PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Devils Crush is still my goto game.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Aaaah the pinball game, I love that arrange soundtrack someone made (has been posted here).

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've been playing a lot of Kunio Kun Dodgeball on the PC Engine. I loved the NES game, but this version just runs smooth as butter.

Ren-chan

Let's bump this thread a bit....

Sooo what's your favourite music from this system?
I love Lords of Thunder soundtrack <3

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Great soundtracks:

Final Soldier
Gunhed
Gate of Thunder
Override
Dead Moon
Lords of Thunder

Ren-chan

This system games got quite an incredible soundtrack. They had an eye for electric guitars :P

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Obviously Dracula X, Lords of Thunder, and Ys Book 1 and 2.

Magical Chase also has an excellent soundtrack in my opinion, as does Dynastic Hero.

There's so many. The PC Engine is the music lovers console. That's part of the reason I love it so much.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
Shinsetsu Shiawase Usagi has a great soundtrack and good voice acting.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Gate of Thunder is boss. Y's 1 & 2 definitely fit the bill and Dracula X is a no brainer. I thought Star parodier did the business for what kind of game it was (cute shmup parody), while Ninja Spirit really sticks in the craw as well; full of ominous tunes that are very memorable.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
spriggan is the best shooter on the system imo and down load is pretty sweet to. neutopia 1 and 2 are some of the best zelda clones that i have played.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I agree there are many, many awesome soundtracks on the Engine, on CD as well as Huey.

Anyway, my pick, next to obligatory "Gate of Thunder", is "NeXZr". I just love the OST.....it's incredible and fits this highly polished game perfectly.

Jist check this out: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZVW4_9XbA

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't see why Gate of Thunder is "obligatory".

It sounds like a bunch of session musicians playing mediocre rock songs. I get why people like Lords/Winds, but Gates is mentioned almost as frequently and it's so lame.

I do love the Nexzr ost though.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
It was at the CD-ROM forefront. I don't think that's enough to make any console "the music lovers console".

zOcw8eC.gif

Ren-chan

I never played/seen any PC Eninge game (besides images) till I was really interested on getting one, it was so rare on my place and back in that time I couldn't afford one and at the end I lost a bit of interest on it. I checked several videos, user comments on this forum and on the pcenginefx, etc making me want to get one "right meow" lol... once getting the system at home it's where I noticed several games had quite an awesome music. Never before heard about the "music lovers console" hehe.

Damn, must have been really awesome to have this system back when it was new :(
I really envy you guys when you tell how many years ago got your systems and such :( wish I had this system 10 years earlier...

Edit:
My english sux... v___v

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I don't see why Gate of Thunder is "obligatory".

(...) but Gates is mentioned almost as frequently and it's so lame.

Well, that explains it. :D

And I love the "Gate" OST but you know, opinions and such...

Damn, must have been really awesome to have this system back when it was new :(
I really envy you guys when you tell how many years ago got your systems and such :( wish I had this system 10 years earlier.

Don't envy. Enjoy!

I got a Turbo Duo from my parents but it was at a time when PSX and Saturn were close, and at that time I didn't really appreciate the 8-Bit awesomeness since I had a ton of SNES and Mega Drive games already. Yeah, stupid kid-me. :)

I mostly wanted it for a near arcade perfect "Galaga '88" but I stopped collection for the system almost immediately and just had the ten games or so I got back then.

What I'm getting at here: When I returned to the system about two years ago it was completely and totally awesome, and I'm addicted ever since. I've had the system modded so I can play Japanese HuCards without that adaptor, and playing on the PCE/TD has been a pure bliss. Don't fret about the missed experiences back then....get into it now and just enjoy!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
spriggan is the best shooter on the system imo and down load is pretty sweet to. neutopia 1 and 2 are some of the best zelda clones that i have played.

I was so hype to play Spriggan for the first time ever and after playing it I was sorta let down, not 'cause the game is bad, not at all, the game is good but not the opus I was hoping it would have been.

So far Lords of Thunder is my favorite but I have to admit I'm very much new to the PC Engine, for the longest time all I play was Rondo of Blood 'cause I love the series, also I played some hue cards through emulation, really enjoyed the usual suspects like the Soldier series and what have you. I still have yet to play some classics a friend left me here, I feel awful 'cause I've had them for a week and I've only played 2, Gradius II and Spriggan...Gradius II is great, loved it, but I've already played Gradius II on other setups, however I love Gradius so much I couldn't help but play it first...lol.

I also have an everdrive so I've been spamming it with Ninja Spirit, getting close to a 1CC...PC Engine mode of course...arcade mode eludes me :(

Last edited: