offical wwe thread

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
AEW ALL IN PPV Results: 8-27-23

(9) MJF vs. ADAM COLE – AEW World Hvt. Title match

After a video package on this match, Cole made his traditional ring entrance. MJF was carried out on a throne wearing a devil mask again. Women in masks bowed as MJF walked past them as he entered the ring. During ring entrances, MJF yanked one of his arms out of his jacket when it got stuck. Taz said his jacket applied a wristlock.

After the bell rang, they both put on their t-shirts. Nigel said they’re sending a signal that they’re going to have a fair match without any cheapshots. “I’m not buying it for a second,” Nigel said. MJF started a chant of “Sportsmanship!” with a smile on his face. He then poked Cole in the eyes and smiled. A fan held up a sign that said, “He’s my scumbag!” MJF offered his hand to Cole who was sitting in the corner checking his eyesight. “That’s on me, friend,” said MJF. Cole slapped him and went on a flurry of offense including an enzuigiri and a shoulder breaker for a two count.

Cole pulled the ref into MJF’s path in the corner a minute later. MJF asked what he was doing. Cole went back on the attack, yanking MJF by his trunks into the corner. He settled into a headlock and yanked on MJF’s hair when MJF tried to escape.

Cole caught MJF with a superkick as MJF was running the ropes. Cole said, “We may be friends, but I’m better than you!”

MJF landed a dive through the ropes at ringside. MJF looked stunned that he pulled off the move. MJF threw Cole back into the ring and scored a two count. MJF soaked up the situation before standing. Cole reversed MJF into the corner, but MJF kicked Cole’s arms off the ropes and sunset flipped Cole. They went back and forth with one counts over and over.

Cole went for a leapfrog, but MJF caught him and powerbombed him, but lost his grip in the process. “That was ugly,” said Taz. With both men down and slow to get up, fans applauded.

They fought at ringside. Cole delivered a brainbuster suplex on MJF. MJF’s left shoulder landed on the edge of the ringside steps. It looked rough. MJF stayed face-down for a while at ringside. The ref counted toward ten as Cole paced in the ring with a look of concern. When the ref got to nine, MJF leaped into the ring. He stayed down, though. Cole stood by and made no effort to prevent a countout win, which wouldn’t have given him the belt.

MJF took control and set up Cole on the announce desk for a tombstone. MJF couldn’t do it, though, and set Cole down. He seemed conflicted. Excalibur said he couldn’t tombstone his best friend. Nigel called him a coward. Cole didn’t hesitate to give MJF a tombstone seconds later. Excalibur said it’s stunning that MJF doesn’t seem willing “to sink to the depths Adam Cole is” and he called it stunning.

Back in the ring Cole landed a pump kick. MJF fired back with a rolling elbow. Cole hit a Canadian Destroyer. As MJF was collapsing, he kicked Cole. Both were down and slow to get up. Both stood and ran the ropes and ducked each other. They called for a double clothesline and then they hit each other with simultaneous clotheslines. The ref counted both shoulders down. The ref told Roberts that both men’s shoulders were pinned on the mat, so the match is a draw. Fans exploded with boos.

Cole yanked the mic from Roberts and said, “No freakin’ way! MJF, five more minutes!” Fans chanted “Yes!” Excalibur wondered if MJF would grant Cole five more minutes. MJF said, “No.” Boos. “Five minutes isn’t enough, Adam!” He yelled, “We’re going until we have a winner in f—ing Wembley.” Cheers.

Cole rolled up MJF and yanked on his trunks. MJF rolled through and yanked on Cole’s trunks. MJF blocked a superkick. Cole charged and MJF ducked, but he knocked the ref down. MJF sat up, smiling. With the ref down, they threw a chair back and forth to each other, not wanting to get caught using it. MJF put the chair over his head and dropped down. Cole explained to the ref what happened. MJF attacked Cole and hit a Heat Seeker for a near fall.

MJF’s neck gave out as he tried to German suplex Cole on the ring apron. Cole then succeeded with is German suplex onto the ring apron. MJF fell to the floor. Cole then hit MJF with a Panama Sunrise on the floor. He dragged MJF back to the ring as some fans briefly chanted “Holy shit!” Cole scored a two count in the ring.

Cole set up another Panama Sunrise, but MJF yanked the ref into the path. Cole gave the ref a Panama Sunrise. Cole looked wide-eyed at the ref and seemed confused how that happened. MJF then reached into his trunks and pulled out his Dynamite Diamond Ring. He stood, but again seemed torn at what to do. He took off the ring and tucked it into his trunks. Excalibur said the friendship is more important to him.

Roderick Strong showed up and low-kicked MJF. Cole then gave MJF another Panama Sunrise. He then lowered his kneepad and landed the Boom. He made the cover, but the ref was still down. The ref crawled over and counted slowly to two before MJF kicked out. Fans cheered.

Strong slid the AEW Title belt to Cole and told him to use it. “Do it, Adam,” he said. Cole took off his t-shirt and threw it aside, then picked up the belt and stood behind MJF. He also seemed conflicted. He threw the belt aside. Strong left ringside as Cole yelled, “Get out of here!” MJF then small packaged Cole to retain the title. Cole sat up, realizing what his decision led to. Taz said, “There’s an old saying that no good deed goes unpunished. He did the right thing and paid for it.” Nigel said he did the wrong thing.

WINNER: MJF to retain the AEW World Champion.

-MJF consoled Cole afterward and said he got lucky. He told Cole to watch what he was about to do. He grabbed the ROH Tag Team Titles at ringside and brought them into the ring. “You still got these, buddy!” he said. Cole threw the belts aside in anger. MJF looked at him with frustration and said, “You never cared about you! You were never my friend!” He threw the AEW Title belt at him and told him to “f—in’ take it.” He turned his back and told him to “get it over with.” Cole picked up the belt. Strong stood on the ring apron and yelled at Cole to hit him. Cole dropped the belt. MJF turned around and saw Cole staring down at the belt. They moved in and embraced for 15 seconds. Fans cheered as their blended song played. Pyro blasted as they stood next to each other in the ring.

(The match was very good, but it felt throughout that the friendship storyline was looming over everything, for better or for worse. There were a lot of teases left and right of potential insincerity and turns that might have been too much for some. The finish in some ways felt flat yet it extends a storyline that is clicking with the fanbase, it seems. I’m curious if it’ll come out that this was planned all along.)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
PWTorch is told that in the aftermath of the incident between C.M. Punk and Jack Perry last night that Punk, in the heat of the moment, was threatening to quit AEW over his frustration with everything that happened. Punk has made it clear since his return that he wants a drama-free locker room environment; he has largely achieved that on Collision, although it has come with controversy because of his restrictions on whom he does and doesn’t want allowed backstage at Collision.

According to PWTorch sources, the production team in AEW was alerted to the possibility or concerned about possibly having having to change match order because of the incident, which happened right before Punk’s match against Samoa Joe on the PPV. There was brief concern there’d have to be a delay in the start of the show as they scrambled to produce a different opening match. Punk, though, quickly regrouped and went through with the match as scheduled.

When Punk and Perry crossed paths backstage after Perry’s match and before Punk’s match, eyewitness accounts characterize the exchange as starting with Punk asking Perry if they have a problem. Perry said that Punk started something online and that was his response to it.

That was a reference to the belief that Punk’s camp a few weeks ago put out info to try to make Perry look bad. A story surfaced that Perry wanted to use real glass in an angle and thta Punk provided “veteran wisdom” to steer him away from that. This was seen as an example of how Punk and his like-minded people with influence behind the scenes on Collision were trying to dial back gratuitous violence and high-risk situations so that when there is more violent imagery or more high-risk content in matches, it will mean more and resonate longer.

Perry felt that story getting out was an attempt by Punk and his camp to show him up or embarrass him, thus Perry decided to fire back with an unscripted, unapproved commented live on the Zero Hour PPV pre-show in the midst of his match against Hook.

Tony Khan announced at the All In post-even media Q&A that he was aware of a backstage incident and it would be investigated, but he wouldn’t have more to say about.

One veteran AEW wrestler tells PWTorch that Khan has fostered an environment where younger wrestlers without a lot of experience in the national spotlight feel free to “go into business for themselves” online or live on TV to try to settle scores or send messages. This actually has included veteran wrestlers, too. That same veteran wrestler does feel Punk overreacted to Perry and should have let it go, but believes more firm leadership would dissuade some wrestlers from sparking these situations.

Another AEW source close to management believes Perry, in this situation, will end up with more of the blame than Punk because he initiated the situation with his comments live during his match since he should’ve known it would cause an issue. Several people in AEW – wrestlers and people in other roles – are frustrated with the fact that a behind the scenes incident with Punk once again distracted from what they are touting as an excellent show and a high point in AEW’s history otherwise.

Since it was Perry who initiated it and because he, like everyone, should know that Punk doesn’t let those types of things slide, the blame could fall on him and he could end up facing ramifications. That is not meant to discount continued and growing frustration with Punk, though, whose leadership style is controversial and continues to lead to situations escalating in ways that could be easily avoided if he just let things slide and led by example or handled controversies is a less inflammatory manner.

It’s important to note that an internal investigation could lead to a different perspective on Perry, but PWTorch’s sources early belief is that Perry will face more ramifications than Punk.

The various accounts of the scuffle that PWTorch has heard and other sources are reporting are all similar, with the key difference being who is characterized as having initiated and escalated the situation to getting heated and physical.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Jesus what a bunch of lame ass soap opera drama.

But random off the wall news, CMLL is putting on a match at halftime of a Denver Broncos game this year ahead of the 90th Anniversary Show. They better sell Broncos lucha masks.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tony Khan is bad at running a major wrestling promotion.

Scratch that.

Tony Khan is bad at running two major wrestling promotions. ROH has pretty much just become the new AEW Dark, except the shows cost money now.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Khan is a moron to pick Jack Perry over Phil Brooks.

Collision was the last of the mainstream shows I could stomach.

Le sigh.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Khan is a moron to pick Jack Perry over Phil Brooks.

Collision was the last of the mainstream shows I could stomach.

Le sigh.
Punk is the one being a little bitch about everything. You can't punch your coworkers in front of your boss because they hurt your feelings.

Well, I guess Punk can because he already got away with it the last time he did this.

But you apparently can't punch your coworkers in front of your boss for hurting your feelings a second time.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
If Jungle Jackfruit would’ve said that to Bob Holly, or Stan Hansen there would’ve been a murder investigation.

famicommander

15 Year Member
If Jungle Jackfruit would’ve said that to Bob Holly, or Stan Hansen there would’ve been a murder investigation.
And that's fucking stupid.

If you're such a god damn pussy that someone making a backhanded shoot comment about you on television results in you needing to put them in a headlock and punch them in the face you're the problem. Especially coming from CM Punk, who quite literally built his entire brand and career on making those exact kind of backhanded shoot comments. What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander suddenly?

And we all know if it had been Samoa Joe or Anthony Ogogo or one of the other legitimate fighters on the roster Punk wouldn't have had shit to say. He only picks fights with 150 pound acrobats. He tried sucker-punched Perry for, essentially, calling him sensitive. But if Jake Hager had gone up on stage and recounted a list of every embarrassing moment of Punk's life then fucked his wife in the ass in the middle of the ring Punk wouldn't have hit him. He'd have stormed out and then whined about it on the internet like us a stupid bitch.

famicommander

15 Year Member
This wouldn't have happened if Tony had some balls.

Either way, let's see how long this lasts.
Yes it would have.

CM Punk was unhappy in ROH.
CM Punk was unhappy in TNA.
CM Punk was unhappy in WWE.
CM Punk was unhappy in AEW.

CM Punk spent the final 7 years of the prime of his wrestling career pretending to be a writer and a UFC fighter because he was up in his feelings.

And now he's 44 years old and can barely stay healthy. He managed 9 matches in 2021, 14 in 2022, and 10 in 2023. That's it. He's wrestled 33 matches since the end of 2014 and he still acts like he's a mix between prime Inoki, Hogan, and El Santo.

Tony Khan gave him 2 world title reigns, his own show, and let him get away with it the last time he did this exact same shit and he's still mad.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Jack still shouldn’t have done that, and is a self-serving prick for shitting on the business, during the biggest paid gate in the history of the business.

He sucks.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Jack still shouldn’t have done that, and is a self-serving prick for shitting on the business, during the biggest paid gate in the history of the business.

He sucks.
You mean like how CM Punk spent his entire WWE career shitting on John Cena, the Undertaker, Kurt Angle, and HHH?

It's like you suck your opinions right out of Jim Cornette's asshole.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I think for myself, thanks. Simmer down.

I’m not the biggest Punk fan, either.

My premise is that Jack was out of pocket since Jumpstreet on this.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I think for myself, thanks. Simmer down.

I’m not the biggest Punk fan, either.

My premise is that Jack was out of pocket since Jumpstreet on this.
There's no scenario where Jack is the bad guy here and I don't even watch his matches.

He hurt Punk's feelings so Punk sucker-punched him and choked him. Even though Punk said worse shit than Perry did on pretty much every live mic he's ever been handed in his entire career.

Remember when Punk went out there and buried the shit out of Colt Cabana , then sucker punched a Young Buck when Adam Page called him out on it?

Why didn't mr tough guy punch Colt or Page? Oh yeah, because Colt and Page are much bigger and stronger than he is.

Bottom line, if someone calling you sensitive causes you to react by hitting people... they were right and you're sensitive.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Someone with tenure needs to sit Jack down and teach him the proper way to handle himself.

Punk got what he what he deserved. He's an emotional bitch.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Someone with tenure needs to sit Jack down and teach him the proper way to handle himself.
He's been there since 2019 in Punk is literally the only guy who has ever had any beef with him. He did literally nothing wrong. Guys make fun of each other in promos all the time. It's how people get over these days. It's how MJF got over, it's how Punk got over, it's how the Young Bucks got over, it's how The Rock got over. Punk is just mad because now instead of making fun of HHH, he is HHH.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The only thing Jack did wrong was what he said during the match on camera without clearing it. He definitely instigated a confrontation.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The only thing Jack did wrong was what he said during the match on camera without clearing it. He definitely instigated a confrontation.
Shoot promos are nothing new and CM Punk is probably the most famous shooter in the history of the business. That's a whack ass argument.

Punk wants to have his cake and eat it too. To go out there and absolutely bury every single other person on the roster and in the business on the whole to put himself over, then throw a bitchfit when a young guy throws a light barb at him.

Perry didn't instigate shit. He went out there and did something that was entirely in-character and within bounds for a modern wrestling promotion. And Punk is so insecure that he doesn't even realize that Perry's barb wouldn't hurt him in any way. In 20 years Punk will still be remembered as a multiple time world champion and one of the biggest stars of his era. Absolutely nobody would've remembered Perry's comment, but in the short term it would've helped elevate Perry.

But instead this bitch fit will be the final memory most people in the business have of this guy. His Hall of Fame career ended early because he couldn't take what he dished out for his entire career.

And if I'm Perry, I go out there tonight in Chicago and cut a scathing promo about how I ran that pussy out of the company. Ironically this will elevate Perry even more than if Punk had just done the smart thing and shrugged it off.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Official statement from Tony Khan:

“Phil played an important role within AEW and I thank him for his contributions. The termination of his AEW contracts with cause was ultimately my decision, and mine alone. Of course, I wish I did not have to share this news, which may come as a disappointment to many of our fans. Nevertheless, I am making the decision in the best interests of the many amazing people who make AEW possible every week – our talent, staff, venue operators, and others whose efforts are unsung but essential to bringing our great shows on television and at arena and stadiums throughout the world.”

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
PWTorch editor Wade Keller reported last Tuesday that the incident at All In was believed internally to be the breaking point for Tony Khan, who tried so many ways to accomodate Punk, but was running out of patience with his volatitlity. Punk got into a physical altercation with Jack Perry backstage after Perry made a comment to the camera about using real glass in his match against Hook on the Zero Hour pre-show. Perry said, “Cry me a river” to the camera in reference to Punk not wanting to use real glass for a segment that was to be filmed backstage at Collision in July.

Punk also contronted Tony Khan backstage in front of others and in his locker room in a heated and intense manner. Punk chewed Khan out and told him he quit at one point, but he ended up going forward with his match against Samoa Joe, which opened All in.

EDIT: Tony Khan addressed the issue at the start of Collision tonight:

The show opened cold with Tony Khan making a pre-recorded statement on the termination of CM Punk. Tony said that he felt his security, his safety, and his life was in danger at a wrestling show. He said he didn’t wany anyone else to feel that way. He said the decision was made at the recommendation of a leadership council and attorneys. Tony said Collision and All Out would be great tonight. He called this the greatest week in AEW history. Tony then threw to a video package on All In.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Khan felt his life was in danger hahaha?

He thought CM Punk was gonna kill him?

The whole arena has security cameras. I wanna see the tapes.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Saw the pre-taped comments from Tony Khan before tonight's Collision show and he said in all the times at a wrestling show, it was the first time he felt that his well being was not safe along with his staff and all those who had nothing to do with the incident. At least Vince McMahon could take a punch and a beating if he had to :tickled:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
WWE Payback PLE Results: 9-2-23

Results courtesy of PWTorch.com (direct link to LeClair's real-time report).

(1) TRISH STRATUS vs. BECKY LYNCH – Steel Cage match

Becky Lynch and Trish Stratus stood on opposite ends of the ring as the bell rang. They approached one another in the center. Lynch looked for a lock-up, but Trish ducked her and rushed toward the door to escape. Becky quickly pulled her away. The two tossled in the corner. Becky walked the veteran from post-to-post, slamming her against each corner. Michael Cole noted that, despite the length of her career, Trish has never before competed in a steel cage match.

“The Man” delivered three consecutive Bex-Ploder Suplexes and dared Trish to stand. Stratus walked into more offense, but managed to rip Becky down to the mat by her hair. Trish immediately tried to climb the cage, but Becky met her quickly. The two teetered on the top rope, hanging onto the cage wall for balance. Becky knocked Trish back into the ring. Trish immediately pulled Becky off the cage. Stratus posed to the crowd for more boos.

Stratus ran Lynch from cage wall to cage wall, tossing her face haphazardly into the chain-link. She choked her against the middle rope, then contorted her face in the steel cage. “Get a close up!” she told the ringside camera. Trish called for the door to be opened, but Lynch quickly cut her off. Stratus dropped her foe with a clothesline and covered her for a two count just before 4:00. Trish used the wall of the cage as a weapon again. She tired Becky up in the middle ropes and applied a double fish-hook. “Cheese!” she said to camera. Trish patted herself on the back, riling the crowd up again. She slammed Becky’s head into the mat. Trish gave Becky some body kicks as she marched around the ring.
A small “Becky” chant grew from the crowd as Lynch pulled herself to her feet. She managed to counter Stratus and toss her into the wall of the cage. Lynch hoisted Stratus onto her shoulders and rammed her into the steel repeatedly. She dropped Trish and covered her for a two count. Becky immediately transitioned into the Dis-Arm-Her. Stratus managed to prevent her elbow from being fully straightened, allowing her to regain position and control. She tossed Lynch into the steel again, then leaned backward onto her hands in crab position. Lynch leg dropped her sternum and covered for two.

The two women fought onto the apron, sandwiched between the ropes and the steel. They traded head bounces off the wall. Lynch got the upper hand and Trish crumbled to the floor. Becky pulled her up by her hair and draped her over the top rope. She used the cage to steady herself, then delivered her signature leg drop, flipping Trish inside out. Becky hooked the leg for a near fall just after 8:30. Trish came up with a welt forming on her forehead. Becky gave no quarter, leaping onto Trish in the corner. Becky sat herself on the top turnbuckle. Trish leapt up to meet her in position for a ‘rana. Becky caught her. Trish wrapped her legs, then used her arms to hoist herself up onto the cage to try to escape. Lynch dropped off the turnbuckle and got underneath Trish, pulling her off the cage and delivering a Powerbomb for a stack cover and two count.

Both women were laid out on the mat. Lynch rose first, looking for a Man-Handle Slam. Trish blocked it. She bounced Lynch off the cage, then gave her a Widow’s Peak. She covered for a near fall. Cole noted that the first ever women’s steel cage match in WWE was Lita vs. Victoria, and the latter used the move as her finisher. Trish hooked Becky’s neck and set up for Stratusfaction. Becky spun out of it, grabbed Stratus and delivered a Twist of Fate for a cover and near fall of her own. Graves noted that it was, of course, an homage to Lita.

Lynch leapt to the middle rope and dove at Trish, but Stratus moved. Lynch telegraphed it and rolled through it. She came up lame on one knee. Trish grabbed her from behind and delivered Stratusfaction for a near fall. Growing frustrated, Trish slammed Becky’s face against the mat repeatedly. She began climbing the cage. Trish nearly got a leg over the top, but Lynch caught her at the last moment. The two teetered on the top rope again. Lynch grabbed on for a Man-Handle Slam, but Trish elbowed free. She turned it into a Bulldog off the top rope. She hesitated momentarily in making the roll-over cover, giving Lynch time to kick out at two-and-a-half.

Corey Graves noted that Stratus may have jammed her tailbone on the landing. She used the ropes to stand, again trying to ascend the cage. Lynch grabbed her leg, but Trish still got a leg over. Becky followed. The two women straggled the top of the cage, trading punches. Trish kicked Becky back into the ring and began her descent down the other side. Becky leapt up the cage wall and caught Trish by the hair. Trish’s leg got caught inside the piping of the cage. Becky threw a bunch. Trish flew backward, hanging upside down off the top of the cage. Becky pulled her back up. The two continued to trade punches, Trish teetering on the outside edge.

Trish freed her legs, but wound up trapped in Suplex position on Lynch’s shoulder. Becky delivered a mega-avalanche Suplex and threw an arm over Trish for a cover and last moment near fall at 17:10. Becky sat up first, trying to get her wits about her. A sizable “this is awesome” chant broke out. Becky began climbing the cage. Trish had just started to come to, she began crawling toward the door. Realizing Stratus would beat her to the escape, Lynch leapt off the cage and came to intercept Trish. Zoey Stark appeared, trying to help drag Trish out of the ring.

Stark pulled at Trish’s arms. Lynch pulled at her legs. Becky won the tug-o-war. She tried to escape, but Stark slammed the door in her face. Trish went for the Chick Kick, but Lynch ducked. She gave Trish a Man Handle Slam. Becky hooked the leg, but Zoey Stark broke up the pin. The Protege began dragging her mentor toward the door. Lynch stepped in the way and slammed the door shut. With Becky and Stark tied up, Trish began climbing the cage. Lynch managed to dispatch Stark long enough to rush to Trish. She pulled her from the cage wall and onto the top rope. Becky delivered the Man Handle Slam for a cover and three count.

WINNER: Becky Lynch in 19:59
Zoey Stark helped Trish Stratus to her feet as Becky Lynch celebrated outside the cage. Trish said something to Zoey and shoved her. Stark closed the cage door. Trish tried to attack, but Zoey quickly dropped her with Z360.