Picard

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, it was ok. Could have done without the gore/shock scenes and the making 7 of 9 a lesbian crap they slipped in right at the end to earn their woke points from the degenerates.. or the blackish lady that is the token blasphemy/profanity generator.

Patrick Stewart is still a great actor. The blonde android doctor chick is unattractive and annoying.

I miss Dark Matter's Android, and how mid series they gave her an emotion upgrade so she didn't have to act like an android anymore.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah, it was ok. Could have done without the gore/shock scenes and the making 7 of 9 a lesbian crap they slipped in right at the end to earn their woke points from the degenerates.. or the blackish lady that is the token blasphemy/profanity generator.

Patrick Stewart is still a great actor. The blonde android doctor chick is unattractive and annoying.
I saw that little lesbian reference there. Eyerolls aplenty.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
shit show. the disgusting, greasy touch of the STD writers is all over it.

oh and that little lesbian hand holding at the end, wow so STUNNING and BRAVE

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah...this one is a hard pass from me. I've read enough negative to see that it won't appeal to me, no use going through the trouble of watching it. Better off watching ST-TNG reruns.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah...this one is a hard pass from me. I've read enough negative to see that it won't appeal to me, no use going through the trouble of watching it. Better off watching ST-TNG reruns.
I mean, it's watchable enough to get more Picard and Data, and closure for Data. But in hindsight, it wasn't that great.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I enjoyed the finale. Wasn't perfect, but it landed the beats it needed to really well.

The scenes with Picard and Data were extraordinary, and perfect character moments for them. I'm glad that Data finally got a proper sendoff instead of just being 'sploded real good at the end of Nemesis.

The resolution to the giant conflict not involving violence or a giant space battle was the perfect way to end it. Picard did his Picard thing to once again save the galaxy, and finished his character arc of redemption and being useful quite well. Not sure about him being a sack of meat android, but it was a very Trek story beat.

Seeing Riker in a Starfleet uniform again talking mad shit to Oh was great, and I hope we'll get to see more of him again in the future. Frakes has still got it.

As for what I didn't like, the Romulan and Starfleet ships all looked the same. I'm guessing it was a time and budget thing, but from TNG onward, any fleet of ships has always had a wide variety of classes and sizes. Going the copy and paste route was really jarring. Not a fan of the industrial designs they used either.

Raffi and Seven holding hands was just...weird. I mean, if they're bi and into each other that's totally fine, but it just came out of nowhere. Planting the seeds for any kind of a relationship in a story is better served by giving it some build up and attention, not just a random "WTF" at the end of an episode.

Narek was completely forgotten about in the second half of the finale. Just poof, gone. No mention about him from other characters. I expected at least a blurb or two about him from the other characters wondering where the fuck he went.

Anyways, I'm really excited for season two. Now that the characters are established, they can focus more on the stories and less about exposition and character introduction.

I highly recommend checking out Michael Chabon's Instragram. He answers a lot of fan questions and fills in a lot of plot gaps.

https://www.instagram.com/michael.chabon/?hl=en

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The dialog between Picard and Data at the end was really nice, and a great send off, a friend helping a friend become what he wanted. There was some other stuff in there that I was kinda "whatever" with but the Riker appearance saying "You expect me to stay in the woods and cook pizza?!" That got a good chuckle out of me.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I get it, but i don't get it. It absolutely felt like a TNG season finale tho.

-little perturbed the orchids are basically the Thargoids from my favorite space sim - Elite Dangerous
elitedangerous_thargoid-580x326.jpg

-Data did a TON of stupid shit trying to be more human. How is this last request any different than : trying to do art, trying to have a girlfriend, trying to have a cat, trying to have emotions.

Spoiler:
I guess you just have to put him to bed, but there is technically no reason to put him to bed. Similar with Picard. technically no reason to give him a lifespan.

Snappy

n00b
I agree that Riker showing up and punking out the Romulans and the Picard <> Data arc closure were really awesome / well done.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Narek was completely forgotten about in the second half of the finale. Just poof, gone. No mention about him from other characters. I expected at least a blurb or two about him from the other characters wondering where the fuck he went.

A few hours after seeing it I remembered there was something missing. He was just gone, no mention of him. Expert writing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I mean, it's watchable enough to get more Picard and Data, and closure for Data. But in hindsight, it wasn't that great.
For me, it's like a splinter timeline. One timeline is the original series, TNG and maybe the first couple seasons of DS9. The alternate universe is the later seasons of DS9 with the Dominion War, the TNG movies with the dumbed down action hero Picard, and Voyager, continuing that Borg Queen buffoonery and other nonsense. In my mind, this Picard series was a sequel to those garbage TNG movies and Voyager (also garbage).

I'd agree this series wasn't great, but it was at least better than any of the TNG movies.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For me, it's like a splinter timeline. One timeline is the original series, TNG and maybe the first couple seasons of DS9. The alternate universe is the later seasons of DS9 with the Dominion War, the TNG movies with the dumbed down action hero Picard, and Voyager, continuing that Borg Queen buffoonery and other nonsense. In my mind, this Picard series was a sequel to those garbage TNG movies and Voyager (also garbage).

I'd agree this series wasn't great, but it was at least better than any of the TNG movies.
I used to defend Voyager. When I was a kid we didn't have cable. Literally like 5 channels at my boonies house. After season...4? I think? It went on summer break, and then fuckin never came back. It was the season finale with the Borg where Janeway was bargaining with them.

I was like huh, must've been canceled. Years later I found out it moved to UPN.

Then I decided to rent the DVDs from Netflix and watch through it.

I no longer defend that shit ass Trek series. Fuck Voyager. But the Doc was cool. And Kes was hot.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

The TNG movies really a pretty terrible, aren't they. It really sucks but I just can't watch them anymore, they're that bad. It's strange because some of my favorite original cast moments are from the movies made in the 80's. The TNG films just couldn't get it done, they really do suck.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
TNG movies weren't made for the fans.

I watched First Contact when I was 9. Had never watched an episode in entirety but knew it was a TV show. To me, it was basically a zombie-action movie in space. I loved it. That's who the movies were made for, the lowest common denominators.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
TNG movies weren't made for the fans.

I watched First Contact when I was 9. Had never watched an episode in entirety but knew it was a TV show. To me, it was basically a zombie-action movie in space. I loved it. That's who the movies were made for, the lowest common denominators.
I think First Contact is the only good TNG movie.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I haven't seen it in close to 20 years probably on TV, but for whatever reason I have a distinct memory of watching it in the theater. It was absolutely packed on a Friday night and the theater was freezing with AC. The movie was this scary action blockbuster (people getting turned into a Borg was basically a zombie thing) that was unsettling (Borg queen design) and at the same time heartwarming (people on Earth working together to develop warp speed). I have a good memory of watching the film in the theater but no desire to rewatch the film now. It was definitely a successful film in that it catered to an audience who didn't watch TNG, so I can understand why fans hated it. It made $146 million on a $45 million budget, geez I remember a time when making more than $100 million box office was a big deal.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I hadn't seen First Contact for years and years, but after watching Picard, I decided to give it another shot. It's near unwatchable. It's dumb, it's silly, it's way more boring than I remembered, and every scene with the scientist/pilot dude who invented the warp drive is so excruciating, I had to tap out about halfway through the movie.

It might be the least awful of the TNG movies, but it's still plenty awful.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Agreed. 7 and 10 were middling with some good bits. 9 was just trash. 8 is great, though it's aged a bit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I hadn't seen First Contact for years and years, but after watching Picard, I decided to give it another shot. It's near unwatchable. It's dumb, it's silly, it's way more boring than I remembered, and every scene with the scientist/pilot dude who invented the warp drive is so excruciating, I had to tap out about halfway through the movie.

It might be the least awful of the TNG movies, but it's still plenty awful.

They're all really freaking bad. Again, how it is all 3 are such crap is beyond me. They could have been ok, the overall plot of each film is solid enough, but the application is just terrible.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Picard suffers from the same thing as all shows revisiting the past right now. It's impossible to live up to expectations.
TNG is old enough that many people only remember the good stuff. They forget about "season 1.

Picard" was as good as it could be outside of JLP commanding the Federation fleet against a Romulan War.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
They're all really freaking bad. Again, how it is all 3 are such crap is beyond me. They could have been ok, the overall plot of each film is solid enough, but the application is just terrible.

I've kind of had the opposite reaction to them. I loved First Contact when it came out...then the subsequent others disappointed me when they came out. HOWEVER, I love them all now. I love how Insurrection feels like an episode and not a movie. I love Generations...I fucking love all of them. I realize why they don't appeal to most, but I can slap on any Trek movie...even the very first and just bathe in the warm glowing glow. Maybe not 5, but even then, if it's on I wouldn't turn it off. I don't really dislike any of them.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I think generations is more funny to me now than when I saw it years ago. It's not great but it's a fun romp.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I think generations is more funny to me now than when I saw it years ago. It's not great but it's a fun romp.

Yeah, that's kind of how I view all of the TNG flicks. I remember seeing First Contact opening night...packed house...cosplayers in shitty Borg costumes. Opening scene when Worf gets promoted some black dude down in front yelled "BOUT DAMN TIME!". So good.