New release games on Amazon

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So I noticed a while ago that EU region games started showing up and now almost every new release is EU and the US ones are almost alway slightly more $ and only from 3rd party sellers. WTF is this BS? I see people in review comments say they can't get any DLC because of the region differences so they have to be returning the games or at least bringing it to Amazon's attention.

This makes zero sense.

Does anybody know why Amazon is doing this? It has to be effecting sales for both the games and the DLC.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
They do this with DVDs and Blu-ray’s now too. It’s like Amazon forgot what regions are, and not everyone has a region free DVD player in every room...

...region is falling out of favor even with producers now. I recently got a copy of Cosmos on DVD, was pissed that they sent me a region 4 copy, less pissed to find out the disc only says it’s region 4, it actually has no region. The same was not true of the copy of Toast of London they sent me which I can’t use (R2 PAL). The UK copy of 2001 they sent me is fine because it’s Blu-ray and the regions are different.

Not happy at all with this. I’m no stranger to imports of every format but I do like to actually know WFT I’m getting, especially if it’s a gift.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yup with movies sometimes it depends on the player. I have different region stuff that will play on one but not the other just because of the manufacturer.

I don't buy games until quite a while after they've been released and it sucks that unless you pre order stuff it's usually going to be EU. Some of the games I've looked at and the price difference is quite considerable between the EU and US versions, like $40.

I had to go to eBay to find a US copy of Catherine Full Body on PS4 and I shouldn't have to do that and even then 80% on eBay were EU as well and sealed US copies were going for way more than they should because those sellers know.

Either sell shit for the proper region or just make 2 regions, asia and everywhere else.

Or maybe the majority of people are just oblivious or just don't care. I don't buy DLC very often, I usually wait till there's a "definitive" version or whatever and maybe most younger people are just buying the games digitally. I don't know. I do know that this is something very simple that shouldn't be an issue.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
One time I bought a PS3 game, Gundam Breaker, as the “Asia” release. Because there is DLC, and also Crossplay with the Vita version, I started a Asia PSN account, etc. It was a pain in the ass. I did it to save $8 over the JP version.

When Gundam Breaker 2 came out, in order to migrate my save file, I again bought the Asia versions. This time though they actually translated the game into Chinese, which I cannot read at all. Not just the story mode, but the names of every item in the game. This made it much harder for me to do basic things and probably contributed to me getting bored with the game much sooner than the first one. It was great for the intended audience, Asia, who had to play the first game in Japanese with just a small cheat sheet insert to help them get going...but it sucked for me since I can only read English and sorta Japanese.

In short, formats and shit are complicated enough as it is. I’m barely capable of buying the right thing sometimes so I don’t need any complications. :)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
With the majority of consoles region free, regions in games aren't really an issue unless you're cashing in DLC vouchers for certain regions. I've noticed a lot of my Amazon game purchases are euro versions, but they play just fine so I'm not too bothered.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Never understood regions on games / movies after the year 2000. If I cant go buy a physical copy to play on my equipment, I'll just pirate it. In regards to film, the pirated copies are usually better quality now anyways.

Congratulations, you played yourself.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Wait better quality than a 4k Blu-ray? Even legal streaming isn't in the same league.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
it's a conspiracy by the CIA to brainwash us into not buying physical video games by slight annoyance

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It was never easier to get imports and ordering US & UK imports on German Amazon is cheaper than odrering directly from the US or UK stores. Ordered 3 movies on Friday and they will arrive till Wednesday. Got a 4k Blu-ray shipped from Amazon UK for 6,13 € with prime last week.