PC Engine Controllers

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
There's the standard controller, the 6-button Avenue pad, and the 6-button rapid fire one...

I only have experience with the standard controller. How are the other two? Any advantages over the 2-button (outside of Street Fighter obvs)?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Ave pad doesn't have rapid fire switches?

I've not had any experience with those but the Ave Pad 3 is a godsend, you can map SEL/RUN to III in unsupported software so stuff like firing grenades in Silent Debuggers gets less awkward. Should have been the default controller from the beginning, imo, given the number of games that use RUN as a third button.

fake

15 Year Member
Ave pad doesn't have rapid fire switches?

I've not had any experience with those but the Ave Pad 3 is a godsend, you can map SEL/RUN to III in unsupported software so stuff like firing grenades in Silent Debuggers gets less awkward. Should have been the default controller from the beginning, imo, given the number of games that use RUN as a third button.

Both 6-button ones have rapid fire, but I don't know if the non-Avenue one has an official name, so I just called it the 6-button with auto fire. I forgot about the Avenue 3. How is the d-pad? Any different from the 2-button?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Both 6-button ones have rapid fire, but I don't know if the non-Avenue one has an official name, so I just called it the 6-button with auto fire. I forgot about the Avenue 3. How is the d-pad? Any different from the 2-button?

It's basically the same, yeah, no complaints from me on that department. I think the Duo-RX 6-button has a reputation for a dpad made for visual novels (aka not very good) so be careful if you're buying it.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
the 6 button dpad feels weird, I just use a micomsoft xe-1 pro with my pce.

fake

15 Year Member
It's basically the same, yeah, no complaints from me on that department. I think the Duo-RX 6-button has a reputation for a dpad made for visual novels (aka not very good) so be careful if you're buying it.

Ah OK. That was the one I had my eye on since it looks really cool. But I guess I'll pass if the d-pad sucks.

I'd love to get a XE-1 HE Pro but I don't have $300 sitting around. I'd imagine modding a Namco stick or something would be cheaper.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's possible but it's been years since I opened it. With some basic soldering skills you should be fine.