OVGE 2006 thread

What's your poison?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
OK, the OVGE site says there's setup on Saturday from 7am to 9am (when the show opens). I'll try to be there between 8 and 9.

Sorry jag, I live about 3 miles from Arkansas. :(

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm going to go get things started.

See you chaps tomorrow.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
So, I meet a lot of new people yesterday. Hope everyone had as great a time as I did.

Man, we should have had Melty Blood going the whole time! :lol:

I had a bunch of people asking if/where they could buy the games we were playing... I think next year we should at least have a couple copies of ps2 or xbox ports up for sale. Not for an insane $40+ or something, but rather for $20-$30 (unless they're used) just so other people could get into Neo gaming easier. I think a lot of people that come by are sort of put off by the overly technical stuff involved in setting up a MVS, or the price of an AES system. Most people that come to the show aren't quite as hardcore as we are. :D

Had a great time and can't wait until we do it again! Hopefully Playmore will start putting more ports on the Wii with online support, so we can play together more often. I'm not sure about the MS games they're releasing this fall, but I think they will have online play...

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
how about a few consoled mvs systems, a few ports ps2/ps3 and xbox/xbox2.... err 360

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
gamejunkie said:
So, I meet a lot of new people yesterday. Hope everyone had as great a time as I did.

Man, we should have had Melty Blood going the whole time! :lol:

I had a bunch of people asking if/where they could buy the games we were playing... I think next year we should at least have a couple copies of ps2 or xbox ports up for sale. Not for an insane $40+ or something, but rather for $20-$30 (unless they're used) just so other people could get into Neo gaming easier. I think a lot of people that come by are sort of put off by the overly technical stuff involved in setting up a MVS, or the price of an AES system. Most people that come to the show aren't quite as hardcore as we are. :D

Had a great time and can't wait until we do it again! Hopefully Playmore will start putting more ports on the Wii with online support, so we can play together more often. I'm not sure about the MS games they're releasing this fall, but I think they will have online play...

I had a similar talk with Jesse after the show. He asked if we made any money and I told him that we have never made any money because we don't sell anything.

I think next year your idea would work pretty well. I think most people who show aren't your typical ROM whores so they'd probably buy something.

I saw some weirdo with a consolized 4 slot in a backpack wandering around trying to sell it.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Magnaflux said:
I saw some weirdo with a consolized 4 slot in a backpack wandering around trying to sell it.

WTF, that's awesome! :lolz:

I've been playing Melty Blood some more... Using the vampire little girl you can get something like 5 cats walking across the screen at once. It's pretty funny. :tickled:

I've decided the guy who floats around and does ghost version of other charater's moves is pretty unfair to other players... Every one of his basic hits will land from across the screen from the air or on the ground. :oh_no:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Did anyone get any pictures of this year's event? I meant to bring my camera but forgot. :(

Radiac

Mr. Big's Thug
There's plenty of pics on DP. Check the events and gatherings thread. Flack's and Altair Boy's blogs also have pics and mini reviews of the show.

i had a excellent time! its what introduced the neo geo to me!sorry if im acting cheesy or lame but, as you can tell this is my first post! im going the mvs route via supergun.
anywhoo
-jeni

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
It seems like most of the guys over there didn't really care about the Neo booth... They were more into the vintage computer displays.

I emailed the pictures I found to myself, so I'll upload them to imageshack when I get home (internet's too slow here).

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
maxdustinfy2.jpg

s5000192tg5.jpg

s5000202fx5.jpg

s5000515bt4.jpg

s5000562vq9.jpg

Radiac

Mr. Big's Thug
gamejunkie said:
It seems like most of the guys over there didn't really care about the Neo booth... They were more into the vintage computer displays.

I emailed the pictures I found to myself, so I'll upload them to imageshack when I get home (internet's too slow here).

The crowd at DP is definitely more into the retro stuff. Personally I really liked the old computers as well. It's cool to see that stuff as there is zero chance of running into anything like that around here.

It was a little dissapointing to see so little talk about your guys booth though. It was definitely one of the coolest there. For it's hardcore factor if nothing else.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
dir_en_grey said:
i had a excellent time! its what introduced the neo geo to me!sorry if im acting cheesy or lame but, as you can tell this is my first post! im going the mvs route via supergun.
anywhoo
-jeni

I'm not sure if I got to meet you... I was the guy with the ps2 full teh romz! :kekeke:

Glad to hear about the mvs.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Radiac said:
The crowd at DP is definitely more into the retro stuff. Personally I really liked the old computers as well. It's cool to see that stuff as there is zero chance of running into anything like that around here.

It was a little dissapointing to see so little talk about your guys booth though. It was definitely one of the coolest there. For it's hardcore factor if nothing else.

I got there at about 9:30 or so on Saturday and I'm not sure if all the stuff was sold already or what, but there wasn't near as much stuff over at the Commodore table as the pictures show. Nor was there at any other tables...

Come to think about it, I think I've seen the Altair on the History channel. Was it a homebrew computer kit?

Radiac

Mr. Big's Thug
gamejunkie said:
I got there at about 9:30 or so on Saturday and I'm not sure if all the stuff was sold already or what, but there wasn't near as much stuff over at the Commodore table as the pictures show. Nor was there at any other tables...

Come to think about it, I think I've seen the Altair on the History channel. Was it a homebrew computer kit?

Apparently all the decent stuff changed hands on Friday night during setup. Flack (the commodore guy) alone made $200 on Friday.

As far as the Altair from what I understand it was one of the first home computers that was not a kit. They were hand built by like a crew of less than ten people in Albuquerqe. Altair Boy told me at the show that many of the wires inside them were hand woven. :eek:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Radiac said:

I was a bit surprised as well. It seems the demographic may be changing?

Our first three years had the booth packed for 7-8 hours of the day, I don't know what happend this year. We had a dozen people in the '98 tournament whereas last year we only had 10 or so.

Another thing to consider is that many of the die-hard fighting fans were at EVO over the weekend.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures of the Neo stuff up close. I was too busy talking to Dustin instead of taking pictures. I've never played a Neo before the show, the ports yes original no. There was nothing there I couldn't live without, but did buy a few things. Folks are right, quite a bit of merchandise moved Friday night. I ended up selling/giving a ton of stuff to Smitty for a great deal. I'd love to bring some stuff next year for folks to play, mostly Saturn/DC imports. It's a long time away, but that's my plan for now. I just need to start picking up some cheap TVs along the way.

As for the Altair, it was a kit or you could get them assembled according to Altairboy. The brown terminal assembeled was $1500 and the blue box to the left was $3000 IIRC from what he told me.