OSX Lion

Curt

apostate
Rrrrawr.

Anyone pick this up today?

Usually I don't get the updates right away because $100 isn't chump change. But at $29 I couldn't resist it.

Overall it's, meh... I think alot the improvements are going on behind the scenes.

I like the gestures, feels just like my iPad now. And mission control is cool, but it's just a smarter expose. Launchpad is cool, but again just like the iPad.

I can see this being a good update for people unfamiliar with the Macintosh Platform who are new converts from their iPods/iPads... They'll feel right at home.

The big star I think today is the Mac App Store. It worked flawlessly, I was really impressed. It's Steam but for Apple, theres even games. I wish they would have barn burning sales like Steam! :D

One thing I was disapointed in though is I tried to install it on my First Gen Intel iMac, and it said no dice... Core 2 duo or better. I guess that's kind of the death keel for the little champ, (It's been going strong for 6 years!)

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I believe the lack of Core (1) support is because it's 64-bit only. Launching Macs with Intel CPUs right BEFORE Intel was about to debut their AMD64 implementation was an awful idea.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I downloaded it just a minute or so after it became available, as I'd awaited it pretty anxiously. Now that I have it, not that much seems different ;) I don't need the Launch Pad, as I have all my programs in the Programs folder in my dock anyway, but there's definitely nothing that's worse now, so it's cool. I'm sure some advantage of the upgraded OS will come to light pretty soon.

On a related note: I upgraded my MacBook Pro from 4 to 8 GB RAM the other day (cost about $100 for 2x 4), and the improvement in performance is just great. My Mac is just over a year and a half old now, and it'd started using the fan a lot at times after I raped it with World of Warcraft for about 300-400 hours when the lid on the thing as closed. It would start making fan noise when I played a YouTube video, or if I had a lot of Flash heavy tabs open in Firefox. The RAM upgrade didn't show up at all on the Geekbench score, but now the fan is active much, much less, which is, like, you know, totally awesome ;) So go buy some cheap RAM for your Mac, if you haven't already.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I have not gotten it yet but probably will very soon. I am very interested in the new Mail app.

Installed it yesterday and so far so good. Seems a tad faster. Not really had time to check out the new stuff since I'm so busy working. I use a mouse 99% of the time so the Gesture stuff isn't really a big deal to me.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks like they trimmed a lot of fat - gained 5 gigs on both my machines post-install.

Not liking the new touch gesture yet. It used to be that all browsers supported three finger swipe for navigation - now, Safari does two finger for <- and -> and the other browsers dont respond to anything at all.

I wonder if the other browsers will implement their own two finger browsing gestures or not. Until then, I'll have to fuck around with better touch tool.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
That's pure crap. Try Ubuntu on your mac and nothing will be the same. I already did, and it resurrected an already dead Macbook Pro.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think I'll just buy it. I'm tired of pirating shit.

Does it matter if my Mac is 4 years old?

I honestly don't understand people wanting to pirate an OS that's being sold at $29. Seriously that's pretty lame.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I honestly don't understand people wanting to pirate an OS that's being sold at $29. Seriously that's pretty lame.

So is asking $29 for what's basically a service pack.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was all set to buy until people reported a crap load of compatibility problems with their current apps. I think I'll wait it out for the time being.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
The only incompatibility I've run into is my Win XP in VMware Fusion has trouble with one particular USB component, which I, of course, can't figure out what is. Makes a horrible amount of noise if my speakers are turned on.

Marek

Banned
Just installed Lion.

So far the cosmetic changes are annoying, as is the fact that it reversed my trackpad settings to inverted and I cant switch them at the moment.

I'll have to see about these other changes but so far its pretty meh.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Should get it free (legally) soon. So far I heard mostly negative things about it.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

I'm not surprised at the people here who pirate cheap shit like a $29 OS. The dregs of society congregate on this forum with their false sense of entitlement.