NEC Turbo Duo question

were8kosh

Rugal's Thug
15 Year Member
hello im goin to be getting my first turbo duo and as i never had one before i just wanted to know if anyone wouldnt mind telling me about some question i had for it.
1 what types of games can be played on it off the bat.
2 what type of games need attachments to be played on it.
3 what are the games that are the most fun for the system.

like i said im new to it and wanted alittle help so i dont end up pissing money away on games and attachments that are not much fun.
thanks for any info

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
were8kosh said:
hello im goin to be getting my first turbo duo and as i never had one before i just wanted to know if anyone wouldnt mind telling me about some question i had for it.
1 what types of games can be played on it off the bat.
2 what type of games need attachments to be played on it.
3 what are the games that are the most fun for the system.

like i said im new to it and wanted alittle help so i dont end up pissing money away on games and attachments that are not much fun.
thanks for any info

#1> The PCE DUO (Turbo Duo) will play all HU-Cards/"Turbo Chips" and will play the entire library of both TurboGrafx 16 CD-ROM / PC ENGINE CD-ROM and the Japanese Super CD-ROM (SCD) games as well as the Turbo Duo SCD games since there is no lock out code. If you want to play the few Arcade CD-ROM (ACD) that came out for the PCE DUO, then you'll need to track down an ACD HU-CARD. Such games for that set up are: Fatal Fury Special, Strider Hiryu and a few others I don't remember.

#2> You don't need attatchments like you did with the older TurboGrafx / PC-ENGINE + CD-ROM add on + SCD Card. The Duo comes with a built in SCD card and will play games from both regions as well as the older CD-ROM games.

#3> Well just like the NEO:GEO is mostly a "VS.FIGHTING" system, the PCE DUO / Turbo Duo is a console that excelled at "Shooters" but there are a wide variety of other genres. Some games to look for that are bad ass...

Lords (Winds) of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Ninja Warriors
Ninja Spirit
Legendary Axe
Shockman (Shibibiman) 1-3
Macross 2036
Ray Xanber series
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
EXILE
EXILE II
Last (Red) Alert
Final Zone II
Ninja Ryukenden (Gaiden #1)
Shinobi
Download
Download 2
Galaxy Policewoman SAPPHIRE
Spriggan
Spriggan Mark II
Solider Blade
Crest of Wolf (Riot Zone)
Sister Yakuza
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (Rivercity Ransom)
Double Dragon II
Steam Hearts
Valis: Fantasm Solider
Valis II
Valis III
Valis IV

...and that's just the tip of the iceberg. *Have fun collecting, though some of those games are going to be pricey, especially SAPPHIRE. It's a great hobby.

MERCENARY X99

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Doing your homework, eh, Were? Good for you. I don't really know that much about it myself. I always wanted to get more into it, but it just didn't happen. The reason I got it was to be able to play the Working Designs games. The only one missing of theirs in the bundle you are buying is Exile 2. I also have Keith Courage and that Volleyball one in there. I wouldn't worry to much about those two, but keep the others in good shape as Working Designs' games hold their value very well if they are taken care of. I didn't play much of them, but I liked Cadash, Parasol Stars, and Cosmic Fantasy 2 a lot. You won't find a Duo in better shape anywhere, so take good care of her. I have had it for about 6 years and it has only been out of the box 2 or 3 times. Out of everything I sold it was the hardest. I better go now... :crying:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
were8kosh said:
dont worry ill make sure to keep evil ash away from it. lol

Ah, so you bought loopyeddie's system. Awesome guy to deal with and I must admit that the Duo in his last listing was rather gorgeous. Excellent purchase that you'll enjoy quite a lot, I think.

In addition to the games Merc posted, I would recommend trying the Bonk games (Bonk 3 is pricey, though) and the Ys games. For one of your first pickups I would suggest the Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 disc that has Gate of Thunder, Bonk 1, Bonk 2, and Bomberman (unlockable) on it. 4 cool games for about $20-$25 max.

You also should look for Air Zonk and maybe Super Air Zonk if you like the first one. Very fun shooters with a rather bizarre atmosphere.

Though they cost a pretty penny, be sure to get both Dracula X and Steam Hearts. Drac X is easily the best action-oriented Castlevania game. Great soundtrack and Maria makes for a change from the norm in play mechanics. And Steam Hearts is truly unique in that the main character must "purify" the bosses after he beats them by um, having sex with them. Yes, all the bosses are women, thankfully. The PCE version includes some racy anime scenes that the Saturn version is missing. And it's also a pretty decent shooter.

Two more shooters to look for are Blazing Lazers/Gunhed (the American title is actually spelled that way) and Final Soldier. The two of them and Soldier Blade are all from the same series, and all move very fast and make for good challenge.

Oh, and one more I just thought of- Bloody Wolf is pretty solid. It's a little like a 3/4 overhead Contra. Definitely worth picking up.

Also check this thread in All About Shooters to get some ideas.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
You might need to also purchase my "luke riding tauntaun" to keep it safe...

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
EVIL NICK said:
Don't you need a converter to play the other region of Hucards?

This man speaks the truth. Out of all that I stated this is the thing I forgot. Since you bought a TURBO DUO then the PC-Engine HU-CARDs will not work with it. You'll need a Kisado Adaptor. But all the disc based game are region-free.

Have fun with that Duo.

MERCENARY X99

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Or better yet, PM D-Lite and get him to slap one of these bad boys in your Duo...
Hell, it might be even cheaper than a Kisado.
PCEDR_Region_Switch.sized.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
And just what Am I looking at in that photo Formation Z? It looks like a circle around a circular input device of some sort. I understand it's a HU-CARD mod of some sort, but how does something on the back of the DUO help you play both Domestic & JPN Hu-Cards?

MERCENARY X99

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
Pressing it reverses the pins. it can be done on ANY Turbo hardware except the Standard white PCE or Coregrafx.

BTW'
If anyone has a loose white PC Engine console, I'd like to buy it just for room decoration.

Last edited: