neo through hdtv?

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i recently re-bought an aes system. long story short, i'm trying to play through my newer samsung 40inch 1080p lcd hdtv....and it isn't pretty. color bleeding, flickering and just a bad over all picture is the problem...

what can be done about this? or should i just break out the old tube?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Either get an XRGB3 or an RGB to HDMI upscaler, not converter.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Either get an XRGB3 or an RGB to HDMI upscaler, not converter.

If I'm trying to play an AES with RGB to Component on a CRT... is an "upscaler" better than a converter? Or is an upscaler only nessesary for LCD/Plasma?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Component on a CRT should work perfectly fine. What problems are you having?

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Component on a CRT should work perfectly fine. What problems are you having?

No problems yet, I'm planning to buy a Scart to Component converter and want to make sure I dont waste my time and money. Just wanted to make sure a "converter" not a "upscaler" was the route to go for a CRT.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
i'm just about the least tech savvy person here...xrgb3 whosawhatsit? i'm plugging in using just the yellow and white component cables...

i don't really want to spend a shit ton of money to get just a small improvement...

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Yellow connections are COMPOSITE connections, they look like shit on ANY TV.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Composite video (yellow) is horrible on HDTVs. You need at least an S-video connection to look a little better than composite. If you use an HDMI upscaler you would also need an RGB>SCART cable that you plug into the Neo's AV port. The other end (SCART) would plug into the SCART to HDMI upscaler and then the HDMI from the upsclaer to the TV.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
For interests sake, why would you recommend a HDMI upscaler over a VGA converter?

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
sounds like a wire extravaganza...
xrgb3 sounds like a relatively smaller headache...

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
ahhh vga converter...another option...is it just six of one or a half dozen of the other?

any other convertors/upscalers out there that i should consider?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ahhh vga converter...another option...is it just six of one or a half dozen of the other?

any other convertors/upscalers out there that i should consider?

How much are you looking to spend?

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
i'd rather not spend an arm and a leg...but what would it run me for the hdmi upscaler vs the xrgb3? and which one would be the best bet?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Do upscalers fix the sync issues that neo's have with hdtv's?

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
and are the results for the 65$ option just as good as the 300$ option?
i get confused with all the display terms...scart, rgb,composit... scart is european right? i could use an rgb cable..but i'd have to make sure that scart is an option...please excuse my idiocy...

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Because the HDMI upscaler makes a better looking picture than that of a VGA converter.
While I'm not doubting what you say, I've tried hooking my monitor up through both DVI and VGA, and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference at all.

You would think that the difference would be even less noticable with a low resolution analog video source.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I guess it really depends on the quality of the converter. The VGA converter I tried on my brothers plasma was the one at jamma boards at it looked decent but not great. The HDMI upscaler looked a bit better, kinda like the Neobitz S-video/component kinda difference. It's there but not as noticeable.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I know plenty of people are happy with the jammaboards converter but it isn't exactly the highest quality product going around.

Too cheap and chinese for me. Bit like paying $2 for a tool and expecting it to be good.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
in order to use the rgb to hdmi upscaler, i'd have to get my console modded for rgb...correct?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You don't have to. The neo natively outputs RGB through the a/v port. You just need the right cable to attach to the upscaler.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you will never get an arcade perfect picture on a modern tv.

personally, i would get a good upscaler like the xrgb and the slg3000 scanline generator. IF your tv/monitor takes vga.

otherwise, i would just get a s-video encoder and ask someone else to built me an external rgb->s-video converter. i tried the ngcd on my flatscren with a s-video cable and it didn't look near as bad as the composite picture. in fact, rgb didn't look much better than s-video and even hdmi will not get you a really satisfying result with old school systems like the neo.

i do suggest to get the slg3000, because the scanlines can distract from the neo's low resolution picture. the result doesn't look as washed out or blown up.

more info & quite a few pictures:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33454

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
what's a good place to find a rgb to hdmi upscaler? besides ebay....?

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
okay smart electronics persons....helps...lol:qcf::A: