Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
My Bloody Valentine- I watched this a few months ago and did not enjoy it very much but was recently informed that was the highly censored theatrical cut. So I gave the unrated version a watch last night. The gore (some of which was excellent) did manage to improve the movie quite a bit.

It wasn't a revelation or anything but it helped. It's still a standard slasher, the characters are still awful and there's no nudity. It did however make it extremely satisfying to see all the horrible characters get brutally killed. Goddamn are they annoying though, like some hybrid of the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Cotter and the guys from The Deer Hunter. Just a weird choice. I am not a fan of 80s party animal shenanigans and that's a huge chunk of the movie.

In the movie's defense, it's Canadian. Very very Canadian. I quite enjoyed it myself, but plot and chararcter-wise, it's a departure from the popular American slashers of the era.

Edit: in the prof's defense, the page hadn't been f5'd when he began typing his response, and thus, wyo's post stating the exact same fucking thing was not yet visible.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Edit: in the prof's defense, the page hadn't been f5'd when he began typing his response, and thus, wyo's post stating the exact same fucking thing was not yet visible.
I had that happen when Rot said the next person who posts is a Warroom Troll.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Black Christmas- I decided to double down on the Canadian slashers. This one is solid, it's pretty well made overall. It's also an early one from 1974 so it establishes a lot of stuff that would become standard for the genre. It's pretty tame but again it's an early one and it balances that with actual suspense, the phone calls are legit creepy. Some solid performances, though I'm not exactly sure how much Margot Kidder is actually acting lol. There's also a bit of humor although it's a bit dated. Overall a solid and influential early entry to the genre.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Three Thousand Years of Longing- I wasn't sure what to expect with this one but I trust George Miller and he didn't disappoint. It is essentially a love story but it's also a story about the timelessness of stories. The closest things I can think of that I can compare it to are The Fall and Baron Munchausen. It's essentially a fairy tale. It weaves through fanatical history in a surreal and beautifully dreamlike way. The performances are strong, it's visually stunning and it's paced well. It does lose momentum and step away from the fantastical elements in the final act but it kind of has to in order to wrap up the story. Overall I really enjoyed it, it's definitely unique.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yes Madam!- Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock team up for classic 80s HK action mayhem. Lot's of fighting, lame comedy and questionable fashion. Obviously the fight scenes are incredible.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
A Clockwork Orange- A true masterpiece. Timeless. This easily could be laughably dated but the social/political commentary and the visuals/asthetic are so well done that it's hardly aged a day. Same for the soundtrack, it's perfect. Malcolm McDowell is the embodiment of Alex and turns in a career best performance that I don't think any other actor could have pulled off. Aside from being a masterful social commentary, a shocking and fully realized vision of violence and twisted morality run amok it's also wickedly funny. On top of all that it's definitely one of the best book to film adaptations ever realized. Easily one of Kubrick's best.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
I still think Clockwork Orange is without a shadow of a doubt Stanley Kubrick’s best movie. The acting in it is top notch.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Honestly it's hard to choose.

Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon

All amazing and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between those four. Even his lesser pieces are great in their own ways.

The only actual bad one imo is Eyes Wide Shut and even that has it's moments.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon

All amazing and I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite between those four. Even his lesser pieces are great in their own ways.

Oh man. Eyes Wide Shut is amazing. Probably his biggest effort into subliminal messaging.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh man. Eyes Wide Shut is amazing. Probably his biggest effort into subliminal messaging.
That's great and all but the intimate scenes with Cruise and Kidman just kill everything else the movie has going for it. Like I said, it has it's moments but overall just not feeling a lot of it.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Dr. Strangelove
The Shining
Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon

I've actually grown to like Eyes Wide Shut over time but yeah, while it has some incredible detail and big balled filmmaking in it (not unlike Orange and others), the Cruise/Kidman scenes are so unbelievably awkward. It's weird that a married couple/two totally straight people had zero chemistry. /s

I've watched Barry Lyndon twice and while the sets and costumes are impeccable and the attention to detail is amazing, the story itself always eft me kind of cold and disinterested. I remember saying that on a forum back in the late 90s and there was a dude who was so unbelievably offended by that and called me a piece of shit. That's when I realized that Kubrick fans are like Lynch fans: fucking weirdos best left alone.

Samson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Noob of the Year
Eden Lake (2008) - Saw this movie recently since you can watch it for free on YouTube. It has Kelly Reily and Michael Fassbender in it as a couple who get stalked by a group of teenagers while visiting a secluded beach. The movie has a lot of suspenseful moments in it that is helped out by a good soundtrack done by The Descent composer David Julyan. The acting can be both good and bad in several scenes which kind of downs the movie a little. I won’t spoil anything, but the movie is most infamous for its ending, which will either leave you shocked, angry, confused, or all three. Its a decent movie, but it’s not really something to write home about.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Our annual Memorial Day movie marathon was today. We invite a group of friends, watch four movies back-to-back (with smoke/bathroom breaks in between) and serve booze/snacks and cater dinner. The wife and I have been doing it for 16 years now. Anyway, this year we did Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon (each movie is 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon away from the previous movie).

Tremors - Started off with one of my all-time favorites. Not a whole lot to add but this is almost the perfect monster movie. It's not overly scary so it can be shown to almost anyone. It sets up the cast so well by giving each of them little scenes early on that tell you all you need to know about them. Also sets up the monsters perfectly by slowly drip-feeding the audience information without giving away too much. Slow escalation of stakes, likeable characters, some great lines... just goes down smooth and easy. A couple of people in our group complained about the practical fx but that shit is cash.

A couple of the sequels are okay but most of them are direct-to-video crapola (I stopped watching after 4, I think?). A shame, really.

Snatch - Pretty sure I've mentioned this one multiple times here. It's my favorite of the Guy Ritchie gangster movies, largely for the quippy dialogue and the great minor characters. All kinds of ugly Brits and weird character actors that they'd never let within 10 feet of a Hollywood production otherwise. Some of the stylistic choices are very much of their time (all of the music video angles and screen cutting) and I appreciate that these movies aren't for everyone but I'll quote this movie til the day I die.

Let It Ride - I always try to include at least one oddball (usually it's an old movie or a disgusting horror movie to piss off our friends) but I decided to take it easy this year and show something that's close to my heart. Let It Ride is a weird little black comedy from the late 80s about a degenerate gambler (Richard Dreyfuss) who has a very lucky day. It's the kind of movie that would NEVER see the light of day in theaters these days. It's a small stakes story with a lot of odd humor and the women in it are all shrews or sexpots. It's not a great movie by any stretch... the music is 80s as shit and kind of out of place, the jokes whiff frequently and Richard Dreyfuss's main character is strangely hateable. That said, there's still a lot of little things I like. The weirdos and misfits he hangs out with. The bizarre fourth-wall break towards the end of the movie. Robbie Coltrane's disgruntled ticket agent that goes from hating Trotter to rooting for him by the end. The way they portray the rich cunts in the jockey club.

So this movie's close to my heart for two reasons: the first is that Jennifer Tilly in her skin-tight dress was one of those formative moments of being young and realizing I was straight and liked boobs. The second is that not long after seeing the movie (this would've been like '92/'93), my grandfather invited my family on to the set of a Civil War documentary he was filming and Richard Dreyfuss happened to be there doing prep work for something he was working on. Anyway, we were introduced and I told him how much I liked Let It Ride. Not Jaws. Not Close Encounters. Not even What About Bob. Fucking Let It Ride. Needless to say, he gave me a weird/puzzled look, thanked me and went on about his day.

The Mist - Hadn't seen it since watching it in black and white when the DVD came out (after seeing it in the theaters). The movie that makes my wife actively angry when people bring it up so I figured we'd watch this last to leave everyone on a giant fuck you. The CG did not age well and the "humans are the real monster" stuff that the movie relies heavily on seemed much more ham-fisted this time around. That said, Marcia Gay Harden is still a great hateable cunt, the pharmacy sequence is still pretty good and there's some touuuugh gore shots along the way. And of course there's that ending. Woof. Not nearly as impactful when you know it's coming (obviously) but still a bold choice all these years later.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
it was his first movie I believe, cut him some slack
An early classic, but he did a couple before that. As far as I know, his first feature was Fear and Desire which was a war movie. Haven't seen it since the vhs days, and if I recall, it wasn't great. But he also did another one about a down and out boxer in that corrupt world called Killer's Kiss before The Killing that was pretty good, if a bit melodramatic.

But at the end of the day, while his early work is all worth watching, I don't think he really became Kubrick the legend, until Dr Strangelove. Gun to my head, Barry Lyndon is my favorite, but that's subject to change at my whim. And I know that's a somewhat divisive choice, but I've been enchanted by it since I was a kid. Haha