NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
i've been drinking 2 or 3 beers (bottles) a day for the past few weeks

biggest side effect is the fattening. holy jesus it's easy to get a gut from drinking beer.

that is all

Fucking hell you're telling me. I'm 21 and have a little beer baby of my own.

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Lefty's.jpgfox barrel.jpg

I picked this up yesterday. Not bad if you are a cider fan. I miss their Black Currant-Pear brew that they discontinued.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area that is ripe with craft brews. I have been loving the Brewmaster Jack http://www.brewmasterjack.com/ and Lefty's http://www.leftysbrew.com/ as of late.

I am a former chef and when I have time we usually host a pin and vid night with brews and food. IT doesn't happen quite as often as it used to.

This was last week's pairing-Lefty's pale ale with some smoked wings

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Got my hands on Karbach's Karbachtoberfest. While not as stellar as Saint Arnold's or Left Hand's Oktoberfests, it's definitely tasty. I found it to be lighter than most marzen-style brews.

As a bonus, I scored a year-old Krunkin' Pumpkin beer that I'll be giving to a friend of mine for her birthday.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Moortgat, the Belgian company that owns Duvel and a slew of other brands is set to acquire Boulevard Brewing of Kansas City.

I have to say that while I'm never fond of things like this, a huge congratulations to John McDonald who built a massively successful brewery (12th largest 'craft' brewery in the US) over the past 25+ years.

Moortgat might be one of the safer hands to be in at least in terms of large corporate owner goes. A couple years ago Goose Island was sold to ABInBev (Anheuser Busch conglomerate) and while there hasn't been widespread complaints about how the brand has been handled it still irks some people.

I love Boulevards beer and hope they are able to continue with the independence and creativity necessary to create award winning beers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/18/b...uys-boulevard-a-us-craft-beer-maker.html?_r=0

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Been enjoying the Newcastle IPA lately, as it is the first IPA I've ever tasted and was a bit shocking as to how bold the flavor was. I enjoyed it tremendously.

Going to DC next weekend to run a marathon, wanted to know if there were any recommendations to local brews in the area?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Southern Tier Pumking, it's awesome in the fall with a nice cigar
ind_bp_pumking1.jpg

Mac91

10 Year Member
I'm a bit late, but excuse me I forgot this thread existed! Recently went to Munich for Oktoberfest. I can't really be arsed going into detail right now, but I might write a little review or something. needless to say, it was immense!

lithy

20 Year Member
Been enjoying the Newcastle IPA lately, as it is the first IPA I've ever tasted and was a bit shocking as to how bold the flavor was. I enjoyed it tremendously.

Going to DC next weekend to run a marathon, wanted to know if there were any recommendations to local brews in the area?

DC Brau is fairly easy to find in cans at local Whole Foods, etc.

Others are much smaller but might be on draft in different spots. 3 Stars and Atlas come to mind as other local producers. Bigger chains include the District Chophouse & Brewery as well as the Capitol City Breweries.

Two of the best beer bars in the world are in DC.

Pizza Paradiso (both in Dupont Circle and in Georgetown).
Churchkey (14th and Rhode Island near Logan Circle)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
DC Brau is fairly easy to find in cans at local Whole Foods, etc.

Others are much smaller but might be on draft in different spots. 3 Stars and Atlas come to mind as other local producers. Bigger chains include the District Chophouse & Brewery as well as the Capitol City Breweries.

Two of the best beer bars in the world are in DC.

Definitely going to check these out. After my marathon I'm gonna need a beer to get through the drive home

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I've been diving into more local stuff as the Texas brew scene has exploded in the past few years. I picked up Real Ale's (Blanco, TX) Oktoberfest (pretty run of the mill, and kind of sweet) and No Label's (Katy, TX) Black Wit-O (tastes like chocolate witbeer. Not a bad thing at all.)

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member

IPAs are divisive among beer fans, but once you develop a taste for hops, it can really grow. It's funny how beer tastes change over the years and what seemed bold/extreme last year may now seem normal or even underwhelming.

I much prefer American-style IPAs (as opposed to English-style IPAs such as Newcastle, which are lighter on hops), but it pays to start out small/light/balanced and work your way up to 100+ IBU monsters.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist

I hit both of those on my last DC trip and they were both awesome!

A few weeks ago I attended a "Wood Aged Beer Fest" by a local brewery. There were at least 4 or 5 great beers there, which was more than I expected.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is out again for the Holiday season. I love this beer.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Last night, I attended an event sponsored by Draft Magazine at the Lakewood, OH, Winking Lizard which featured the head brewmaster from Pilsner Urquell tapping a keg of unfiltered, unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell. This holy grail beer was only $2 for a half liter. There was also a blind taste test between the standard draft Pilsner Urquell that we normally get in the States and five-day-old express shipped Pilsner Urquell, similar to what is served on draft in the Czech Republic. There were giveaways, too, and my wife and I left with a few Pilsner Urquell beer mugs. All in all, it was a great night of great beer.

Apparently, several other bars across the country (those who finished highly in Draft Magazine's "25 Freshest Bars in America" poll/feature) are doing similar events in the near future, although the "tour" doesn't seem well organized or highly publicized. If you're into beer, I would highly recommended doing some research and finding out if a bar near you is doing one of these Pilsner Urquell events. Getting to try unfiltered, unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and this may be your only chance outside of going to Plzen, Czech Republic.

I talked to the brewmaster, U.S. rep for Pilsner Urquell, and Draft Magazine editor last night, and I know they'll be at Public House in Chicago, IL, tonight (Nov. 7) and at Papago Brewing Co. in Scottsdale, AZ, on November 8. Good luck, and happy beer drinking.

Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is out again for the Holiday season. I love this beer.

Me too. One more reason to love the winter season.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
I'm going to be at the Founders Breakfast Stout Breakfast Club again this year (on Saturday). Anyone going to be there? Driving from Chicago to Grand Rapids Saturday morning in my pajamas and pumped for my free mug, breakfast stout fillup, and breakfast buffet. Backwoods Bastard (the best) and Curmudgeon are going to be on tap. Probably going to buy a few backwoods bastard 6 packs.

lithy

20 Year Member
Damn, bummed that I didn't hear about that one sooner. Not that I could have made it, I was at the brewery 16 hours yesterday anyway.

Nice, fresh Czech Pilsners are some of my favorite beers, and while actually being at the brewery in Plzen would be awesome, simply trying the beer would be very cool by itself.

I'm assuming this is what you had?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pilsner-urquell-nefiltrovany/44956/

Anyway, it looks like they won't be any closer than Cleveland any time soon, guess I should start planning that Czech Republic tour...

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Damn, bummed that I didn't hear about that one sooner. Not that I could have made it, I was at the brewery 16 hours yesterday anyway.

Nice, fresh Czech Pilsners are some of my favorite beers, and while actually being at the brewery in Plzen would be awesome, simply trying the beer would be very cool by itself.

I'm assuming this is what you had?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pilsner-urquell-nefiltrovany/44956/

Anyway, it looks like they won't be any closer than Cleveland any time soon, guess I should start planning that Czech Republic tour...

I found out about it a few days ago, so it was pretty last minute. Like I said, the event/tour was marketed very poorly. There weren't even that many people there for such an important event in the beer community - maybe 30-40 people on and off throughout the night.

That is the beer we had, previously only available at the brewery and two brewery-owned bars in Plzen. While in Prague this spring, we were only able to try the unpasteurized but filtered tankovna beer at Lokal (couldn't get out to Plzen), so I'm very glad we were able to get our hands on some of the good stuff in the U.S. The tankovna Pilsner Urquell was fantastic (and honestly there's not much difference between that and the true unfiltered, unpasteurized beer that they've been brewing for over 150 years), but it's nice to have had the experience of drinking the original, especially with the convenience of being so close to home.

Another cool experience of the event was talking with Pilsner Urquell head brewmaster Vaclav Berka. On the recommendation of one of the editors of Draft Magazine, my wife and I had Vaclav give us a "milk" pour, which is all foam. It's sweeter, incredibly smooth, and doesn't feel "empty" like most beer foam - there's actually some nice body to it. The Czech tradition is to drink it all at once (we had 12 oz. each), so that's what we did.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Tried some Stella Artois last noche. I liked it, anybody want to recommend some euro trash to me?

lithy

20 Year Member
Tried some Stella Artois last noche. I liked it, anybody want to recommend some euro trash to me?

Pilsner Urquell is a classic. Czechvar (or Budvar, the original Budweiser) is also solid.

Stella for the most part kinda sucks and sells its 'quality' on its price. One billboard in particular used to say, "Reassuringly expensive".

Unfortunately in this department you are usually choosing from months old, green bottled, skunked pils. Find out if any of your local brewers attempt a Czech Pilsner.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Pilsner Urquell is a classic. Czechvar (or Budvar, the original Budweiser) is also solid.

Stella for the most part kinda sucks and sells its 'quality' on its price. One billboard in particular used to say, "Reassuringly expensive".

Unfortunately in this department you are usually choosing from months old, green bottled, skunked pils. Find out if any of your local brewers attempt a Czech Pilsner.

Funny I was just reading about Pilsner Urquell, was reading about different pilsners . Trying to find out where to score some. Thanks.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante

These are great recommendations. I would also suggest some German Pils, like Jever or Radeberger as well.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
These are great recommendations. I would also suggest some German Pils, like Jever or Radeberger as well.

I actually just picked up some Pilsner Urquell, Jever, Paulaner (shot in the dark) and Spaten. I've had Spaten before and liked it, although I am ignorant as to if it's a pilsner or not.

Gonna have a good time tonight, boyos. Thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited:

Mac91

10 Year Member
A related comment.

Many people get arsey about beer: "you like Erdinger!?!?!?!??111!? That's not a proper authentic Hefeweissbier" and shit like that. I say: you drink what you want and like what you like. If any of you are familiar with the British beer/ale/cider scene, you know about 'Camra Nazis'.
So yeah. Drink your shit and enjoy it all!