My trip and observations from japan.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
This place is worlds apart from North America

Here are a few of my observations.

Food: The portions here are much smaller but also healthier for you as they try and balance out meat, carbs and vegetables. Not in every meal, but certainly many of them.

Taxes: The tax is only 5 percent, in Canada it is 13 percent, this gives people more money for purchases and keeps more money in people’s pockets. This allows more spending to take place and gives people reward for their work encouraging a better structured economy and social system.

Transit and driving: This is killer, 1.30 to enter a station and I believe it is 30 cents per station traveled. Can get very expensive if you are traveling a lot. Also can be confusing at times, I still haven’t figured everything out.

The people themselves: The business men all wear the same pants and white striped shirts; they are like drones going back and forth to work every day. The students all wear all the same uniforms, for the most part anyways. The women dress like women, the guys ether dress for business, or like cloud from final fantasy 7, sometimes they combine the two. Well that’s not completely true, some dress rather normal, some dress hiphoppy and there is some American influence here.

Technology: For all the technology that we see on TV that comes out of Japan, people sure don’t seem to embrace it. Sure their toilets can shoot water up your anus, but 90 percent of the bikes being used are from the 80's and most are rusted to shit. Their phones aren’t much better ether, they can watch TV on the train, but as for the phones themselves, they kind of suck, and have a very limited selection. Everybody seems to have the same phone.

Rents and cost of living: Its actually quite a bit cheaper on many day to day items as well as the rent here, electronics is however more expensive, as well as many entertainment items. Essentially since there is more money here, and much more integration, people will pay more for items that are in demand, and the prices clearly reflect this.

Money: Everything is currency here, and there doesnt seem to be much fraud. Perhaps a business opportunity for anybody already making the stuff.

The focus for business is profit, plain and simple, food is probably around the same price but the portions are smaller allowing greater profit to be made over many servings, transit is much more expensive as well as taxis. The people seem to make decent money here, and they spend it equally well. American business could take a lesson or two from how things are run here.

How business is organized: Sections are reserved for certain types of stores; this creates attention and brings a reputation to the area increasing the overall business done in the area.

How society treats the homeless: It seems that in Japan, respect/money has to be earned and the homeless here have it a lot worse than they do in North America. They seem to be more instable mentally, they seem to be much dirtier and lack any means of asking for money like they have given up.

The women over here: There are some really amazing looking women over here, there are some real scary ones too but all of them seem fairly sheltered and taken care of, can’t really say the same for the guys though and the physical aspect of taking care of oneself is usually replaced with items that hide it. Glasses, hair, cool looking cloths etc. The guys here have it much worse than the women, at least in terms of physical qualities.

How information is organized in the minds of the people living here:

Basically it boils down to quality over quantity, and takes the focus of money and puts it on the experience and trying to perfect things. Get the experience right and the money will come. In North America, money is the first thing that is valued, and with it, people will buy the best things, two different ways of obtaining the same thing. This is also why North America is in a financial rut, fix how information is processed, change our priorities and things will change on a grand scale, in my opinion, Japan has got it right, and I can’t honestly tell that there was even a recession over here. People spend money like crazy

And what the hell is with pachinko, the game is retarded in my opinion. They are everywhere and popular as hell.

Last edited:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
In regards to the train fares. Commuters just buy monthly passes. Most tourists buy the very reasonable Rail Pass. Everyone else generally doesn't use the train every day.

And "Sections are reserved for types of stores" What the fuck are you smoking? Japan has almost zero real zoning laws at all. My town has an old Shinto Shrine next to a 7-11, which is next to a rice field. What's next? A giant 6 story shopping plaza! And I've seen this everywhere. Sure Tokyo has the "buisness, pleasure, shopping" districts, but it's just like any other city really.

Last edited:

wizkid007

20 Year Member
In regards to the train fares. Commuters just buy monthly passes. Most tourists buy the very reasonable Rail Pass. Everyone else generally doesn't use the train every day.

The rail pass is only good if you are traveling all over japan, I however was not. And the monthly pass is usually between two set points. Go over that, and you have to pay extra.

And "Sections are reserved for types of stores" What the fuck are you smoking? Japan has almost zero real zoning laws at all. My town has an old Shinto Shrine next to a 7-11, which is next to a rice field. What's next? A giant 6 story shopping plaza! And I've seen this everywhere. Sure Tokyo has the "buisness, pleasure, shopping" districts, but it's just like any other city really.

Ive been here for 3 weeks, chill man. Tokyo is huge, and I have only explored a very little of it.

Why are you taking offence anyways? Jesus christ.

Last edited:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
True, but most buisnesses pay for their employees' commuter passes. I often use mine on my days off, and then pay the few extra dollars difference as they are completely unlimited in usage.

If you go from Tokyo to Osaka even once, the Rail Pass is quite fair.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
True, but most buisnesses pay for their employees' commuter passes. I often use mine on my days off, and then pay the few extra dollars difference as they are completely unlimited in usage.

If you go from Tokyo to Osaka even once, the Rail Pass is quite fair.

Oh I totally agree, the shinkensen is expensive for a reason and if I was traveling outside of tokyo once, then I would have bought one for sure.

I go back home tomorrow, kind of miss home but I really love aspects of this place. It will be missed.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I'm not angry, just amused. I've been here years and still get shocked by the weirdness of their buisness plans. I've seen the same building get opened and closed as 5 different restaurants in less then a year. Recently I saw a perfectly good parking lot get bulldozed, to build a new parking lot.

Most people that first experience Japan tend to think it's a well oiled machine, but after time you realize it's a lot of poor planning, and totally random decisions. Your right about the money though, the typical buisness policy here is "Throw money in the hole until it's filled."

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
I heard (from my japanese-american friend that used to live in japan) that working in a store or something like that was rough, since they have to treat the customers like god and pretty much everything you have to say to the customer and what not it is memorized. Should the customer ask about something that is not in the handbook, you gotta go ask the boss to handle it.You have to always smile and be really nice even though the customer is being such an ass.

What's good is that they really REALLY try hard to sell products and what not, so yeah, they're good workers. What's not so good is that they can't or seemingly not supposed to think outside the box. Memorization is good but not THAT good.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
And what the hell is with pachinko, the game is retarded in my opinion. They are everywhere and popular as hell.

I think poker and one-armed bandits are retarded too, but you can't keep homo sapiens away from their gambling. God rested on the 7th day in order to hit the blackjack parlors. I know I will never step into a gambling establishment 'cos 1. The games don't interest me 2. I easily blow 20,000 in 1 hour on simulated computer card games.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think poker and one-armed bandits are retarded too, but you can't keep homo sapiens away from their gambling. God rested on the 7th day in order to hit the blackjack parlors. I know I will never step into a gambling establishment 'cos 1. The games don't interest me 2. I easily blow 20,000 in 1 hour on simulated computer card games.

With card games and other games of chance based on workable odds (so, not slot machines, Keno, and the like) the games truly don't come in to their own until you actually play with real money.

At least thats what gamblers will tell you or fans of the games. The games are boring and dull when nothing for stake.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I'm not angry, just amused. I've been here years and still get shocked by the weirdness of their buisness plans. I've seen the same building get opened and closed as 5 different restaurants in less then a year. Recently I saw a perfectly good parking lot get bulldozed, to build a new parking lot.

Most people that first experience Japan tend to think it's a well oiled machine, but after time you realize it's a lot of poor planning, and totally random decisions. Your right about the money though, the typical buisness policy here is "Throw money in the hole until it's filled."

I always wonder who signs off the loans for those businesses that are guaranteed to fail.