anything, it worked for me for the same reason any good horror movie works: you empathize with the victim and want her to win/not die.

Not a masterpiece by any stretch and I likely wouldn't watch it again but I don't feel like it was time wasted.

100proof

10 Year Member
Third? own Prometheus, it is a beautiful film?nd highly enjoyable. Like you two, I'm not sure why people dislike it so much.

I think a lot of it has to do with built-up expectations (Ridley Scott returning to the Alien universe, amazing cast) not being met. I don't outright hate the movie like a lot of the nerd outrage machine that powers the internet seems to but it was disappointing. The totally unnecessary, pandering money shot at the end, how unbelievably stupid they made the space jockey, the majority of the scenes I really liked were just replays of what I love about the original Alien with different actors. It's just yet another unnecessary prequel trying to explain little details from something I love that, in fact, cheapens and demystifies those little details by overexplaining them.

That said, it is very pretty and the first hour is pretty great.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I think a lot of it has to do with built-up expectations (Ridley Scott returning to the Alien universe, amazing cast) not being met. I don't outright hate the movie like a lot of the nerd outrage machine that powers the internet seems to but it was disappointing. The totally unnecessary, pandering money shot at the end, how unbelievably stupid they made the space jockey, the majority of the scenes I really liked were just replays of what I love about the original Alien with different actors. It's just yet another unnecessary prequel trying to explain little details from something I love that, in fact, cheapens and demystifies those little details by overexplaining them.

That said, it is very pretty and the first hour is pretty great.

It's no masterpiece...but I'm ok with that.

With films of this nature (cult following), so many fans will accept nothing less than perfection. If it is less than perfect, they'll label it complete shit. It's like a "0 or 100" thing. No one will accept a 75 or 80.

So many movies are throwaway trash...so one comes along that is really good (like Prometheus), I'm happy with it.

Note I called Prometheus "really good"...which in my world it is. Not perfection, not a masterpiece, not flawless...just really good.

100proof

10 Year Member
Don't agree with your score (which ultimately, who gives a shit) but I agree 100% with your assessment of the hyperbolic nature of dialogue on the internet. It's the reason I don't spend much time debating anything on the internet and one of two reasons I refuse to take part in any social media (the other, of course, being privacy). I mean, things like politics and religion are always emotional but the internet (read: the under-21s who predominantly inhabit it) can't even have a civil conversation about pizza toppings without it turning in to a judgment of a person's character and Hitler being invoked.

Doesn't mean the merit of things can never be debated... it just has to be done with reasonable, semi-intelligent people who can present an argument coherently and not rush to logical fallacies, name calling or accusing you of being some kind of -ist when they're incapable of defending it.

TL;DR: May not agree on Prometheus but yeah, the internet's fucking stupid.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
it's been some years, but the ending. Max handcuffs one of the bad guys to something. Ther...

FUCK IT i'm just gonna look up the wiki. ok here itis

"In a cold, suppressed rage, Max handcuffs Johnny's ankle to the wrecked vehicle, and sets a crude time-delay fuse involving a slow fuel leak and Johnny's lighter. Throwing Johnny a hacksaw, Max leaves him the choice of sawing through either the handcuffs (which will take ten minutes) or his ankle (which will take five minutes)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max

It did the 'make a hard choice between mutilating yourself and potentially living' thing way before Saw and I'm having a helluva hard time thinking of any other movies doing that. I can just totally imagine the writer of Saw watching Mad Max one night and being inspired by it. i dunno. maybe i'm just retarded but that's how i feel about it.

The creators of Saw have openly said they got their ending from Mad Max and one of said creators is a Aussie

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Mad Max is to Road Warrior what Evil Dead is to Evil Dead II.

The first is great, but made pointless by the sequel which is better in every way.
Well, wait a minute. Evil Dead 1 had some nudity in it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Don't agree with your score (which ultimately, who gives a shit) but I agree 100% with your assessment of the hyperbolic nature of dialogue on the internet. It's the reason I don't spend much time debating anything on the internet and one of two reasons I refuse to take part in any social media (the other, of course, being privacy). I mean, things like politics and religion are always emotional but the internet (read: the under-21s who predominantly inhabit it) can't even have a civil conversation about pizza toppings without it turning in to a judgment of a person's character and Hitler being invoked.

Doesn't mean the merit of things can never be debated... it just has to be done with reasonable, semi-intelligent people who can present an argument coherently and not rush to logical fallacies, name calling or accusing you of being some kind of -ist when they're incapable of defending it.

TL;DR: May not agree on Prometheus but yeah, the internet's fucking stupid.

Nazi

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I forced myself to watch Mad Max 2 (after not enjoying the first one very much), and I must say, it is a lot better. Stunts are better, characters are goofier and it is a lot darker.

I finally watched Gravity as well, what an intense film.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Why do Americans seem to like Mad Max? It's an Australian movie, filmed in Australia. Americans aren't generally interested in Australian movies, even if they're good. A notable exception is Crocodile Dundee.
The original is good, but maybe not as good as Road Warrior. It was made on a ridiculously small budget. ($100 Million box office vs. $400,000 budget)

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Americans aren't generally interested in Australian movies, even if they're good.
Same reason Americans aren't interested in Minor League Baseball, even if it's played well. It's still Minor League.

The other thing being, if you just want some random drama, mystery, romantic comedy, or whatever, what do Australians know about that? What can they do better than an American movie would? But when the movie's topic is a bunch of fucking savages living in a desert wasteland, obviously this is a subject Australians have some expertise in.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why do Americans seem to like Mad Max? It's an Australian movie, filmed in Australia. Americans aren't generally interested in Australian movies, even if they're good. A notable exception is Crocodile Dundee.
The original is good, but maybe not as good as Road Warrior. It was made on a ridiculously small budget. ($100 Million box office vs. $400,000 budget)

I'm quite impressed that Americans apparently understand the dialogue in Mad Max. I grew up watching Aussie shows and find it quite challenging at times.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the gasoline and the whole compound and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away..."

You guys think he really wouldn't have killed them all?

I mean I don't think so.

And to just walk away would've meant certain death anyway.