Power of Neo geo

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What do you think of the power of NeoGeo during the last fourteen years of life? Almost at the end of his life, when its creators knew the power of neogeo, do you think they could have squeezed more out of the hardware and made an even better sequel than Garou?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
What do you mean, the last fourteen years, or the last four years? The life of the system was only fourteen years.
Games like the Last Blades, and Garou, were about as good as the Neo could do, at least for fighting games. Maybe they could have added more characters/levels to them, though.
With the NG Devteam games, they are pushing the graphics of Neo shooters even further.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I think kof 2003 exhibited every trick developers had done with the neo up to that point. Good game to end the neo geo series with.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I think kof 2003 exhibited every trick developers had done with the neo up to that point. Good game to end the neo geo series with.
I think the graphical limits of the Neo were a good thing, because they forced the developers to make the graphics/gameplay as good as they could. But in the end the Neo's limits ended up being just a handicap.
The Atomiswave had (technically) better graphics, but the system didn't last as long. With games like Metal Slug 6, it's obvious there wasn't as much work put into the graphics (backgrounds) as the earlier Slugs.
As far as 2D fighters, you could say that the CPSIII was the successor to the Neo Geo.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Motw was a nice obvious treat but the likes of RB2 and KOF'99 were good examples of the limits. The only thing to expand upon was pure data ie. Bank switching so more characters, etc.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
2k3, good game?:spock:

I'll have what you're having
I think what he means is the visual style of the game? There are folks that swear by it, though. I don't enjoy 2K3 much personally, but it is one of if not the best looking Playmore era game aside from the colorful but stylistically different Matrimelee. That said, it still doesn't hold a candle to pre-2001 works.

To the OP: Make a game better than Garou? You mean better looking? Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Garou had great art design and a huge memory footprint for only 14 relatively small character sprites that lead to the incredible amount of animation. Most Neo games capped at around 708 mega bits. So while I think Garou 2 would have looked great, it would be more akin to the subtle differences between Real Bout 2 and Real Bout Special if it was released in some alternate universe where SNK made better business decisions in the final few years before the bankruptcy.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Regardless of what one thinks of the quality of 2003, from a technical perspective it was as close to ALL the Neo could do as any dev ever did. There were some good dev interviews from the time where someone was explaining that things fit so tightly in that game that every character in the game had to fit within some limit to make the final boss music possible. If “Burn Knuckle” was two audio frames longer it would exceed resources in the final stage.

Something like that…I’m paraphrasing a distillation of a decades old memory…the point is the system is MAXED on 2003.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Yeah I heard the pcm piano music for adelheids stage takes up a bunch of memory just by itself.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You *could* say that-but I wouldn’t.

The successor to the Neo•Geo is PGM1 and PGM2; cart based, sprite pushing monsters.
2D graphics are something that has been lost from arcade games. No matter how good the graphics of a 3D game are, they can't match the character of the old 2D games with hand-drawn graphics, and big sprites.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

The successor to the Neo•Geo is PGM1 and PGM2; cart based, sprite pushing monsters.

The successor to the Neo honestly felt like it would just be the Saturn. When KOF95 came out I was pretty sure they were going to do that…

…but in the end I’m pretty sure it’s most accurate to say that the sequel to the Neo was the Atomiswave.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I think the graphical limits of the Neo were a good thing, because they forced the developers to make the graphics/gameplay as good as they could. But in the end the Neo's limits ended up being just a handicap.
The Atomiswave had (technically) better graphics, but the system didn't last as long. With games like Metal Slug 6, it's obvious there wasn't as much work put into the graphics (backgrounds) as the earlier Slugs.
As far as 2D fighters, you could say that the CPSIII was the successor to the Neo Geo.

The CPS III was the successor to the CPS II

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

PGM is a Neo Geo clone, not a successor. The scant improvements are just because it's so much newer.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
PGM is a Neo Geo clone, not a successor. The scant improvements are just because it's so much newer.

Play Sengoku 3, and Oriental Legend 2 PGM2 in the same afternoon, and get back to me.

Lol@ ‘scant.’

4p support, multiple card reader support, more power under the hood both gfx and sound…it’s like you’ve never *played* PGM2, just saw a vid or read about it somewhere.

C’mon, man.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Play Sengoku 3, and Oriental Legend 2 PGM2 in the same afternoon, and get back to me.

Lol@ ‘scant.’

4p support, multiple card reader support, more power under the hood both gfx and sound…it’s like you’ve never *played* PGM2, just saw a vid or read about it somewhere.

C’mon, man.
PGM1 scant for sure, considering when it was made.

I said nothing of PGM2

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
What do you mean, the last fourteen years, or the last four years? The life of the system was only fourteen years.
Games like the Last Blades, and Garou, were about as good as the Neo could do, at least for fighting games. Maybe they could have added more characters/levels to them, though.
With the NG Devteam games, they are pushing the graphics of Neo shooters even further.
I mean with the fourteen years that the creators made better and better games with the same hardware they realized the potential of neogeo.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I mean with the fourteen years that the creators made better and better games with the same hardware they realized the potential of neogeo.
Maybe technically this is true but not in terms of the quality.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
sprite design has evolved significantly, and if applied to Neo hardware it would make it seem like it had more to go.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
CV1000 might be more powerful, no tiles, no sprites, no palletes, just framebuffer

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Well... We got PS5s and LGBT4k+ hardwares and they still haven't made a better Garou in over 20 years... So if it's science-fiction we're doing, I guess we can push it so far as saying that yes, in an extremely alternate reality, they could have done one on that 1990 hardware.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
sprite design has evolved significantly, and if applied to Neo hardware it would make it seem like it had more to go.
I'm not up on this. In what ways has sprite design improved since the early 00s? Or rather, could today's sprite design be applied to the neo geo? Sure there's games today with gorgeous high res colorful sprites but if the neo is limited to a low video resolution and maybe palette limitations, maybe that high res gorgeousness isn't going to translate any better than Foxy and Angel in Kof 2001.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm not up on this. In what ways has sprite design improved since the early 00s? Or rather, could today's sprite design be applied to the neo geo? Sure there's games today with gorgeous high res colorful sprites but if the neo is limited to a low video resolution and maybe palette limitations, maybe that high res gorgeousness isn't going to translate any better than Foxy and Angel in Kof 2001.
Oh my get the pillows out