Playstation 3 80 gigs drops to $299 retail

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Bottom line is if your planning to own a ps3, its better to get the current larger unit which has proven a reliable design. As for BC, no you will not find a 80 gig new in the wild with BC unless you stumble magically across one still in inventory. You had 3 chances to pick up a unit with BC but the bus has long passed.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Just wait for the Slim.... more gigs in a smaller package

Shino

Ninja Combat Warrior
yeah, probably should wait for the slim, going for more storage and the sleek design

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
The Slim dropped the Linux support. Not as friendly as the larger units.

Well, now that Linux requires a mod to enable, there's gonna be a huge push to do that.

The pirates are just script kiddies, and can't actually develop hacks for these consoles - but once you piss off the Linux guys, they're gonna tear the system a new one.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Still too much.

As much as everyone hates the Wii, I happen to like it more than PS3 or Xbox 360. In my mind, that makes it worth more than they are.

I spent 250 dollars on my Wii, which was barely worth it. This generation as a whole is very lacking. So if 250 was borderline too much for the Wii, I won't spend more than 200+tax on a PS3. It can be used, and any model. Doesn't matter. But I won't spend more than I spent on my Wii for a PS3.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Still too much.

As much as everyone hates the Wii, I happen to like it more than PS3 or Xbox 360. In my mind, that makes it worth more than they are.

I spent 250 dollars on my Wii, which was barely worth it. This generation as a whole is very lacking. So if 250 was borderline too much for the Wii, I won't spend more than 200+tax on a PS3. It can be used, and any model. Doesn't matter. But I won't spend more than I spent on my Wii for a PS3.

This generation has been great.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Online gaming has been pretty great on these consoles as well. I don't want to play any SF or KOF offline ever again.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
This generation has been great.

I'm going to have to disagree, based on comparisons to previous generations.

Last Generation: Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, Game Boy Advance, N-Gage, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color

I'll take the sixth generation over the current because I think the PS2 is better than PS3, Wii is better than Gamecube, and Xbox is better than Xbox 360 (not taking into account backwards compatibility; I'm evaluating them based on their own libraries). And the fact that last generation had a console from SEGA and SNK puts it over the top for me. Dreamcast was outstanding, I love my Neo Geo Pocket Color, and you can't beat the Game Boy Advance.

Fifth generation is my favorite of all time, with Saturn, Nintendo 64, PS1, 3DO, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, and Game Boy Color. Saturn and Nintendo 64 are my two favorite consoles ever, and PS1 is my favorite Sony console, so fifth generation wins. And I'd also have to call the Game Boy Color my favorite handheld of all time. Other consoles are just a bonus, even if they were overpriced failures they had some good games (Virtual Boy Wario Land, Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Gex for 3DO, Tempest 2000 on Jag).

Fourth generation had Genesis+add-ons, Super Nintendo, Neo Geo AES, Turbografx-16+Turbo CD, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Atari Lynx. I would call each of those systems great, SEGA 32X not withstanding. Fourth generation is probably my second favorite of all time.

I would put this generation on par with third generation, with NES, Master System, and 7800. Mostly because Master System and 7800 had small libraries and the generation as a whole lacked a major handheld. And I'll take second generation over seventh any day. Colecovision, Intellivision, 5200, Odyssey[sup]2[/sup] and 2600 are some of my favorite systems out there. I reckon you'd have to call first generation the worst, even though it doesn't seem fair since it was primarily Pong/Odyssey variants.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm going to have to disagree, based on comparisons to previous generations.

Last Generation: Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, Game Boy Advance, N-Gage, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color

I'll take the sixth generation over the current because I think the PS2 is better than PS3, Wii is better than Gamecube, and Xbox is better than Xbox 360 (not taking into account backwards compatibility; I'm evaluating them based on their own libraries). And the fact that last generation had a console from SEGA and SNK puts it over the top for me. Dreamcast was outstanding, I love my Neo Geo Pocket Color, and you can't beat the Game Boy Advance.

Fifth generation is my favorite of all time, with Saturn, Nintendo 64, PS1, 3DO, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, and Game Boy Color. Saturn and Nintendo 64 are my two favorite consoles ever, and PS1 is my favorite Sony console, so fifth generation wins. And I'd also have to call the Game Boy Color my favorite handheld of all time. Other consoles are just a bonus, even if they were overpriced failures they had some good games (Virtual Boy Wario Land, Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Gex for 3DO, Tempest 2000 on Jag).

Fourth generation had Genesis+add-ons, Super Nintendo, Neo Geo AES, Turbografx-16+Turbo CD, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Atari Lynx. I would call each of those systems great, SEGA 32X not withstanding. Fourth generation is probably my second favorite of all time.

I would put this generation on par with third generation, with NES, Master System, and 7800. Mostly because Master System and 7800 had small libraries and the generation as a whole lacked a major handheld. And I'll take second generation over seventh any day. Colecovision, Intellivision, 5200, Odyssey[sup]2[/sup] and 2600 are some of my favorite systems out there. I reckon you'd have to call first generation the worst, even though it doesn't seem fair since it was primarily Pong/Odyssey variants.

I'm not even sure where to start with this post...

What you referred to as the "3d generation" jump started the gaming industry in the US...it was single handedly one of the most important phases in US gaming save the move to common mainstream the PS1 paved. Your favorite "5th generation" saw some of the largest failures ever made...the 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn and VB were all Titanics in the US, only the PS1 came out of that fire without a scratch. The N64 basically had 1st party, Nintendo made titles and little else. That system lost mainstream support and missed and huge titles like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy (among many others). The N64's lack of real support basically doomed the GC before it even hit the shelves.

Lastly...(actually, not lastly but I'm tired to typing), how could you say at this point the "PS2 is better than the PS3"? The PS3 is the PS2 on steroids...give it time and its library will be as vast as the PS2's...comparing a console that has been on the market sice 2000 to one that only had a few years is silly...looking at it that way, basically every current system is just an improvement on the one before it...the 360 is a beefy XBox, the Wii is a beefy GC...it's like saying you like the NES but not the SNES when one was just an improvment on the other.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Still too much...I spent 250 dollars on my Wii, which was barely worth it...I won't spend more than I spent on my Wii for a PS3.
Agreed. I'm certainly not a serious gamer anymore by any means, but anything over $250 for a system is bullshit to the next degree. SNES and PS2 proved that games make the system great, but even they were conceding enough to drop their prices regularly. None of the current generation systems are anywhere close in enjoyable-library value to those two, and yet they seem to think that charging the same cost as a self-built awesome PC is acceptable. For the discerning consumer, this generation is ridiculous.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The N64 basically had 1st party, Nintendo made titles and little else.

The trend has carried over to the GC and the Wii. Few third-party developers are making any games worth mentioning.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Saturn and Nintendo 64 are my two favorite consoles ever

Sorry man, but that statement alone is enough to make me completely discount your opinion. Sure, the Saturn is a legendary console, but the 64? Seriously? Ooooohkay.... :oh_no:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Sorry man, but that statement alone is enough to make me completely discount your opinion. Sure, the Saturn is a legendary console, but the 64? Seriously? Ooooohkay.... :oh_no:

And the Saurn games are only good if you like Jap titles...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't know anyone who bought a Saturn to play US games, myself included.

What you crazy!? There are great games like........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Virtua Fighter Kids?