Possibly Selling Large MVS Collection

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have a rather large MVS collection that I'm thinking about selling. I don't get to play with them much anymore and I already have a MAME cab with all the MVS game roms in it. Having a physical MVS collection seems redundant. However I do love the way they look in their shockboxes on my shelf so I'm not 100% sure I want to sell it. Can someone give me a rough idea of what a collection like this would be worth?

The MVS system is a two board model that has been 'Consolized' with a JROK RGB board and the latest Universe BIOS. It also comes with with two controllers (a pad and the classic controller) and a PS2 controller adapter. The console also has a cool blue LED light that can be turned off and on with a switch. Here's a picture (forgive the horrible quality), it's on the bottom shelf:

gameroom15.jpg

All the MVS games are English labels with intact serial numbers (unless they were JPN only titles). I was really anal about the condition of the labels, so they're almost all in excellent shape. All titles also come with shockboxes and printed inserts:

2020 Super Baseball
3 Count Bout
Aero Fighters 2
Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
Baseball Stars 2
Baseball Stars Professional
Blazing Star
Blues Journey
Breakers Revenge
Burning Fight
Bust a Move
Bust a Move Again (fake labe/boot)
Captain Tomaday
Crossed Swords
Cyber Lip
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Fatal Fury Special
Fighter’s History Dynamite
Football Frenzy
Flip Shot
Galaxy Fight
Ganryu
Ghostlop (repro obviously)
Ghost Pilots
Gururian
Kabuki Klash
King of the Monsters
KOF 94
KOF 95
KOF 96
KOF 97
KOF 98 (label may be fake)
KOF 99
KOF 2000
KOF 2001
KOF 2002
KOF 2003
Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle
Last Blade
League Bowling (fake label)
Magical Drop II (fake label)
Magician Lord
Mahjong Minnasano Okagesamadesu
Master of Syougi
Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug X
Money Puzzle Exchanger
Nam 1975
Neo Mr. Do
Neo Turf Masters
Nightmare in the Dark
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Poochi and Nyaa
Pop n Bounce
Power Spikes II
Puzzle de Pon
Puzzled
Quest of the Jong Master
Quiz Detective: Part2
Rage of the Dragons
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown II
Samurai Shodown III
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V
Sengoku
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
SNK vs Capcom SVC Chaos
Soccer Brawl
Spinmaster
Street Slam
Strikers 1945 Plus
Super Dodgeball
Super Sidekicks
Super Spy
Top Hunter
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Windjammers
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect
Zupapa

The following titles are kits. I'm not sure if they're all 100% complete, some might be missing a sticker set or two:

Metal Slug 4
Metal Slulg 5
Samurai Shodown V
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2003
Galaxy Fight
Zupapa!
SNK vs Capcom
Super Dodgeball
Flip Shot
Pochi and Nyaa
Rage of Dragons
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Sengoku 3

I'd like to sell these as a set, but I know I can probably get more if I piecemeal them out. I might end up doing that if no one wants the 'Instant Collection'. Here's a picture that shows most of the games (sorry about the quality), but some are hidden off to the right behind the closet wall.

gameroom23.jpg

Tempest

Last edited:

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
PM sent about a few carts. Well, if you decide to sell individually.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Damn nice collection you got there. Good luck with the sale...if you do.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got any idea what you want for the lot? There's an off chance I might be interested.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Got any idea what you want for the lot? There's an off chance I might be interested.

Well that's the million dollar question. I was hoping someone here (interested in buying or otherwise) might give me an idea as to what to ask. I suppose using the MVS price list on the site and going down the middle would be the best way to estimate the price (all the carts are in really great condition with intact serials), but there are some outliers that would skew the price a bit (shockboxes, printed inserts, complete kits, etc.). So I'm not really sure.

In addition to what I listed above I found six extra shockboxes and some instruction cards. Some of the instruction cards are probably repros, I'm not sure how to tell though. I'll list out the ones I found tonight.

Tempest

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'd be interested in the 6 extra shock boxes. What would you want for them?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'd be interested in the 6 extra shock boxes. What would you want for them?
Well ideally I'd like to include them in the whole collection, but if I decide to sell them individually I'll let you know.

What is the going price of a shockbox these days? I think they cost me $7.50 new when I bought them a few years ago.

Tempest

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I used a spreadsheet to do a 'real' average price base on the price list and came up $5,700 (the actual range was $4,690 - $6,765). This include the value of the shockboxes, printed inserts, and the system with controllers (plus some extra misc. items like extra inserts and instruction cards).

Of course the price is negotiable, but since everyone wanted a price range I thought I should post one.

EDIT: If it wasn't already made clear in the above description, all the games come with shockboxes and I have a few extra. So that's around 100 shockboxes that are included (with inserts).

Tempest

Last edited:

Ricter1439

n00b
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your not able to sell the entire collection I would be interested in buying Name-1975 and Magician Lord from you. Not sure how much you want for them but let me know if your interested.

Blazing Star

New Challenger
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you decide to sell individually, there are a few i would buy for sure!!!
Great collection by the way!!!!!
Craig

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm still not sure I want to split this up, I'll make up my mind in a couple of weeks. A few people have been PMing me about specific titles, I'll make a note of those.

Tempest

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've been giving this a lot of thought since my last post. I'd still like to sell this collection as a whole, even though I know I won't get nearly as much as if I were to parcel it out. Between my job and persuing a masters degree, I just don't think I have the time to undertake such a task (I've done something like this before).

I'd still like to get $4,500 for this collection. That's based on the low price for each game (according to the price guide), which I think is reasonable give that I'm selling this as a giant lot. I think the price is low enough that someone could buy it for the rare titles they want and sell the rest to recoup some money. Remember that these games all come with shockboxes and there are a few extra.

As always, shoot me a PM if interested. I'm open to negotions, and I might lower the price if I feel the deal is a good one. But remember, this is not a hardship sale. So I'm not going to sell at 'crazy low' prices.

To summarize, the collection includes:

* Consolzed MVS console (2 Slot with JROK RGB board and a cool blue LED light-up feature)
* 2 Controllers (one classic stick, one pad) plus a PS2 to Neo Geo adapter
* 109 MVS cartridges (all with shockboxes and inserts). All English (unless it was a Japanese exclusive) with intact serials.
* 14 kits (included in the above total)
* 7 extra shockboxes

I'll also toss in some unused inserts and some mini-marquees (some may not be original, I can never tell).

I tried taking some newer pictures, but my iPhone camera isn't the best.

The Collection:
neo1.jpg

These are the games you can't see in the first pic because they're blocked by the closet wall:
neo3.jpg

The Neo Geo itself:
neo4.jpg

Tempest

Last edited:

Aripug

n00b
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm seriously interested about mvs cart of metal slug 5 :)
How much for this?
Paypal could be ok for a payment?
Let me know!
Thank you

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I think this is a great deal for someone who lives in the area and has the cash to buy the whole lot instead of collecting over time.
Good luck with the sale, man.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Dont suppose you'd ship it to the UK? :D

Sure, but it would co$t a ton. :D

I think this is a great deal for someone who lives in the area and has the cash to buy the whole lot instead of collecting over time.
Good luck with the sale, man.

I actually don't think shipping will be THAT bad as long as someone doesn't expect it sent priority. Of course if you're overseas then this may not hold true.

Tempest

Last edited:

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I appreciate all the interest I've been getting, but at this point I'm not going to split the collection up. I'm going to have to ask people to stop sending me PMs for specific titles.

Tempest

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Rating - 100%
162   0   0
you have a really nice collection here. Don't give in and part it out!....I think you could sell it without having to split it up. You'll just have to hang in there and wait a little bit.

There are buyers/ballers with enough cash to grab this (I mean, this is neogeo we're talking about here..heh).

Good luck with your sale!

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
you have a really nice collection here. Don't give in and part it out!....I think you could sell it without having to split it up. You'll just have to hang in there and wait a little bit.

There are buyers/ballers with enough cash to grab this (I mean, this is neogeo we're talking about here..heh).

Good luck with your sale!

Yeah I know it's a lot to ask for someone to take it all at once, but I think it will work out best that way. I'm hoping to find someone who either wants an instant collection or needs several of the titles and is willing to sell the rest.

Tempest

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I was checking into shipping overseas for someone else. I'm guessing it will be around $600-$700. I'm looking for cheaper shipping options (via boat for instance), but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone here know of a cheap way to ship about 160 pounds of stuff overseas?

Tempest