Problem with a CPS3 motherboard

capo

New Challenger
I got recently a Third Strike CPS3 with his motherboard.
When I power on, I have only a black screen.
I checked my system and everything is connected.
I tried the game with another motherboard and that's work...
So I guess it's the motherboard who has a problem. I clean it and still that black screen...
Any idea would be appreciate.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I had the same problem. Remove each Dimm and clean them individually. That should clear up your problem.

Valgar

NEST Puppet
I have the same problem with one particular cart, but you say this cart works on another MoBo?

What region Third Strike is it?

The USA 3rd Strike Cartridge I have has not worked on two different MoBos I have tried, I just get the black screen and the disc will spin for awhile.

One thing I noticed is the Security Cart had a different number on the back compared to my other two...

Last edited:

capo

New Challenger
Yes the cart works with another of my motherboard (the one I'm using to play Warzard). But the motherboard who is defect doesn't work with my other games (Warzard and Street Fighter 3 2th Impact).

My Street 3.3 is a japanese.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
do cps3 got the suicide problem??

Valgar

NEST Puppet
No the CPS3 will display a garbled mess when the battery is dead or no cart is inserted. CAPCOM did it to stop bootlegs.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. I have a black screen with one of my 3rd Strike carts. It's not the mobo, I have a working 3rd strike cart and it works in the both mobos. The cart doesnt work in either mobo. I tried cleaning the contacts with electronic pcb cleaner. Didn't work...any ideas? I bought the "non working" cart from a local retired arcade op, hopefully he'll help me out with this issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I also just checked voltage on the carts battery. It's perfectly fine...damn, I wish I knew what the problem was.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Misplaced DIMMs? They need to be in certain spots for the games to work...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You get a garbled screen when the security cart is dead, there must be something else wrong with the cart but what else can go wrong when it's untouched other than the battery dieing?

As others have mentioned before, try cleaning each DIMM slot and the RAM stick, if all else fails then if the board doesn't have a bettery on it, clean it with water and dry quickly and thoroughly.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
lachlan said:
You get a garbled screen when the security cart is dead, there must be something else wrong with the cart but what else can go wrong when it's untouched other than the battery dieing?

As others have mentioned before, try cleaning each DIMM slot and the RAM stick, if all else fails then if the board doesn't have a bettery on it, clean it with water and dry quickly and thoroughly.

It's not a mobo problem. The working cart works in both mobos. The "non-working" doesnt work in either one.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
DaemoN said:
So maybe the cart IS dead afterall...

I vote that, too. This arcade op's tech guy will take a look at this hardware. If he can't get it to work, I guess i'll just get my cash back. Sucks, I really wanted it to work too.