New forum category: Home Theater

Should these new HT forums be broken down into sub forums?

• Yes. (Please post what sub forums are necessary).

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No. Having these new forums should be sufficient enough.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

Shawn

snkusa.com
We will be adding an exciting new section to our forums soon. This project is being discussed in the mod forum and has received unanimous support so far. This thread has been created so that you may post your suggestions, opinions, or ideas. All posts will be closely reviewed and considered prior to implementation.

The current proposal:
New section: Home Theater (media room)
Forums under the new section:
Displays (CRT, Plasma, LCD, DLP, SED, Laser and beyond)
- Sub forums possible here for each display technology.
Audio (speakers, receivers, amps, cables)
- Sub forums also possible here.
Hi Def Gaming: Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo
- Sub forums possible: 360, PS3, Wii, etc.
Blu-Ray/HD DVD & Broadcast HD TV
- Possible sub forums: Media, Players, Satellite/Cable

Reasons for the addition:
- Many of us already have a HT setup or an interest in HT of some kind.
- It's inevitable, a hobby that all men will eventually indulge.
- Moving PS3/Wii/Xbox out of unrelated to an HD gaming forum.
- We always get the same display/sound questions posed.
- There are members who are real HT addicts.
- DashK will spam them up easily.

How can you help? Suggest any of the following that you feel would be an improvement to the aforementioned proposal, such as:
Title of the new section, which is currently Home Theater (media room).
What forums to create (stating your ideal forum title), or not to create.
What sub forums to create, if any.
Any other changes or additions related to this new section that you would like to see.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I just like the concept of having a seperate section for the Wii, PS3, and 360.

Perpahs a sub-forum of Gaming or Unrelated. "Next-Gen Gaming" forum.

Most the threads about them land up trainwrecks due to extreme fanboism, so they just jumble up Unrelated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I really don't think that you need the subforums many posts may compare one to the other...

I like the Idea though.....

Screw AVS....

Also, why do companies sell 75ohm D-Coax audio cables? What is wrong with using a cheap 0ohm rca cable?

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Well, not to rain on anyone's parade but if you are looking for that kind of information there is already a great site for it:

AVS FORUM

http://www.avsforum.com/

They also have their individual forums broken down accordingly:

» Display Devices
» Video Components
» Home Theater PC's
» HDTV Area
» Blu-ray & HD DVD Area
» Audio Area
» Digital Video & Audio
» Home Theater Gaming
» Room Construction
» A/V Control & Automation
» Other Areas of Interest
» AVS Forum Support
» Member Theater Gallery
» Forum Rules
» Advertise on AVS

It would save you the trouble of having to set it up here.

Just my two cents.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I voted for YES...

Its nice to see these forums expand more and more...

Keep up the good work, homie.

Shawn

snkusa.com
@TMOSteel: AVS Forum definitely sets the bar for HT discussion but that’s not where NG.com is focused. Concerning AVS Forum’s setup, they have 15 sections and a whopping 75 forums related to home theater/media. We only want to allocate 4 forums related to this area, with possible sub forums.

AVS Forum = heavy towards home theater, light on the gaming.
Neo-Geo.com = heavy on the Neo, light on the HT & next-gen gaming.

These new forums may stimulate more discussion on HT & next-gen gaming, but they are not intended to take away our core purpose, the NG.

@Tonk: We thought you'd like this new addition. It was mentioned that you would probably be inspired to upgrade your HT setup once all this new discussion begins. Be sure to share the pix with us!

@Abasuto: This wouldn't happen to be your website would it?
http://www.abasuto.com/

If so, interesting use of your domain name. I like it!

@norton9478: No idea on the coax audio cable. I only use HDMI for connecting components to the receiver, and one HDMI out to the display.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TMOSteel said:
Well, not to rain on anyone's parade but if you are looking for that kind of information there is already a great site for it:

AVS FORUM

http://www.avsforum.com/

I heard that the mods of AVS are a bunch of fachist bastards. The are like 1000 FTL's. Didn't they ban Resoglas for posting a picture of a burnt CRT?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hey, Instead of calling it Home Theatre... Why not call it Audio/Video?

Home Theatre is more restrictive....

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
So far, I think it's an excellent idea. It keeps more people here at NG.COM than going to another site for HD talk.

Although it might be a small subsection, should the Neo be given it's own subcategory on the subject?

While it doesn't display TRUE HD, more than a few members have this mod performed by a few experienced individuals (JeffK, KPJ, JROK) and many members into HD displays and gaming, myself included, simply felt the mod a natural progression to place everyone's most beloved system as on par as possible with the current gen.

I just feel the Neo, on this site, should also be given attention for those who have these mods done. Not just XBOX, PS3 and the like.

I voted against sub-categories.

The main forum categories suggested should be enough. Especially the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD forum.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I voted no as well as I agree with Argentina94. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. SInce I dont like going to other forums or any other place on the internet for that matter this just makes things better.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I think this is an excellent idea, it's a natural extension of the forums. It will also keep the HD threads out of Unrelated for people who are not interested in them.

I would suggest replacing one of the lesser used forums with this new one though, to keep the main index streamlined. Maybe 24-bit or Hyper?

jetblue

Crossed Swords Squire
All my audio/video equipment is still primative. And getting more backwards,i still havent found a rgb monitor,but im getting close. But i would like to read about the new fancy schmancy stuff thats coming out of the orient.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
voted no

"Can I have a fluffy animals sub forum?"

The problem with sub-forums is, no-one actually reads them, they don't stick out that much. I mean, this is likely to happen anyway no matter what we vote

*shrug*

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
I still want a non-USian English subforum in the foreign language section.

WTF is a lorry?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Hey, Instead of calling it Home Theatre... Why not call it Audio/Video?

Home Theatre is more restrictive....

Seconded.

Or, staying more focused with the gaming topic "Sudio/Video Set-ups" or something like that?

I think this is also fair for the fact is just not "HD is da shit", but from a retro prospective (and NeoGeo is retro by now), it's also the very contrary.

As a matter of fact, SONY has trashed its CRT line-up. And what we need for a perfect NeoGeo image picture display is a RGB-capable 50h CRT, you know.

CRT technology is prolly dead, but no way you can enjoy your beloved retro game machines on a next-gen setup, and I think that's a fact.

As a result, I'm packing more and more brand new unopened CRT in a vacant room of my flat, just to secure my future. ;)

How funny it would be to have a nice NG collection to enjoy senility and no way to use it in the right way...

So I emphasize the need of a "NeoGeo retro setup forums", and voted 'yes' for that reason.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Shito said:
As a result, I'm packing more and more brand new unopened CRT in a vacant roomo of my flat, just to secure my future. ;)

?

Just get a cab already, thats the 'right way'

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Home Theater forums?

What a load of complete toss.

Well i suppose they could possibly keep the dicks entertained and out of unrelated :emb:

While your at it, throw up a "Esther Rantzen's Teeth" forum and bring back the Flatley forum.

:oh_no:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Voted yes. Easiest choice in a long while.

More and more threads pop up about HDTVs, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, good speakers, etc., all of which would fit nicely within said forum.

edit: I would volunteer my services as mod of any HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray content. ;)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yes that would be nice.

Maybe:

HT
HD gaming
HD movies and TV
Misc. AV and help sections

Voted Yes, seperate forums is fine by me. There are certain aspects of HT that I'm not interested in at the moment, so a seperate forum for HD-DVD/Blu Ray is great IMO.

I would rather talk about this stuff here at NG.com because A) I'm familiar with the board layout, familiar with the retarded members here, and B) there's alot more freedom here than at AVS. "FREEEEEDOOOOMMM!!"

also, LOL @ Drifty getting singled out by Shawn.