Proof the Atomiswave was the successor to Neo Geo!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'm lying.

It was just a Dreamcast that had it's GD-Rom replaced with a cart.

mNWKhor.jpg

MPBZada.jpg

E2c22N8.jpg

Meet the Atomiswave Dev Kit, the System X. It truly is a Dreamcast Katana box with a Flash Cart where the GD-Rom sat. The PCB you see on the front contains a Jamma interface and what I assume is an expansion port. I was able to trace out the Jamma pins, but I didn't try the other port.

I bought it as non-working, but it turned out to be just a faulty PSU. It also has a custom BIOS PCB, and a JVS interface. Haven't tested the JVS.

When you turn it on, you get a black screen. It took me a few hours, but I was able to get it to boot the flashed game with the Dreamcast SDK.

Unfortunately the game is Ranger Mission. The HDD contents are much more interesting though. At least 5 games were created/debugged/tested with this thing. What's great is the contents look to be in a format that Dreamcast devs could possibly work with. I'm able to view and export PVR images/textures.

t0Cvtpz.png

Since the AW SDK has never been released, there are a lot of things I cannot do with this. The DC software can handle a few things, but I cant flash the card inside

All the HDD contents and photos will be released soon. I bought this earlier this year and I haven't messed with it in a few months, so I need to organize pics and stuff and make a video of it working.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I love seeing this kind of stuff!

brizzo

n00b
This is amazing! I've been wondering for a long while where this ended up, assuming it came from eBay. Very excited to see it landed in friendly hands!

A couple months ago working with MetalliC we finally solved the internal EPR checksum implemented on AW so we can finally run our own code without restriction. Since then I've been working on exporting/ripping the compiled Atomiswave SDK libraries from existing games. It has been a pain, as there were several versions of the main sdk lib:

--------------------------------------------------
SystemX Library Version 1.01
Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000 SEGA
Copyright (C) 2001 SI Electronics

SystemX Library Version 1.11
Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000 SEGA
Copyright (C) 2001,2002,2003 SI Electronics

Shinobi Library for AtomisWave Version 2.01
Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 SEGA
Copyright (C) 2001,2002,2003 SI Electronics

I am very, very hopeful that perhaps some of the debug information from the HDD can assist with the process. Cannot wait to see photos of the insides!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Nice find NTM!

I have just gotten into the AW game but have always been a Dreamcast fan. This is interesting stuff.

-SD-

Camel Slug
That's really cool, thanks for sharing the pictures. I assume Naomi development is through a similar Katana based box? Never seen one of those either.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Another awesome NTM find. Thanks for sharing.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm glad it found its way to you!

Thanks for showing this off.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Very cool. Great find and thanks for sharing.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Turf, that is god level badassery!

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm lying.

mNWKhor.jpg

MPBZada.jpg

E2c22N8.jpg

Meet the Atomiswave Dev Kit, the System X. It truly is a Dreamcast Katana box with a Flash Cart where the GD-Rom sat. The PCB you see on the front contains a Jamma interface and what I assume is an expansion port. I was able to trace out the Jamma pins, but I didn't try the other port.

I bought it as non-working, but it turned out to be just a faulty PSU. It also has a custom BIOS PCB, and a JVS interface. Haven't tested the JVS.

When you turn it on, you get a black screen. It took me a few hours, but I was able to get it to boot the flashed game with the Dreamcast SDK.

Unfortunately the game is Ranger Mission. The HDD contents are much more interesting though. At least 5 games were created/debugged/tested with this thing. What's great is the contents look to be in a format that Dreamcast devs could possibly work with. I'm able to view and export PVR images/textures.

t0Cvtpz.png

Since the AW SDK has never been released, there are a lot of things I cannot do with this. The DC software can handle a few things, but I cant flash the card inside

All the HDD contents and photos will be released soon. I bought this earlier this year and I haven't messed with it in a few months, so I need to organize pics and stuff and make a video of it working.

So you were the one I was bidding against a few months back lol.

Last edited:

p1pkin

n00b
this is just amazing! when we lost that ebay auction I was thought this item was lost forever, but its not. thanks man!

the fact it have JVS connector makes me think it may be based on NAOMI dev.box, not Katana. in such case JVS connector will be wired to some PCB with "Sega 315-6146" MCU in QFP176 case, or it may be populated on main board.

"System X" is codename of Atomiswave hardware in general, all AW games starts with such text signature.

is there any chances to get dumps of its firmwares ? at least its not hard in case of "Tester BIOS ROM", if its socketed same as in Katana units. the rest of flash roms (regular BIOS, DA and GDM firmwares) is probably SMD, so require equipment and skills.

nice to see there was assets from Chicago/Chase 1929, including unused title screen :) (iirc this game load resources from compressed containers, so almost all plain .PVR files you see there is development leftovers, not used by game itself)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
this is just amazing! when we lost that ebay auction I was thought this item was lost forever, but its not. thanks man!

the fact it have JVS connector makes me think it may be based on NAOMI dev.box, not Katana. in such case JVS connector will be wired to some PCB with "Sega 315-6146" MCU in QFP176 case, or it may be populated on main board.

"System X" is codename of Atomiswave hardware in general, all AW games starts with such text signature.

is there any chances to get dumps of its firmwares ? at least its not hard in case of "Tester BIOS ROM", if its socketed same as in Katana units. the rest of flash roms (regular BIOS, DA and GDM firmwares) is probably SMD, so require equipment and skills.

nice to see there was assets from Chicago/Chase 1929, including unused title screen :) (iirc this game load resources from compressed containers, so almost all plain .PVR files you see there is development leftovers, not used by game itself)

It's a Katana, not a NAOMI. More pics of the internals will be posted soon. I have a Katana as well and all internals match it. The BIOS sits on a PCB with extra SRAM and battery similar to the circuit found on AW systems. All extra PCBs are labeled SystemX, even the JVS sub board. So at some point Sammy had considered JVS for the AW.

The HD will be uploaded soon and I will get around to dumping the BIOS as well. I don't remember what the firmware is, but I will take a look again through the DC Dev tools and see what they say.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Photo of the firmware versions.
SheR9qL.jpg

And a quick video showing it boot. The game recognizes the Dreamcast controller, but only the start button. For the hell of it, I did try DC light guns and mouse. Neither are recognized.

brizzo

n00b
Makes me so happy to see it up and running!

Can confirm some Atomiswave games support mouse/keyboard from disassembling them, used for development in hidden menus/interfaces

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
PM sent for PiPP!N Proto

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm lying.

Then how come we didn't get any Atomiswave to DC ports? All the recent porting was to NAOMI. They're both arcade systems, how does that help anyone?