Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I cancelled Netflix like a year ago and replaced it with Hobo Max. Selection is much better and while the UI is garbage, I don't have to turn off some new god-awful autoplay setting every six months.

Saw X in a theater last night. Never been a big fan of Ti West's stuff but I think that had more to do with the genres he had chosen than the actual technical or artistic merits of those movies (I find haunting movies almost universally boring and while I appreciate House of the Devil, I'd never go out of my way to watch it again). Wouldn't say I loved this one either but I definitely dug the vibe and he definitely did dirty redneck murder hobos better than Rob Zombie ever has. Most of the kills were telegraphed in an unsatisfying way and, as fake mentioned, the theme revolving around lost youth isn't particularly subtle (to the point of the main antagonist and protagonist being played by the same person) or fully explored but there's some visceral stuff that's really fun and the T&A doesn't hurt. It's slightly smarter than your average slasher movie without being sanctimonious or preachy and it's fun without being weightless. I'd definitely recommend it to horror movie fans but just don't expect the world.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Poison Ivy (1992)
I was in the mood for some trash while I worked yesterday. This movie is hilariously bad and I hope How Did This Get Made eventually do an episode on it. A poor but edgy teenage Drew Barrymore becomes friends with a socially awkward but rich girl. Barrymore quickly moves into the friend's family's mansion (???) and discovers the TV exec dad is DTF and the mother is an overly dramatic terminal case. Her gears start turning.

There are so many strange choices in this movie. To make a good impression on Barrymore, the friend tells her that she's adopted and that her dad was probably black, which is why she has curly hair. She is clearly Jewish. She then immediately explains how she lives with her birth mother. And then immediately brings Barrymore to her home where she meets her white bio dad and white bio mom.

There are a lot of corny shots or Barrymore replacing the mom and vice versa. A major plot point revolves around Barrymore's 17-year-old melons. Repressed homosexuality makes an appearance for all of three seconds. It's just hilarious. Also, the soundtrack is basically 90 minutes of DX7 noodling and sanitized, off-brand grunge.

Recommended if you want something in the vein of a HDTGM movie.

100proof

10 Year Member
Drew Barrymore's had such a weird career. Child star, barely legal sexpot, romcom queen, mommy blogger/talk show host. And she was totally believable as all of them.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I still can't believe she was married to Tom Green at the what was probably the height of her romcom career.

fake

15 Year Member
Beat Girl
A wannabe beat's rich absentee father brings home his new wife. She's closer in age to the daughter than the father. She rebels by getting deeper into the beat scene while also trying to expose the step-mother for the non-square she really is. Originally rated X for two pasty-covered nips and a solo dry-hump :lolz: Recommended for '50s-era teen angst.

Far from Heaven
I'm halfway through and am about to turn it off. A 1950s housewife discovers her high profile executive husband loves the caulk. She tries to keep up appearances and save the marriage, but the husband has a short fuse and an insatiable lust for D. Super boring, super early 2000s period piece. Not recommended.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Far from Heaven
I'm halfway through and am about to turn it off. A 1950s housewife discovers her high profile executive husband loves the caulk. She tries to keep up appearances and save the marriage, but the husband has a short fuse and an insatiable lust for D. Super boring, super early 2000s period piece. Not recommended.
Yeah, it's not great but It looks really good though. Cinematography, sets, costumes etc. all top notch.

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, it's not great but It looks really good though. Cinematography, sets, costumes etc. all top notch.
I agree on that front. It's a little weird that it's so sharp and colorful, but is set in the '50s – not that it has to be in black and white or anything – there was just a strange disconnect.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Zappa- Doc about Frank Zappa directed by Alex Winter. Very well made and covers his early life, Mothers of Invention days, his solo work, fighting the PMRC and his late life orchestral compositions as well as his family life. I'm not a big fan of his music but I always respected the complexity and subversive nature of his work. Truly as uncompromising an artist as there ever was.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Vamp- 80s Porky's/Bachelor Party style wild night out meets Lost Boys. A group of fraternity pledges head to the big city to try and scrounge up some loose women to take to a frat party and end up in a titty bar run by Grace Jones. Who is apparently some sort of ancient Egyptian vampire deity using the club to trap drunks and weirdos for food. Super fucking 80s, Grace Jones doing her thing (generally being weird as fuck and mostly naked), Billy Drago and his gang of alibino punks running around and a fair amount of T&A and violence.

This really had potential to be amazing but it's awkwardly edited, poorly paced and most of the jokes fall flat. Still pretty entertaining.

Also of note is Andy Warhol and Keith Haring who did costumes, makeup and some sets for Grace Jones. Truly a product of it's time.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Felt nostalgic and curious. Put in Phantom Menace on laserdisc. looks damn good too. Completely forgot about puppet Yoda.
If you delete the JarJar scenes, this movie becomes quite decent. Apparently there are fan edits that do just that. I gotta say though, Natalie Portman is just awful in this movie. I swear I could act with more emotion.

edit : and delete most anakin scenes...

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Felt nostalgic and curious. Put in Phantom Menace on laserdisc. looks damn good too. Completely forgot about puppet Yoda.
If you delete the JarJar scenes, this movie becomes quite decent. Apparently there are fan edits that do just that. I gotta say though, Natalie Portman is just awful in this movie. I swear I could act with more emotion.

I think the inclusion of child Anakin as an actual hero was just a terrible idea.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think the inclusion of child Anakin as an actual hero was just a terrible idea.
Also really dumb to have him be C-3PO's maker. Would've made much more sense if he were just another one of the Queen's droids like R2 if they needed them both in the movie at all.

And what kinda dumbass planet has a 14 year old as its ruler?

100proof

10 Year Member
The list of things wrong with Phantom Menace is voluminous and has been beaten to death but Jar Jar was merely a symptom of a much larger problem (a shit writer surrounded by yes men/women, a director who couldn't direct actors to save his life, late 90s CG wasn't an adequate replacement for characters or sets, filling out the vague backstory of a previously judiciously used villain by making him a whiny 8-year-old is a great way to destroy his mystique).

fake

15 Year Member
I'm not a Star Wars nut or anything, but if they started off the Skywalker saga by having Anakin witness the Empire's brutal killing of his mother and leaving him an orphan or forcing him into servitude...they could've gone from there.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The list of things wrong with Phantom Menace is voluminous and has been beaten to death but Jar Jar was merely a symptom of a much larger problem (a shit writer surrounded by yes men/women, a director who couldn't direct actors to save his life, late 90s CG wasn't an adequate replacement for characters or sets, filling out the vague backstory of a previously judiciously used villain by making him a whiny 8-year-old is a great way to destroy his mystique).

I watched behind the scenes stuff, and you are absolutely right. Lucas would say some absolutely dumb shit, and people would hustle around it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Looks like Bruce Willis really does have dementia. Sad but at least it explains the past few years.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
No one will notice if they replace Flash.
but holy shit, these people are on some good drugs.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bruce's family tries to throw him into some kind of conservatorship. Stop him from making more movies.

100proof

10 Year Member
No one will notice if they replace Flash.
but holy shit, these people are on some good drugs.

Some people can't handle fame and wealth. This kid already had two strikes against they/them because they/them has some other serious mental health stuff going on. They/them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bruce's family tries to throw him into some kind of conservatorship. Stop him from making more movies.

They already announced he's done with acting. Though, if we're being honest, he was done acting like 20 years ago.

fake

15 Year Member
I like his take on Barry in the DCEU, but that actor looks like (and apparently is) a complete dumb fuck douchebag.
I read this guy's wikipedia article when the Snider cut came out and rolled my eyes pretty hard. Not surprised he's a drama queen.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wouldn't surprise me if Bruce's family tries to throw him into some kind of conservatorship. Stop him from making more movies.
Inside word says he's been making all these movies while he has enough of his facilities in check. Make bank and when things get really bad, quietly retire.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I think my last positive impression of Willis in a movie was him showing up as a shock at the end of Split. Glass wasn't a very good ending to that trilogy but it was still cool to see him back in the role so many years after Unbreakable.