Neo Geo Tate

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Three words: Bust-a-Move

Where was the homecart for that?

Besides, if it made a ton of money in the arcade I doubt either SNK or the developer would care all that much about a home release. There was no golden rule that every MVS game would be ported to the home console (AES / CD).
Also, ports for 32 bits consoles, like DoDonPachi, offered tate, but you didn't have to play it in tate. There's no reason why these verti-zontal approaches couldn't have been taken for home console, especially on NGCD.

I'm sorry, but I find your argument weak as vicar's piss.

When someone makes a game that their career hangs on they don’t do weird shit to put their game in some sort of technical ghetto. They don’t Kenji Eno it, they want a hit everyone can play. They do not want to make Irritating Maze. They don’t want to be a dedicated cab based on a multi-cab. They don’t want to write a line in the instruction book apologizing to the operator who has to set his DIPs sideways. Being the only vert Neo game is only going to hurt its chances, even a little.

They want the widest possible audience. If you think that concept is week you must be terrible at business.

Technically there’s no reason why it couldn’t be the way the game is made in the first place. Being able to switch it 90 degrees after the fact is no small feet though, both layouts would require different timing of enemies an shots and usually wouldn’t make much sense unless the game had a design that wasn’t genuinely very vert to begin with.

Last edited: