NGPC Prices on the rise and rare games thin on the ground!

turq

Quiz Detective
OMG - so you're one of them "chest pounders" Kid Panda was referring to!?! :eek_2:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I've always been a loosy collector, mainly for the lower cost of entry and the fact that I can't keep something like that in pristine VGA condition for far too long. The only things I really go for in terms of CIB are disc based games because, well lets face it, if the person kept the box and instructions theres a higher chance that they took better care of the game and didnt use it as a coaster or something. not 100% foolproof, but a higher chance.

MiG

n00b
OMG - so you're one of them "chest pounders" Kid Panda was referring to!?! :eek_2:

No, just disagreeing with your claim that all those who collect CIB games aren't "true players" as you put it.. :rolleyes:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have single language ESRB stickers on front and back of KoF R2, Metal Slug 1st Mission, and Samurai Shodown!

All I have right now is my crappy iPod that's not taking good pictures. I'll find my camera and post pics of these games within a few days.

turq

Quiz Detective
No, just disagreeing with your claim that all those who collect CIB games aren't "true players" as you put it.. :rolleyes:
You already forgot I was quoting Kid Panda? :conf:

No it's collectors. They won't play the game and let them sit on a shelf and pound their chest about how much they spent. Period.

"Period.", mind you!

Nope, I'm a player. As a matter of fact, all the talk earlier in the thread about Turf Masters got me to dig out my old loosey and all of a sudden I'm embroiled in the seductive world of the NGPC yet again!

Turf Masters is absolutely unmissable for the price!
I remember it was one of my early purchases for the console. Recommended by the staff of EB! I was never a fan of golf games, but as they had the 10 day bring it back policy I thought I'd give it a go.
Very playable!! And cheap as chips now.

Turf Masters in any form is just the best. I had friends over recently and they balked at playing a golf game. Four hours later, NOBODY would let me swap the cartridge.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Uggg.. My camera's battery doesn't work and needs to be replaced.

I gotta dig out my system and play some Dark Arms but I don't have a watch battery.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
eq5iq9.jpg

14nfyva.jpg

2m3hj6g.jpg

There you go, they're taken with my crappy iPod, but you can see the ESRB stick on the front.

Are there other snap lock boxed U.S. launch games? Crush Roller maybe?
Man, Evolution is rare. There's not many ebay listings and the one that sold went for $339. Nuts.
I remember buying it in 2000 from NCSX and there was a very short pre-order window for it.

Last edited:

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
I looked, and get this: the numbering convention matches UK carts NEOP00XX

Quite the anomoly.

Dumb question alert, but......
They haven't just stuck a sticker on the cover of the UK version have they?
Well, except for Metal Slug which seems to be based on the Japanese or US? artwork?

The cart labels look like the UK ones too.
No ratings on them.
Even the artwork on the MS label is different from the US standard version isn't it?

If MS1's cat numbers are:
Japanese clamcase: NEOP00210
UK Clamcase: NEOP0021
US softcase: NEOP00211

What's your US clamcase?

The UK single language cover is different and (Horror) I've only got the triple language cover and three manual version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNK-Neo-G...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item43cecec33b

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Dumb question alert, but......
They haven't just stuck a sticker on the cover of the UK version have they?
Well, except for Metal Slug which seems to be based on the Japanese or US? artwork?

The cart labels look like the UK ones too.
No ratings on them.
Even the artwork on the MS label is different from the US standard version isn't it?

If MS1's cat numbers are:
Japanese clamcase: NEOP00210
UK Clamcase: NEOP0021
US softcase: NEOP00211

What's your US clamcase?

The UK single language cover is different and (Horror) I've only got the triple language cover and three manual version.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNK-Neo-G...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item43cecec33b

Yea, it looks like they just stuck the ratings stickers on the box. But the weird thing is, the UK versions came out much later.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It wasn't a deal then, eBay was flooded with $4 NGPC loosies.

Word, if not for this thread I would have assumed you paid more for an extra nice loose copy. These things were always dirt cheap. Surprised to see games like Gals Fighter fetching $50. I think I got that in a bundle with a few other loose games for $10 years ago.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Word, if not for this thread I would have assumed you paid more for an extra nice loose copy. These things were always dirt cheap. Surprised to see games like Gals Fighter fetching $50. I think I got that in a bundle with a few other loose games for $10 years ago.
These kinda of posts pain me deeply as it's one of the last ones I need.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Yea, it looks like they just stuck the ratings stickers on the box. But the weird thing is, the UK versions came out much later.

Is it an applied sticker?
What is the cat no' of your MS1?
Also, the artwork for your MS1 isn't the same as the single language UK version.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
These kinda of posts pain me deeply as it's one of the last ones I need.

Think that's bad?
The last complete 'Last Blade' UK to sell on ebay/uk went for £180!
An evolution sold today for £185!

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Is it an applied sticker?
What is the cat no' of your MS1?
Also, the artwork for your MS1 isn't the same as the single language UK version.

Actually, it does match the original English UK/Asia release. It was later released with an ELSPA rating and different rear artwork.

The cart and manual are identical to the UK release. So is the insert, save for the stickers.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Actually, it does match the original English UK/Asia release. It was later released with an ELSPA rating and different rear artwork.

The cart and manual are identical to the UK release. So is the insert, save for the stickers.

Hi Vectorman,

The earliest stock of MS1 that I saw (and bought) was the tri-lan back cover with triple manuals.
In fact I've got two from different sources, both bought at the time and both are that 3-lan version.
The only single language version that I can find on fleabay at the moment is this:

So if you're right and there is also a version where the artwork is as Beefy's, that would mean that there are THREE official UK cover variants!
Which AFAIK is a first for the NGPC?
I don't think we've got any other titles with three cover variants?

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
The definition of "UK release" is pretty fuzzy, considering a majority of everything was distributed across Europe and Asia.

Technically, there are three English snaplock variants (excluding ESRB stickers). I know I have pics of the different metal slugs somewhere. There is a fourth European release with a French/Spanish rear cover. It's possible the non-ELSPA one wasn't really distributed in the UK and was mainly sold in Asia (HK, etc.). I'm not very familiar with the chronology of releases outside the US.

There are many early games with three non-Japanese snaplock releases. English, French/Spanish, and English/Italian/German. Fatal Fury, KOF, Crush Roller, etc.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I bought the UK version of Last Blade at an EB in England in 2000. I took a risk, thinking it would come out in the US. It's a good thing I got it cuz it's a great game.

There's lots of engrish in Evolution: Eternal Dungeons. I never finished it.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
The definition of "UK release" is pretty fuzzy, considering a majority of everything was distributed across Europe and Asia.

Technically, there are three English snaplock variants (excluding ESRB stickers). I know I have pics of the different metal slugs somewhere. There is a fourth European release with a French/Spanish rear cover. It's possible the non-ELSPA one wasn't really distributed in the UK and was mainly sold in Asia (HK, etc.). I'm not very familiar with the chronology of releases outside the US.

There are many early games with three non-Japanese snaplock releases. English, French/Spanish, and English/Italian/German. Fatal Fury, KOF, Crush Roller, etc.

It's a nightmare!
And there's no rhyme or reason to it either.
I'm not talking about Euro only non English covers as I've never bothered to look at them. Just English 'official' releases from the main distributors.

Some games I've only seen a single version of, like MS2.

MS1 is (now) the first I've come across with three covers.

I don't remember ever seeing Beefy's cover variant for sale over here.
But then again it was a long time ago and I don't specifically remember seeing the other single language cover variant either.
Of course at the time I was looking for other games and not worrying about cover variants.
I only noticed they existed after the recall, when I started buying everything I could lay my hands on.

mslug1-1.jpg

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
For anyone who isn't sure what we mean.
NGPC games sold in the UK tended to either have and English cover or a multi language cover.
Some games seem to only have been sold here in either one of those or the other.
Like Metal Slug 2 and Match of the Millenium were only available (here) as single language covers and others like KOFR2 and SS2 were available with two rear covers in single or multi language format.
To illustrate, here is KOFR2.
Same front cover on both, but one was sold with a single language, single (English) manual and the other was sold with a multi language cover and three manuals.
Now! Just to confuse matters ;) The KOFR2 manuals (and those of some other games) are quite chunky and trying to squeeze all three into the clips inside the clamcase is difficult at best. So some games with this problem were sold with only the English manual, even if they had the multi-language cover.
Where this decision was made and if the later ones were actually shipped from the distributor with the other manuals removed, who knows?
SDC10049.JPGSDC10048.JPG

Last edited:

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
There is one obvious exception to this, which is Samurai Shodown 2, where the single language version and the multi-language version also had different front covers.

SDC10051.JPGSDC10050.JPG

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I really like that cover art for the multi-language SamSho2. I'm so glad I'm staying away from Euro NGPC stuff cuz it looks like it's a pain in the dick.