Nintendo 2DS .... WTF

SSS

neo retired
Conveniently shaped like a door stop so they can let the remainder of their supporters out the building

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
From a parent point of view i think its a great design and bulky enough for the sloppy hands of kids. My 3DS has hit the floor more times than i can count while my 4 year old daughter was toying around with her Nitendodogs. I was planning on getting her a 3DS for her birthday next month, though i never felt comfortable with the 3D effect, i always tell her to turn it off in order to play on my 3DS. Also people tend to forget that Nintendo is a toy company, these new models (Fisher Price anyone?) have a very defined target in mind. I wouldn't buy it for me but i will surely buy it for my kid.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
From a parent point of view i think its a great design and bulky enough for the sloppy hands of kids. My 3DS has hit the floor more times than i can count while my 4 year old daughter was toying around with her Nitendodogs. I was planning on getting her a 3DS for her birthday next month, though i never felt comfortable with the 3D effect, i always tell her to turn it off in order to play on my 3DS. Also people tend to forget that Nintendo is a toy company, these new models (Fisher Price anyone?) have a very defined target in mind. I wouldn't buy it for me but i will surely buy it for my kid.

I just have to ask...a 4 year old? With a $200 precision gaming handheld? No offense man, but that's just silly...

Shifting gears...this:

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I just have to ask...a 4 year old? With a $200 precision gaming handheld? No offense man, but that's just silly...

Shifting gears...this:

A lot of my friends let their 2-3 years old kid playing iPad & iphone ................no kidding

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I was trying to explain to a blind friend of mine why the 3DS is the biggest piece of shit of all time and he countered by showing me this. I think I got schooled.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I was trying to explain to a blind friend of mine why the 3DS is the biggest piece of shit of all time and he countered by showing me this. I think I got schooled.

Design so bad it doesn't even appeal to a blind person...

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout

Shifting gears...this:

The voiceover narration is a bit unforgiving, almost verging on the suggestion that 2DS is dog food, and those who buy it at $130 are poor suckers.

I've demo'd the 3DS before in stores, and the games have never become comfortable to play with 3D turned on; I'm betting that significant feedback and market research prolly also suggested the same, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have made the move to redesign and sell the 2DS. Sure, it might cannibalize the 3DS sales a bit, but the Nintendo DS sold 153M worldwide, whereas 3DS has thus far only reached 32M — a potential 120M that hasn't made the hardware upgrade.

The Nintendo 2DS is gonna do just fine, despite all the internet ribbing it's receiving a la the notorious tacophone.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I think the design is stupid, but the fact that there is no 3D on the thing is a big bonus. If I had extra money laying around I'd be picking this up for my niece and nephew.

If it comes with the carry case, then I'd just as soon they left it out, and further dropped the price the ten or fifteen dollars I'm sure they think it's worth.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
One thing I noticed is that the controls are up by the top screen when they are normally at the bottom. I seem to recall some games really needing quick access to the touch screen, which works well with the original button placement. The 2DS looks cumbersome

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It's supposed to be a tablet for kids.

so you adults can stop trying to think. it doesnt make sense for adults.

it's lazy design tho.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's supposed to be a tablet for kids.

so you adults can stop trying to think. it doesnt make sense for adults.

it's lazy design tho.

Sure, kids. With small hands. That being said, the control layout makes NO sense...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
region locking does make sense in some rare cases.

cultural reference
religious jokes
borderline offensive content

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You always have the option of researching and not buying those games then, the rating system also exists for a reason. People who get offended by video games are hilarious.
Region lock is stupid shit that should've died in the nineties.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
You always have the option of researching and not buying those games then, the rating system also exists for a reason. People who get offended by video games are hilarious.
Region lock is stupid shit that should've died in the nineties.

In the age that everyone has easy access to the web there's no excuse on people being clueless( or just lazy ) about a quick iPhone/tablet/android search to get what you need to know

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I had read somewhere that the carrying pouch doesn't come with the 2DS and you have to pay another 12 dollars for it. So 142 bucks if you don't want the screen(s) scratched.

bokmeow

The comic doesn't make any persuasive case for removing region-lock other than "your competitors aren't doing it."

That's always been a sketchy territory to traverse, especially considering the demographic for Nintendo consoles rarely overlap with Sony or Microsoft consoles, when looking at the numbers. In the case of handhelds, reports of Sony retooling its PSP marketing towards women and children is particularly revealing. Even after taking those things into consideration, the majority with Nintendo handheld prolly won't even bat an eye at the region lockout — the language barrier is the most effective region lockout, so what's another hardware barrier?