PC Engine/Turbografx Beginner Tips

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Yesterday I tried Steam Heart's and found out that there is a Saturn version. Now I want both :( fml

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Nice looking DUO-R you got there. For the DUO-R you want the Arcade Card DUO.

Ironic that three SNK fighters got an Arcade Card CD port - they're worth a try just to see the clever resolution-swap trick Hudson did to pull off the close-up zoom. Sapphire is an ACD must-play of course, and I thought Strider was a good port as well.

Ren-chan

I always heard the PC-E port for Strider was quite "meh...", neways I never liked Strider :(

Sapphire looks really awesome, can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately it's quite an expensive game :(

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I always heard the PC-E port for Strider was quite "meh...", neways I never liked Strider :(

Sapphire looks really awesome, can't wait to try it out. Unfortunately it's quite an expensive game :(

Strider isn't as bad as people make out, but it isn't good by any means. The Megadrive version is much better IMO...not that it matters because you don't like Strider :)

Ren-chan

When I bought the system I wanted to start with Gate of Thunder and Castlevania, now that I tried them and saw others like Steam Heart's, Riot Zone and such... I am looking for other good games and had in mind to try today Chiki Chiki Boys. What do you think? Good (not master pieces) ones to try, the average 6-7 out of 10 game.

Edit:
sigh, why my english sucks so bad? lol

Last edited:

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
When I bought the system I wanted to start with Gate of Thunder and Castlevania, now that I tried them and saw others like Steam Heart's, Riot Zone and such... I am looking for other good games and had in mind to try today Chiki Chiki Boys. What do you think? Good (not master pieces) ones to try, the average 6-7 out of 10 game.

Edit:

Check out the Valis games - I have 2-4 and 3 is my favorite out of the group. I ordered the original as well, which is a remake.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member

Burn your own copy, there's no copy protection on PCE.

Ren-chan

Burn your own copy, there's no copy protection on PCE.

Yeah, I'm doing that nowadays. Prior to buy anything I am seeing how it looks like since I am seeing some expensive games on ebay for instance.
I bought Dragon Ball since that was a must for me, now I am seeing what other non expensive games I like to start geting some eventually. The big ones, will prolly wait for a friend to go to Japan to get me a couple.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Ugh this whole thread makes me really miss my Duo-RX. I can't decide on settling for some raspberry pi emulator setup or diving back in.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Ugh this whole thread makes me really miss my Duo-RX. I can't decide on settling for some raspberry pi emulator setup or diving back in.

You gotta do what you gotta do to play that sweet sweet Toilet Kids.

Ren-chan

Guys, I have been seeing constantly the "OBEY" word quite a lot, googling it I reached quite a simple answer "just play the PC-E games", is that really the answer or it has another meaning?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Edit:

Chiki Chiki Boys is awesome. But... It's way too expensive and the Genesis version is a near perfect arcade port. The only real difference from my understanding between the PCE and Genesis versions are that the genny version is one player and PCE version can be played 2 player.

There is also an arcade perfect port in the psp capcom collection. Which is super cheap and has a ton of great games.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Guys, I have been seeing constantly the "OBEY" word quite a lot, googling it I reached quite a simple answer "just play the PC-E games", is that really the answer or it has another meaning?

obeypcenigne.jpg

JohnnyTurboPCEObey_zpsc34e8b05.png

HarrySkyrimPCE1_zpse6219806.png

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What are people's thoughts on Gulliver Boy? I've read good reviews but is it very text heavy? Can it be accepted and played despite not understanding Japanese?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Gulliver boy is text heavy. You could play it and muddle through without Japanese language knowledge but I doubt that it'll be enjoyable. It is a nice little rpg though, with some nice fmv sections.

Ren-chan

I love Lords of Thunder so much <3
PC Engine games got awesome musics :buttrock:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Any fans of Splash Lake? The little kid music is initially a turn off, but if you give the game a chance then you'll find that it's a clever, devious, highly-enjoyable puzzle game-especially 2 player.

Any other PCE hidden gems that we all should know about?

Ren-chan

Yesterday I bought an arcade card for my DUO, it's on its way to home... will take like a couple of weeks from Japan :)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Any fans of Splash Lake? The little kid music is initially a turn off, but if you give the game a chance then you'll find that it's a clever, devious, highly-enjoyable puzzle game-especially 2 player.

Any other PCE hidden gems that we all should know about?

There are quite a few Splash Lake fans over on the pcenginefx forums. It is a pretty good game, although I prefer Spin Pair.

I've been watching Dracula X eBay auctions lately, I only see one copy on eBay right now. I predict it to be over $200.00 real soon. It's jumped really fast. Glad I snagged mine cause people who own that game are going to hold onto it.

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
There are quite a few Splash Lake fans over on the pcenginefx forums. It is a pretty good game, although I prefer Spin Pair.

I've been watching Dracula X eBay auctions lately, I only see one copy on eBay right now. I predict it to be over $200.00 real soon. It's jumped really fast. Glad I snagged mine cause people who own that game are going to hold onto it.

I have been trying to grab a copy at a reasonable price and have had no luck, I put an offer on one last night and someone directly jumped offers and did buy it now =( I am going to try a WTB here and hope someone is ready to let go of a copy.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I have been trying to grab a copy at a reasonable price and have had no luck, I put an offer on one last night and someone directly jumped offers and did buy it now =( I am going to try a WTB here and hope someone is ready to let go of a copy.

Yeah I said screw it and dropped $165.00 on it about a month ago cause I saw the madness beginning. If anything it's money in the bank. I posted a wanted thread here with no luck. People on these types of forums just don't want to sell such a great game until it gets ridiculous. I do wish you luck though. I would set eBay alerts on your phone and save a dracula x search. Then I would email directly some of the Japan sellers or even check yahoo Japan. I would ask paletth, supremearticlesfromjapan, Yamatoku, and especially Peter Rabbit Hamu, he seems to be cheap.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
fromjapan2010 is good, too. If he doesn't have a copy listed he'll find one for you.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Thanks for the info guys. I had the eBay alerts up but didn't want to pay 192 shipped, someone else had no problem though lol

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Maybe check with windygaming.com or retroasia.com and see if they can special order it for you. I got mine for a really reasonable price that way. Ebay is always going to have a premium.