N64 Games Hacked To Remove Blurry Graphics Via Action Replay Or Flash Carts

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
This was posted on Sega-16 and I feel this is just too damn important to not let some of you guys know about this. Special thanks to Barone @ Sega-16 for finding this.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/ni...cs-via-action-replay-or-flash-cartridges.html

http://n64.poregon.com/shared/

It seems Nintendo really overdid it on the AA to the point that some games actually get an increased FPS rate when that blurry shit is turned off. I can't believe how much detail was covered up by Nintendo's overkill on the AA in some of their games.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It seems Nintendo really overdid it on the AA to the point that some games actually get an increased FPS rate when that blurry shit is turned off. I can't believe how much detail was covered up by Nintendo's overkill on the AA in some of their games.
True. This plus the RGB mods out there make the games look way better, I just don't understand what Nintendo was thinking... I need to try this rom sorcery myself.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had initially expected this to be some new form of AA, but it's just a way to turn AA off. It's surprising N didn't try this earlier when the complaints hit.

The N64 blurriness is part of the charm though. Just like the softer picture of Laserdisc or the warm sound of viny.

...dat blurr...

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I noticed you can do this with a game shark too.
Any particular version needed, or does it work with all of them?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I noticed you can do this with a game shark too.
Any particular version needed, or does it work with all of them?

I'd imagine if the version works with the game, it's fine. Older versions have a hard time using codes with later games.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So turn your games from a blurry mess to a pixelated, jaggy mess.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Putting glitter on shit..Oooh it's pretty shitty now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One thing on the video-you should never, ever put sharpness of the Framemeister more than 1, it should either be 0 or 1. Any more than that and you're messing up the image with artificial sharpening, it looks like ass.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Hey now, lets not go too far. Mischief Makers is great.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'd rather beat off with 100 grit sandpaper than play N64, but it looks like we both have to go to different lengths to get what we want.

:lolz:

There's at least 5 games I care about on the n64! It actually borderline makes it worth owning...

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Big time N64 basher here but i gotta admit to liking a few games on the system, not many though.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
All the wrestling games are great. However they've aged so poorly I don't even care about those anymore.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I love playing real hardware, but the N64 is an exception. Emulators just look so much better than the real thing.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
This is honestly amazing. Keep AA to more advanced modern Platforms/PC CPUs I say.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
There's no point in posting this here, with the hatred of the system shared by most.