Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Letting the RE movies live in your head rent free is the real problem.

They are the perfect 'they're just movies' movies.

They are bad in a sexy sort of way.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First movie where the guy gets diced up by the laser system straight up ripped the same basic idea from Cube. Best scene in the series and not even original.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I Care A Lot - pitch-black and then some. Rosamund Pike's character was like if you took Amy Dunne and made her even more calculating. Really liked it even if it did manage to stretch suspension of disbelief to the breaking point with some of the characters' choices/actions.

Great film overall. Pike is fantastic as always but I was a little let down by the ending...I thought it was all over too quickly.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Letting the RE movies live in your head rent free is the real problem.

They are the perfect 'they're just movies' movies.

They are bad in a sexy sort of way.

Milla lives rent free wherever she wants.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Love them. Don’t be a faggot, no matter how hard it is here.

It just slipped out. It baffles me how people don't get sick of alice. The final chapter I couldn't even get through.

Afterlife and Retribution were ok for thier video game related characters and enemies but bleh. I hate Mila and I don't find her attractive at all. No homo. Jill, claire and Ada were hot. Why didn't they just kill mila off and center around them? They even had a bunch of mila clones dying left and right.. i enjoyed that. Wish they ended it there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It just slipped out. It baffles me how people don't get sick of alice. The final chapter I couldn't even get through.

Afterlife and Retribution were ok for thier video game related characters and enemies but bleh. I hate Mila and I don't find her attractive at all. No homo. Jill, claire and Ada were hot. Why didn't they just kill mila off and center around them? They even had a bunch of mila clones dying left and right.. i enjoyed that. Wish they ended it there.

2 reasons:
Alice was supposed to be a figure that they could build around without getting stuck to the games, which were sprawling.
Milla was married to the Anderson, the director.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I was okay with the movies deviating.

There was no way 'faithful' adaptations would have satisfied the old me that held those games 'sacred' (more or less).

Current me is glad he didn't go through all the pointless frustration of caring about how they 'mangled' something I thought mattered.

Hollywood doesn't feel the same I do about these things so whatevs.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Initial D live action.

HKAC actors, language, and directing. I struggled for the first 20 mins or so suspending my disbelief.

Seeing Japan for an hour and change brought back some smiles and nostalgia.

Not a terrible movie; not as good as it could’ve been, either. Bunta being abusive and a drunk was lame. Totally unnecessary divergence from the source material there.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Blob 88'- Awesome. Knows it's not a great movie, shit the original is terrible. I dare anyone here to sit through it and tell me it's a classic. The 88' remake isn't The Thing or The Fly level remake, it's simple and fun with some seriously great practical effects and that's all I need..

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The Blob 88'- Awesome. Knows it's not a great movie, shit the original is terrible. I dare anyone here to sit through it and tell me it's a classic. The 88' remake isn't The Thing or The Fly level remake, it's simple and fun with some seriously great practical effects and that's all I need..

Awesome late 80’s horror film! The director’s follow-up to ANOES: Dream Warriors a year earlier. Shawnee Smith was damn cute back then.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
The Blob 88 is awesome and I second Shawnee Smith and I’m not even that big of a horror fan. The OG Blob was filmed in the Philly area and the movie theater the blob oozes out of the Colonial (which is an amazing theater on its own and I’ve gone to 35mm film screenings with Gusmoney there before) does a blob fest every year complete with the scene of people running out of the theater, assorted horror screenings, and vendors. The Downingtown Diner at the end of the ‘58 clip has “blob” items on their menu regularly as well but I agree it’s way dated now.

Here is an article about last years virtual event
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/colonial-theatres-blobfest-2020-goes-digital/ar-BB16rQLI

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Palm Spring

Fun comedy, Groundhog's Day in a wedding setting.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Synchronic
This is by the guys who made The Endless, which I loved.
Synchronic is about a drug that interacts with the pineal gland and allows the user to travel in time (but not really space). Anthony Mackie is a paramedic (I guess since they have a truck full of prescription drugs). He finds that a lot of the calls are connected to the synchronic drug and puts 2 and 2 together to figure out that people are getting hurt or even dying.
Overall, I think this wasn’t as good as The Endless but it might be as good as Spring. I’m not sure. The movie wasn’t as gripping as Endless. I think they nailed the human psychology issues though (loss of a child, loss of family, facing a slow death in a bed, drug abuse. But don’t expect it to beat Endless.

Freaky
Dare I say Vince Vaughan’s magnum opus? That’s not setting the bar high, but he was really good here. The first murder was awesome. Fun movie that blends The Hot Chick, with Halloween.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Perfect Blue
I had never seen a Satoshi Kon movie before, and all I had heard about Perfect Blue was that it was disturbing and long out of print until the recent Blu-ray release. I really loved it, both for the plot / tension, and also for the aesthetics. I loved seeing the Apple computer and other '90s stuff. The idea of the line between fantasy and reality blurring reminded me a lot of Philip K. Dick, who is my favorite writer. I read a bit about Kon's influences after watching, and he did cite Dick as a major one. I'm going to have to watch some of his other stuff.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Guns Akimbo- Saw it mentioned here lately and didn't realize Radcliffe was the star, gave it a shot since he has a penchant for doing oddball indie stuff. It was fun though the spinning camera gimmick got old fast and it ran out of steam at the very end. If you enjoyed Crank 1&2, Shoot em Up, Kick Ass and the parts of Wanted that didn't suck I would recommend it.

Need to watch Freaky. I really enjoyed the 2 Happy Death Day movies so I have some faith even though you know Vince Vaughn but he surprised me in Brawl in Cell Block 99.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Highlander - despite being born in the late 80s this is the first time I've watched the movie. And after the Mortal Kombat nostalgia I decided to check it out because of Lambert. Wow, what a bummer I never got to see this when I was a kid. This movie kicks ass. Lambert's accent is a weird thing but it works and sets it apart. The soundtrack is the real winner of the movie as it makes it seem more 'epic'. Cool to see Scotland as well. And I know it's because I was a few liters in and also cuz I'm a faggot, but the scene where his wife grows old while he doesn't age and she's all 'why did you stay with me' and he's all 'because i love you' got me. "In the years to come, will you light a candle on my birthday" bro

The part of the movie that really kicked things up a notch (skip to 1:08):
Spoiler:

edit: youtube has the movie with only a few ads throughout, according to comments apparently it's the director's cut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtN7yppQzUc

Last edited: