Moving Is Going To Be Insane.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
People going to garage sales expect a deal. I went to a few with game collections, and they were asking ebay prices. It wasn't worth the trip.

That is what I used to think. But I price mine with near ebay prices (Actually higher on the lower end, cheaper on the higher end) and I sell shit. I've had dealers/resellers drive 1-3 hours and drop $500. I've had collectors glad to not have to buy shit on ebay.

Personally, I think the prices I charge are too high.... But I sell the shit. Sold 33 out of 34 systems at my sale last month.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Your collection of greatest hits games still retailing NIB for $10?

That will actually sell easily. One thing that blows my mind is that Wii Sports goes for $30+ on Ebay (or at least it was the last time I checked).

But you are right though, Lots of "Collections" are worthless. There is still a good market for video games. The only thing that can't be moved are the crap wii accessories (guns, sports dildoes, balance beams) and driving controls.

It is crazy when I go to an estate sale and see a collection of matchbooks/spoons/thimbles that someone has taken a lifetime to put together and the stuff just sits there because nobody wants it.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Banana boxes from the supermarket are a packing/moving secret weapon.
I really don't care for them.... I only put stereo equipment in them.

Uhaul makes about the best line of cheap boxes. They also have a section where people leave thier old boxes and you can take them.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
We received an offer on our house Halloween of 2018, they wanted to close at the end of Nov...so we too had one month to get out.

Having lived there for 14 years, we amassed a ton of shit, so it too was no east task. One thing that I landed up doing was renting a storage unit and putting collectables in large plastic totes, making a run to storage every few days. I'm not sure how far you're moving, but this worked for us pretty well.

most of my collection actively LIVES on plastic totes. This thread is why I don't bother collecting anything beyond videogame consoles and flashcarts/odes. It's already hell as is to manage it... I'll concede for 1 (one) arcade cab someday though.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
most of my collection actively LIVES on plastic totes. This thread is why I don't bother collecting anything beyond videogame consoles and flashcarts/odes. It's already hell as is to manage it... I'll concede for 1 (one) arcade cab someday though.
One cab turns into many, watch out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think it would be cool to have a mini cab that has Pandora's Box.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Throw away anything you haven't used in the past year. There's so much junk that "might be fun" once in a while, but it rarely justifies the space it takes up.

Also - think about the space it takes up before you buy it. It's not a "good deal" if you never use it, even if it's free.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Most “collections” are garbage. Period.

None are financial investments. That’s absolutely ludicrous.

No one wants your cum stained big tit anime statue collection.

I recommend throwing away the things that don’t truly have value. But your Nintendo Wii Waggle Control Shovelware collection? Yes, throw it away. No one will lament its loss. Your collection of greatest hits games still retailing NIB for $10? Throw it away.

Same goes for household stuff - if you have a dozen pans, a dozen pots, get rid od then. You simply don’t need that many u less you’re a prolific cook.

We tend to acquire garbage.

Purge it.
Yeah. People really do need to start having the mentality that a large percentage of the stuff they own is junk. I'm not talking about throwing nice high end collectables in the trash but hobbies tend to accumulate a lot of extra shit. About a year ago I chucked so much stuff that was sitting around and 90% of it was stuff like old controllers, cords, packaging, figures and models that were broken or just not worth displaying. Lots of old electronics that went to the recycling center.

If it's not worth selling and nobody you know wants it then throw it away.

Edit: I wouldn't go quite as extreme as Duf said above but close.
If we are talking about of games or peripherals that you just can't sell, then I think like Terry: if one has at home a DualShock controller broken in half for who knows what reason or even of the games that are more common than coasters, but that really nobody wants anymore (like the old chapters of the 'NHL' series or even 'NBA 2K' for example), then I understand your speech, but if instead you have the first 'Metal Slug' in AES format, because you bought it in Osaka during the vacations of '96, it would be silly to give up thousands of dollars just out of laziness.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No one is suggesting throwing away Neo stuff. But most people’s “collections” are hardly museum grade or of significant value.

If I had MS1 on home art I’d sell it, buy the game on MVS, and use the cash remaining to buy real estate.

Last edited:

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
No one is suggesting throwing away Neo stuff. But most people’s “collections” are hardly museum grade or of significant value.

If I had MS1 on home art I’d sell it, buy the game on MVS, and use the cash remaining to buy real estate.
Perfect, now we have finally solved every doubt about it: I've recommended caution, because many people who pulled their plug on the video game world decades ago, don't realize the value of their items.

I'll tell you this true story:
Once a guy was emptying his attic and had found some Snes games he had bought at the time and among them there was also 'Hagane' in Pal version: not knowing what to do with it he wanted to throw it away, but then he preferred to give it to a friend of his and this original owner never knew that he had lost forever several hundred dollars.

How about NCAA College Basketball 2K3 for the Gamecube?
I don't know if my comment offended you because you are a fan of this series, but in any case it was not my intention.

However, the high prices of the used market essentially depend on two factors: quantity and demand.

Games like the aforementioned 'NHL' and 'NBA 2K' sell several million copies every year and also have an audience not very interested in the integral preservation of past titles, for all these reasons, the games of these series sometimes in the used market they don't even cost two dollars, while for the 'NCAA College Basketball 2K3' you mentioned, there is to say that Sega and Nintendo for the GameCube version have printed very few copies and that is why it costs so much, because with such a scarce availability, it will not never be possible satisfy all the possible collectors eager to get this game.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Honestly I play my games. And for me it was never about it being an investment or anything of that nature. It's more that its worth more to me personally than me being worried about monetary value. I really enjoy games and it's my main hobby. Definitely not a shelf queen. There is something special about holding and playing original hardware and software and keeping it functional that I find special. It's taken over 15 years to replace stuff and there is still a few items that have just become so expensive that I'll never buy it again. It's hard to explain to someone what it's like to lose everything you own. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My collection is pretty much where I want it at this point and I wont be selling or trashing it. But I'm definitely not excited to move it. Mostly because of possibly damaging something and having to re-organize stuff. Classic gaming really is a big passion for me. It's what brought me to this awesome community years ago. I know a lot of gents are burned out on the hobby and I understand but I feel like as the years go on I only get fonder of it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Games like the aforementioned 'NHL' and 'NBA 2K' sell several million copies every year and also have an audience not very interested in the integral preservation of past titles, for all these reasons, the games of these series sometimes in the used market they don't even cost two dollars, while the 'NCAA College Basketball 2K3' you mentioned, there is to say that Sega and Nintendo for the GameCube version have printed very few copies and that is why it costs so much, because with such a scarce availability, it will not never be possible satisfy all the possible collectors eager to get this game.

Yes, I understand. I actually think that the numbered sports titles are vastly underpriced... Not as video games but as sports collectables.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Just leave stuff behind you don't want to move. Always have done it, never been an issue.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Just leave stuff behind you don't want to move. Always have done it, never been an issue.
Sure it's fine for you but that doesn't mean whoever moves in next is happy with your left over shit.

The guy that lived here before me left about 12 full sets of shelves, a huge old treadmill and a shit ton of paint cans and none of that stuff could just go out to the curb and nobody I knew wanted shelves or a giant treadmill so I had to pay for someone to come and dispose of all of it. Not cool.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Honestly I play my games. And for me it was never about it being an investment or anything of that nature. It's more that its worth more to me personally than me being worried about monetary value. I really enjoy games and it's my main hobby. Definitely not a shelf queen. There is something special about holding and playing original hardware and software and keeping it functional that I find special. It's taken over 15 years to replace stuff and there is still a few items that have just become so expensive that I'll never buy it again. It's hard to explain to someone what it's like to lose everything you own. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My collection is pretty much where I want it at this point and I wont be selling or trashing it. But I'm definitely not excited to move it. Mostly because of possibly damaging something and having to re-organize stuff. Classic gaming really is a big passion for me. It's what brought me to this awesome community years ago. I know a lot of gents are burned out on the hobby and I understand but I feel like as the years go on I only get fonder of it.
Fair enough, much respect.

My advice then would be to avoid buying cardboard boxes, and spend a few dollars more to get the 30 gallon plastic totes from Home Depot. I invested in these before my last move, and whereas cardboard would have been one and dumped, these things continue to find uses around my house. Not to mention the stackability, waterproof, and crush proof security they provide for the stuff you want to keep.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sure it's fine for you but that doesn't mean whoever moves in next is happy with your left over shit.

The guy that lived here before me left about 12 full sets of shelves, a huge old treadmill and a shit ton of paint cans and none of that stuff could just go out to the curb and nobody I knew wanted shelves or a giant treadmill so I had to pay for someone to come and dispose of all of it. Not cool.

Sounds like it wasn't much of an issue for the guy :D

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Fair enough, much respect.

My advice then would be to avoid buying cardboard boxes, and spend a few dollars more to get the 30 gallon plastic totes from Home Depot. I invested in these before my last move, and whereas cardboard would have been one and dumped, these things continue to find uses around my house. Not to mention the stackability, waterproof, and crush proof security they provide for the stuff you want to keep.

Maybe for bulky items. But there’s no way I’m easily moving 30 gallons of books.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Yeah, our sellers left a bunch of random junk in the house, and I had to rent a moving truck to haul it all to the dump. Sellers get away with it, but in the US there is the final walkthrough with the realtor before signing, and it's generally bad form to leave behind a bunch of shit. It's probably possible to at least delay the sale because of it if the buyer wants to make a stink.

Thanks for clarifying. It sounded to me like maybe you were suggesting that. MS1 is an extreme example. I guess when we talk collections on this forum I assume some decent arcade cabs and boards, or perhaps Saturn or PC Engine collections.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, our sellers left a bunch of random junk in the house, and I had to rent a moving truck to haul it all to the dump. Sellers get away with it, but in the US there is the final walkthrough with the realtor before signing, and it's generally bad form to leave behind a bunch of shit. It's probably possible to at least delay the sale because of it if the buyer wants to make a stink.
Thanks for clarifying. It sounded to me like maybe you were suggesting that. MS1 is an extreme example. I guess when we talk collections on this forum I assume some decent arcade cabs and boards, or perhaps Saturn or PC Engine collections.

We have far more slobs here than big tymers.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Less than a month? Are you working during that time? If yes, time will fly, I can tell you that.

I just went through the whole process myself. Never again. I've been unloading stuff ever since.

One very important thing, don't waste any time, thinking you have enough left to watch TV, play some games or browse the forums. Give yourself at least an extra week to deal with the unforeseen stuff.
I'm in the process of moving right now, and fortunate I'm not working. I kept putting it off until four days before, because I thought I didn't really have a lot of stuff. And, I don't. But holy shit. Spent an entire day just getting everything into boxes. Getting dust off of shit before putting it in a box, etc. Man. I'm glad I had this thread exist for you chumps to give me some advice. Otherwise I'd be super fucked doing it all the day before because I am borderline retarded.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yes, I understand. I actually think that the numbered sports titles are vastly underpriced... Not as video games but as sports collectables.
Unfortunately, this is the price companies pay for trying to satisfy the average consumer at all costs.

The Realistic sports simulators have a number of problems that make these type of games age very prematurely:
  • They usually don't have a plot: so the fiction never leaves the screen, to remain inside the players' heads even after they have stopped playing, moreover, for this same reason, the atmosphere and the settings never change, because the protagonist teams and the most famous stadiums are always the same in the end.
  • The characters although based on real people, within the fiction they have a practically non-existent personality and in fact sometimes, for obvious technical reasons do not even have their own personal voice actor: nor do they have dialogues or lines that then remain within of the popular culture. For example, if to a person who has played 'Metal Gear Solid' I say 'Kept you waiting, huh?', he understands immediately what I'm referring to.

• Some sports simulators I've seen didn't even have soundtracks: there was just the buzz of the audience and the talk of the commentators.
  • There is then the conclusive problem that being of the titles based on a sport game really existing, the playability of base never changes: there will not be therefore never a net detachment as between 'KOF '95' (which is based on the blows launched on the medium/long distance) and 'KOF '98' (which has been predisposed for close combat based on combinations).

The only thing that changes between one chapter and another of a realistic sports series is only the graphical improvement and the replacement of players, which can still be reproduced through customizations and the acquisition of official licenses by the company itself: for this reason people have no collectible interest for this type of games.

Last edited: