Movies you love who's genre you don't

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Had a thought the other day. I've seen plenty of recommend me a movie thread. I wouldn't mind seeing how much of a difference recommendations would be if you aren't a fan of the particular genre a movie came from.

As for me I get bored easily with westerns, however every time Once upon a Time in the West comes on I can't help but watch the whole thing. Jason Robards and Charles Bronson were amazing in it. Considering I've never been a fan of Bronson that says a lot.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I quite enjoy Cannibal The Musical & South Park The Movie. But musicals other than those two can fuck right off.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Hmm... The Searchers and High Noon for westerns. Apocalypse Now for war movies.

Edit:
The first two Hunger Games for YA movies.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
not a fan of zombie movies but i really liked world war z.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Not a fan of Will Ferrell movies but Step Brothers is good.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I hate Leonardi Di Caprio...

But I liked Shutter Island... because the fucker gets lobotomized at the end of it...

xROTx

PS. Not a Genre... I am just venting...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not really big on westerns but Unforgiven is an amazing movie.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm not really big on westerns but Unforgiven is an amazing movie.

I love Westerns GohanSex...

OK OK... I detest rom coms... but I enjoyed... Definitely Maybe...

HAPPY NOW MOFOS!

xROTx

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Never cared for Matt Damon but i love Rounders! I also enjoyed some Tyler Perry movies :lolz:

I love watching all genres, its certain actors/actress/directors i usually just avoid watching.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Never cared for Matt Damon but i love Rounders! I also enjoyed some Tyler Perry movies :lolz:

I love watching all genres, its certain actors/actress/directors i usually just avoid watching.

I'm pretty sure "Tyler Perry movies" is a genre.

Also, put me down for not liking musicals with the exception of the South Park Movie and maybe that Muppet movie with How-I-Met-Your-Mother-Guy.

fake

15 Year Member
I hate Leonardi Di Caprio...

But I liked Shutter Island... because the fucker gets lobotomized at the end of it...

xROTx

PS. Not a Genre... I am just venting...

My friend and I drove by a decommissioned mental hospital over the weekend. We were reading about the buildings and apparently they were the original filming on-location sets for Shutter Island. But the nearby buildings were being torn down at the same time, and they didn't want to shift the production schedule, so they moved the locations to elsewhere in MA.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I don't like superhero movies except for Batman.

PS. Actors are not genres.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not a movie, but the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In general I cannot stand musicals, but the Buffy musical is so good.

Joss Whedon wrote all the songs and composed them himself, despite never before having tried to create music of any kind. And all the actors actually did their own singing. Some are naturally great singers but others, including lead actress Sarah Michelle Gellar, had to take on weeks of voice training and spend days in the studio to get it right.

And it really fits into the narrative theme of the season. It comes at a point in the show where all the main characters are fucked up and not dealing with their issues. Then a singing demon shows up and forces them all to sing their darkest secrets out loud, then the characters all have to deal with the shit they'd been hiding from each other.

fake

15 Year Member
Not a movie, but the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In general I cannot stand musicals, but the Buffy musical is so good.

Joss Whedon wrote all the songs and composed them himself, despite never before having tried to create music of any kind. And all the actors actually did their own singing. Some are naturally great singers but others, including lead actress Sarah Michelle Gellar, had to take on weeks of voice training and spend days in the studio to get it right.

And it really fits into the narrative theme of the season. It comes at a point in the show where all the main characters are fucked up and not dealing with their issues. Then a singing demon shows up and forces them all to sing their darkest secrets out loud, then the characters all have to deal with the shit they'd been hiding from each other.

Joss Whedon is mostly terrible, IMO. Toy Story, Cabin in the Woods, Avengers, and Winter Soldier are the only things I like from him. The rest of his stuff is either churned out BS or stuff that appeals to aspy people - Buffy, Firefly, etc. He seems like a loser, too. He rage quits the Internet every few years.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I don’t like gangster/Mafia films... if you need to involve chainsaws in a coke deal you’re doing it wrong. But Goodfellas is absolutely legendary.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Joss Whedon is mostly terrible, IMO. Toy Story, Cabin in the Woods, Avengers, and Winter Soldier are the only things I like from him. The rest of his stuff is either churned out BS or stuff that appeals to aspy people - Buffy, Firefly, etc. He seems like a loser, too. He rage quits the Internet every few years.

Buffy is in my opinion the best show in its broad genre (horror/science fiction/super hero/fantasy). I could leave or take pretty much all the rest of the stuff Whedon did, but Buffy hits every note that it attempts to.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Documentaries are, well, a genre I try to avoid hard, but I'll never forget Soul in the Hole. Maybe it was this perfect setting I had, when I watched it: a small cinema near Zülpicher square, which no longer exists, the smell of summer, the one you get after it rained, while the sun was shining -- and nice company, of course. The seats had that worn out quality, one that makes them much more comfortable in my memory, than they actually were. Anyway, it's hard to let go of things like that, so I guess, I understand the kid the film was all about a bit better now... I never watched it again, though.

Oh yeah, Biopics, I feel the same way about and there was no perfect setting ever, to make me feel better while watching them. Savage Messiah changed all that. Not for long, still, I enjoyed this exception to the rule.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I don't like sports movies except Raging Bull.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Rollerball,not a fan of sports movies in general but i can all ways watch this one.