Pacific Rim

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Haven't seen a thread for this forthcoming movie. Basically, Evangelion as done by way of Guillermo Del Toro minus all the existential stuff.

Here's the first trailer. Looks fucking awesome.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I choose to look at it not as Evangeleon but as Godzilla vs. Mecha Godzilla by Del Toro.

A US kaiju movie done right.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Holy shit that looks fantastic. Cant wait to see this one.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Looks really cool.

Gotta agree it looks more like Godzilla but thats not a criticism whatsoever.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Wow. I wanna watch this one as soon as it comes out.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Yeah reminds me of Evangelion. I'm definitely going to see this.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
My uncle at ILM has been telling me about how badass this movie is going to be and the trailer solidified it. Count me in.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Looks badass! Should be pretty cool, especially if Guillermo Del Toro is directing.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The rocket fist punch and the giant robot being knocked through the bridge and then coming up to a sliding stop on its heels were pure giant robot anime goodness. These are the kinds of tiny details that show off the film's obvious invluences and also indicate that Del Toro understands the genre and knows how to communicate those things in a live action film.

A bunch of subtle nods to geek culture don't necessarily make for a great film, but it's reassuring to know that they've got their finger on the pulse of the genre.

A little unsolicited opining about EVA follows:

As for Evangelion, I don't consider it preachy at all. It's just all very, very melodramatic. I still like the series and believe everyone who is a fan of anime should watch it at least once. Including The End of Evangelion, which I feel is a fantastic movie and, perhaps, the only fitting end to that series. So it's not a happy ending. The series' rather depressing point is that what people need to be satisfied is different for each individual. Shinji had the means to make the world into anything he wanted at the end but he couldn't make it a happy place because he was not, at heart, a happy person. He was lonely, abandoned, depressed and miserable. That's what he was comfortable with, for whatever fucked up reasons explain it. So that's the world he made. One in which he felt irrationally safe because he didn't have to change who he was. Sucks for the rest of us, but we weren't given the power now, were we?

I am down with these new EVA movies and have enjoyed the first two so far. But to be honest, I don't need Gainax to 'rewrite' EVA. I'm content with the original version's themes and outcome. Maybe Hideaki Anno wouldn't have written that ending had he been in a better place in life, but art is a reflection of the creator's soul at the time of ralization and whatever metaphysical and spiritual flailing he was doing at the time, EVA was the result.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Your right, overly dramatic is probably a more apt description. The drama is part of what makes it such a great series, they just lay it on a little thick at times.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Your right, overly dramatic is probably a more apt description. The drama is part of what makes it such a great series, they just lay it on a little thick at times.

I won't argue that at all. the angst Evangelion needs its own plug suit.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
that was one of the best things i've ever seen

this movie is going to kick ass

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Release date is 7/13/13 acordingto Wiki.

Here is a little blurb about the basic premise taken from the wiki page.

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, start rising from the sea, a war begins that takes millions of lives and consumes humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon is devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers prove nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My wife went nuts for the Pacific Rim trailer, and made me watch it. Definitely looks like fun. After seeing that Del Toro interview where they went inside his house, I can see how he'd come up with this and really get a lot of the homage to robot anime right.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Saw this preview when I watched the Hobbit, It was fucking glorious. I knew nothing about this movie till then, I'll be seeing it for sure, looks fantasical.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hmm...Robot Jox 2013 huh? Well see. It looks pretty but lets see if they make a plot to go with it...

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Hmm...Robot Jox 2013 huh? Well see. It looks pretty but lets see if they make a plot to go with it...

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, start rising from the sea, a war begins that takes millions of lives and consumes humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon is devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers prove nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
yes, DEAR GOD, FUCKING YESSSS

Is it just me or that robotic voice is the voice from portal!?!?!?!?! :eek:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Im more excited about Oblivion truth be told...but even that is slightly iffy...