Persona 3 coming out this Wednesday

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
I think this one's worth your time, people (assuming you like Japanese RPGs)

Here's my review http://www.blinkysrus.com/?p=337

The initial release of the game will come with art book and soundtrack. Anyone else going to being picking this one up?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I think I am going to be weak and not be able to resist.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for this game. Picking it up for sure.

Nice write up.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm looking forward to it... I have no problem with insane difficulty in an RPG. Quick question though... why blame Atlus for the cheap deaths? They are just a publisher as far as I know... it would be the developer doing that, right?

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
neojedi said:
I'm looking forward to it... I have no problem with insane difficulty in an RPG. Quick question though... why blame Atlus for the cheap deaths? They are just a publisher as far as I know... it would be the developer doing that, right?

Atlus is also the developer in this case (specifically, their R&D 1 division, which handles just about everything Megaten-related, main series or otherwise).

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Yes, it would be very unreasonable to blame the publisher for game flaws. But as Korigama pointed out, I was referring to the developer, Atlus Japan in this case.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Good read but I didnt need that to know I was buying this first thing wednesday morn!!!!

O.

Winter_07

New Challenger
Count me in on purchasing this one too. I hope it's as good as part 2 was.

-Winter.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
The more I hear about this the more I want it

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Of course I'm getting it.:)

I plan out beating it once and playing it again right away so I can beat Elizabeth. BTW, there is a great video on Youtube of someone beating her on the Japanese version. Looks tough...but, not as tough as Hitoshura or Satan.

Jon

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
There's lots of hardcore hype for this one. I didn't care for 1 way back in the day, but I'll give it a try.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Yeah, I've been waiting for this game for close to eight years now, I'll be picking my copy up first thing Wednesday morning.

It's disappointing that Kaneko isn't handling the character designs for this entry into the series, but from what I've seen the art is still pretty much fantastic, with style and atmosphere that seems to match up to the excellent predecessors Persona II: Eternal Punishment and Innocent Sin. From every single review I've read, Atlus has really raised the bar for the series with this chapter in the Megaten franchise, and I can't wait to get my mits on it to see if it lives up to the hype.

With all the incredibe RPGs Atlus its R&D1 studio have put out for the PS2, it's been impossible for me to become interested in any other RPGs, aside from the fantastic Shadow Hearts series.

Anyway, can't wait till Wednesday!

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
GregN. said:
There's lots of hardcore hype for this one. I didn't care for 1 way back in the day, but I'll give it a try.

Considering the horror stories surrounding the localization of the first game for the US, that's not too surprising (seriously, it was a disaster).

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looks like it's pushed back to the 18th. (Sat.?!) I normally would just rent it from Gamefly, but I have a feeling the force is strong with this one, so I pre-ordered it.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Confusing... Atlus forums is saying it shipped today, but a lot of retailers are saying their ship date is the 18th and stock date is the 19th.

Inzaghi said:
SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI®: PERSONA 3™ NOW SHIPPING ACROSS NORTH AMERICA!
Locked away in the human psyche is power beyond imagination...

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA — AUGUST 14th, 2007 — Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of interactive entertainment, today announced that Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, the long anticipated new entry in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series, is now shipping to retailers across North America!

Enormously successful in Japan, P3 is the newest RPG from the publisher of the acclaimed Shin Megami Tensei series. After eight long years of anticipation, the wait is over! Moreover, every copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 is a deluxe edition package, featuring a 52-page full color art book and soundtrack CD!

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 has been rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB for Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, and Violence.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I pre-paid for this as well, but I'm worried...

Persona 3 this week
Bioshock next week
Metroid 3 after that..

Not to mention that I'm currently working on Okami and Rumble Roses XX right now... I need a vacation...

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Just played this for a few minutes, but the art, everything is looking great. PLAY magazine gave it a 9.5 if anyone cares. Wish there were more ps2 games like this (anime + dark + semi serious tone [SMT]). Really looking forward to the SMT games that'll be coming out for ps3 in the years to come. Anyone else playing this yet?

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
I managed to squeeze about an hour in last night and just as I expected, the game is fantastic.

The school segments are fun and addicting, they add a good variety to the day to day gameplay, and with a bit of trivia and varying activities thrown in the days never seem like filler. The atmosphere in these segments is typically lighthearted, at least so far. Dealing with high school cliches like dating, cheating on tests, and making friends. Up until the dark hour, you almost seem like your average nobody. As soon as midnight hits though, the game becomes a macabre journey into the darkness where taking tests takes back seat to slaying the demonic forces of Tartarus.

The music is gah-damn incredible. From lounge and funk to hip hop and j-pop, the audio variety in this game is fantastic. Every track is catchy and matches the style and mood of the particular scene flawlessly. I'm glad the game came with a soundtrack because I have a feeling I'll be listening to it quite a bit. Possibly one of the catchiest soundtracks since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. Hopefully the Satomi Tadashi Pharmacy tune will make it into the game at some point. That'd be solid gold.

I probably won't get another chance to play the game until tomorrow night, but I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most different and enjoyable RPGs to be released in quite some time. P3 has the potential to raise the already high bar that Atlus has been supporting with its MegaTen franchise, and lift it into the stratosphere.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm 7 hours in so far. I haven't been addicted to a game like this in a long time. Game of the year in terms of presentation and fun, though I'm waiting to see how the dungeon gameplay turns out. The dungeon hasn't tested me yet because of how easy it is to find and exploit weaknesses, but that's usual for SMT... that series lets you kill anything you want early on, then when you have built up your confidence they throw something like The Matador at you and destroy it. ;)

Strangely enough, I'm getting a River City Ransom vibe from the town-based gameplay.

Edit: Right after I wrote the part about the dungeon not being hard yet, I ran into the Reaper. :lolz:

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
Ive got it. Still shrink wrapped and havent had a chance to play it yet!!!! Fucking work!!!!

O.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Finally have mine. Only about an hour or so into it now, though.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Picked up my copy on friday, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Big SMT fan so I'm looking forward to it alot.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
11 hours shifts and two jobs have still kept me from getting a chance to play. Wednesday cant get here any sooner.

O.