PC gaming enthusiasts - Problem with video card

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Recently installed BFG Tech 8800GTS OC, games look good for the most part but I'm not sure how to optimize the performance. I'm getting pop-in textures even in low demand games such as BF2, which I never got with my old 7900GT.

Of course, having the same problem with newer games such as Crysis and Oblivion. Distant trees will pop in models, and textures and vegetation pop like crazy in outdoor areas as you move toward them. Distant hillsides look like Nintendo 64 graphics while most up close textures look fine.

For some weird reason, now Crysis looked better on medium with my old card than it does now. Something is definitely fucked up, and I know the card can do better overall.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I bet you could figure this out for yourself if you weren't so dumb and ugly.

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Try reinstalling your drivers. If that doesn't work, take it back to the store, sounds like a broken videocard.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
If you haven't already done so, make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers (as mentioned above), and also the most up to date DirectX possible. If you're having problems with textures not loading after that, you may have a defective card. See if you can RMA/exchange it?

I have that same model card, though from a different manufacturer. I have noticed some improper texture loading in a few games, but nothing as severe as you have mentioned. I'm guessing you downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia.com and not from the install disc right? Just making sure.

Last edited:

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
I bet you could figure this out for yourself if you weren't so dumb and ugly.

Why the fuck haven't you been on AIM you jezebel?

If you haven't already done so, make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers (as mentioned above), and also the most up to date DirectX possible. If you're having problems with textures not loading after that, you may have a defective card. See if you can RMA/exchange it?

I have that same model card, though from a different manufacturer. I have noticed some improper texture loading in a few games, but nothing as severe as you have mentioned. I'm guessing you downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia.com and not from the install disc right? Just making sure.

Yeah, just the latest driver from nvidia.com

I'm not sure about my DirectX version, I'll check that out.

BFG actually sent me this card when I sent them my broken 7900GT...they have just about the best customer service ever.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
BFG actually sent me this card when I sent them my broken 7900GT...they have just about the best customer service ever.

did it cost any extra?

i wonder what ill get if i send in my 6800oc.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
did it cost any extra?

i wonder what ill get if i send in my 6800oc.

Nope just shipping.

As long as your card is actually broken, they should be able to do something for you. Mine was crashing games, artifacting, the works.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Wierd. The exact same thing was common a few years ago with SIS motherboard chipsets and 6600GT/6800GT cards. The hardware was fine. SIS just never bothered to fix it even though Nvidia tried.

I'd try completely removing all traces of old Nvidia drivers, then install the latest ones. You could also try getting underclocking the card to see if that gets rid of them. After that, it might be RMA time again :(